PDA

View Full Version : need some scope suggestion on ss

basing110
09-13-2008, 9:25 PM
well i got my larue mount orderd up and have a micro red dot and mount on its way so im now trying to decide what scope to run on my 24" 6.5 grendel im gonna be shooting anywhere from 300 to 1000 yrds and im having troubles deciding on getting the 10x or 16x super sniper got the micro dot for anything up to 300 now just need teh part up to 1000 so should i get the 10x or 16x and why that one?

ar15barrels
09-14-2008, 12:02 AM
Always err on the side of low power.
Shooting to 1000 is not a problem with a 10X scope, but shooting 200 with a 16x can be a problem.

Where do you plan to shoot to 1000 anyways?

basing110
09-14-2008, 10:49 AM
i have a buddy with a ton of land somwhere in the desert.. they go shoot 50's their and other large bores and he said he will take me out their when i get this thing built and help me work up to shootin 1000 yrds without a ton of luck since im kinda new to long distance .

ar15barrels
09-14-2008, 11:06 AM
i have a buddy with a ton of land somwhere in the desert.. they go shoot 50's their and other large bores and he said he will take me out their when i get this thing built and help me work up to shootin 1000 yrds without a ton of luck since im kinda new to long distance .

Hitting at 1000 is more about wind reading and judging actual distance than anything else.

X-NewYawker
09-14-2008, 11:13 AM
Leupold 30mm tubed 6.5-20x Mark IV version

CSACANNONEER
09-14-2008, 11:20 AM
If you want to shoot 1000 yards, I suggest the 20X. With the 20X, you will be able to see some mirage much of the time and, unlike what some people will claim, I think that seeing mirage is a good thing. If you can't see it, you can't learn to read it and, if you learn to read mirage, you'll be able to know more about what the wind is really doing.

However, if you are planning to do most of your shooting at <300 yards, I'd agree with Randall and sugget getting a 10X.

ar15barrels
09-14-2008, 11:23 AM
However, if you are planning to do most of your shooting at <300 yards, I'd agree with Randall and sugget getting a 10X.

There's the words that people type on forums and there's the real world.
The two worlds rarely cross paths.
Get the 10x.

A leupold 3.5-10 or 4.5-14 would be even better though.

ar15barrels
09-14-2008, 11:24 AM
With the 20X, you will be able to see some mirage much of the time and

I was seeing mirage with my Nikon on 12x yesterday at the 22 match.

rksimple
09-14-2008, 2:41 PM
Just get the 10x and start popping primers. Its more versatile given your criteria. Seeing a b27 at a k is just fine with a 10x. You need to really practice if you want to reliably hit it, however.

X-NewYawker
09-14-2008, 2:51 PM
Rocky Chandler who makes rifles for the real world (and used them in a few wars) recommends the 3.5-10x, or one of the Nighforce variables that go to 15X TOPS. Same reasons, seeing mirage and the effect of your heartbeat, decreased field of view -- these are SNIPER concerns.

If you are just punching paper, you may want the higher magnification scopes to make target acquisition easier, and then a variable is still a better idea as a fixed Mark IV 16x is very limiting

sb_pete
09-14-2008, 3:10 PM
I was looking at the Super Snipers when putting together my 10fp. I ended up going with a Millett TRS-1 (4-16X50mm). It has served me very well and is in the same price range. It has survived a few drops without shifting zero so I am very happy with it.

I haven't been able to get out to 1000yds yet, but I shoot at 600 every month or so. 16x is nice in that I don't have to use a spotting scope to score my shots at that range, but I generally take the shots a 4x. I think the main reason for higher magnification is for target aquisition. Unless you're shooting from prone with a bipod or rest, the higher magnification just gets in the way. Even 10X is really just annoying when shooting offhand. I would suggest a variable power scope. I like the Millett because they are based in CA and have great customer service. Californians who work for Millett and know the product answer the phone, not some call center. Steve Millett shows up on Optics forums and backs up his product. Even though they are made in China, the company is here. Leupold and up are better glass, etc., but if you are trying to keep the costs down and get a Mil-Dot scope, I would recommend the Millett.

Hope that helps
-Pete

ar15barrels
09-14-2008, 3:10 PM
If you are just punching paper, you may want the higher magnification scopes to make target acquisition easier

Target aquisition is easier with LOWER power scopes, not higher.
You get lost when you have too narrow a field of view.

basing110
09-14-2008, 3:14 PM
been hearing about a fair amount of people returning their millets with probs .. that and they are way to damn hard to find right now been searching for 1 month now and they are all sold out and will be a month until they are in i hear

been kinda thinking about spending a little more and getting the falcon optics 4-14x44 ffp got a lead time of 2 weeks i gotta have this scope in my hands and mounted by end of sept

technique
09-14-2008, 3:16 PM
I love fixed 10X

rksimple
09-14-2008, 3:25 PM
Plenty of millets falling apart, as well as some falcons. For the money, the Bushnell 3200 10x mildot cannot be beat. Get it, and with the 120+ bucks you save, buy ammo and practice. Use it in different positions, conditions and environments. After you have a couple thousand rounds behind it, you'll have a better idea of what you want in a scope.

sb_pete
09-15-2008, 12:49 AM
The Milletts falling apart are the new LRS-1 35mm main tube beast. The TRS-1s have been holding up very well. The first gens had QC probs, the second gens less so and the 3rd gens are better yet. They are coming out with a fourth gen soon that has 1/4 minute clicks. That's probably what the hard to find part is.

Most importantly though, the Milletts come with a great warranty that the company is happy to back up with nice customer service. I haven't had any issues with my TRS-1, but I called them a couple times (once with a mounting issue, the other time regarding a set of iron sights). The CS people were friendly, knowledgeable and lived in CA and worked for Millett. That counts for a lot in my book.

No idea on the CS or warranties with Falcon or the SS (although SWFA is well regarded).

Target aquisition is easier with LOWER power scopes, not higher.
Very true generally. Higher magnification helps find small things hidden in the brush though.

-Pete