PDA

View Full Version : Vector or JLD???

gunrun45
09-13-2008, 5:28 PM
JLD PTR-91 18 or Vector V51LS--V-51 LS

OK, I'm gonna buy one or the other and run a bat wing grip so I can use my full cap mags. Which one should I get?

Any thoughts as to which model of which brand to look for?
Any info is apreciated.
Always wanted a HK type rifle since I passed on all those HK91's back in the 80's :(

moulton
09-13-2008, 5:43 PM
Last I heard Vector was in the crapper, something about their best gunsmith leaving and the owner havening trouble with the feds. :confused:

Technowizard
09-13-2008, 6:15 PM
Have the JLD PTR-91... and its a damn high quality for a clone HK. Remember, the PTR is built using actual HK manufacturing equipment.

aplinker
09-13-2008, 7:28 PM
Have the JLD PTR-91... and its a damn high quality for a clone HK. Remember, the PTR is built using actual HK manufacturing equipment.

and all gun mfgrs tell the truth.

gunrun45
09-14-2008, 8:24 AM
Thanks guys, anybody else?
Looking for lots of words of wisdom before I drop another grand.

ghost
09-14-2008, 8:32 AM
you cant even compare the two.the jld is way better in quality and finish then the vector is imo.

gunrun45
09-14-2008, 10:29 AM
Well, I guess the fact that everyone has voted JLD is a good thing. Looks like Vector is closing shop now anyway (per HKpro boards)...

Anybody else have any info about which JLD to invest in?

marxdspot
09-14-2008, 10:36 AM
From what I've read, JLD bought off the machining and info from the Ports to make an excellent if not perfect clone of the HK91. I've got a PTR-91 and just love it.

edward
09-14-2008, 10:39 AM
Well, I guess the fact that everyone has voted JLD is a good thing. Looks like Vector is closing shop now anyway (per HKpro boards)...

Anybody else have any info about which JLD to invest in?

That depends on what you want and ow much you want to spend of course.
The closest copy they do of the G3A3 is the PTR 91F - you can think of it as a the 'stock' model. Full size stock, full size 18" barrel. I bought one about 2 months ago and am very happy with it. Built like a tank.
They have the KF model with a 16" barrel, then some in between models with features taken on and off, then the PTR 91 V (in .243 cal mind you) and the MSG 91 with the bi-pod and adjustable buttstock.
Really depends on how much you want to spend as the differences between them aren't that big.

Q
09-14-2008, 1:21 PM
My PTR is way cleaner than my Greek Sar3 in terms of welding. The PTR is excellent.

I'd look at vector because they're discontinued. Don't have one or seen one in person..
I did want the v93. 223.. but got something else.. Vector might go up in value. My PTR did, bought it when they were JLD.

09-14-2008, 4:01 PM
I have no experience with either, but I have not heard anything negative about JLD.

nikonuser
09-14-2008, 8:56 PM
I own a new PTR 91 and it is slowly replacing my AR15 as my favorite rifle. Excellent finish and quality. I replaced the aluminum handguard with the plastic wide handguard and bought the MFI scope mount so I can put a scope on it. No problem so far and I am able to get 1 - 2 MOA right now but I am sure I can improve on it as I get more familiar with the rifle. Be aware though the recoil on the PTR91F model is a lot harder than the AR15.

marxdspot
09-15-2008, 7:55 AM
I own a new PTR 91 and it is slowly replacing my AR15 as my favorite rifle. Excellent finish and quality. I replaced the aluminum handguard with the plastic wide handguard and bought the MFI scope mount so I can put a scope on it. No problem so far and I am able to get 1 - 2 MOA right now but I am sure I can improve on it as I get more familiar with the rifle.

:useless:

Be aware though the recoil on the PTR91F model is a lot harder than the AR15.

Yup...get ready for that first shot...hehehe...it's a wild one at first, but you get used to it after a couple of bruises on that shoulder. You can either take it and let a callous grow or use a recoil shoulder pad...j/k. Gotta love the accuracy and the punch!

gunrun45
09-15-2008, 10:03 AM
Thanks guys.
Any more tid-bits of wisdom before I palce an order tomarrow?
Thinking the basic model right now from CWS most likely...

a1fabweld
09-15-2008, 12:24 PM
I bought a PTR-91k (16" carbine) & it is my favorite gun hands down! I built some semi hotroded AR's with hope to see what all the hype is about with the AR's being trendy. I can shoot my bone stock PTR-91 carbine better than I can my most tricked out AR. I own a FAL, M1A, AR10, 3-AR15's & I can shoot tighter groups with the PTR than any of the above stated. I have about 1k rounds through it now & not one malfunction. In fact, I just bought a PTR-91f (like the original G3/HK91) because I like the first one so much. Now before anyone goes sideways on me, the above stated is MY PERSONAL EXPERIENCE. Get the PTR & don't look back!!

stillnotbob
09-15-2008, 1:42 PM
Damn it!! I clicked the wrong button on the poll. I meant the JDL. Great... now I will forever be one of the TWO people that voted for vector.:( ...and I actually own at PTR-91!!!!!

I am blaming this on my new born and lack of sleep.

FMJBT
09-15-2008, 3:18 PM
I voted JLD/PTR, but between the two brands you really can't go wrong. You get into trouble when you start buying the HK clones made by Century, Hesse, Federal Arms, Special Weapons, Special Weapons, and Special Weapons. Did I mention Special Weapons?

PIRATE14
09-15-2008, 4:17 PM
I really like this super sniper model by JLD.........

http://i120.photobucket.com/albums/o172/wegoclan/ptr91special.jpg

aplinker
09-15-2008, 4:57 PM
It looks nice (especially the stock), but does it shoot any better than the std? My understanding and experience is with HK91's it's tough to find ones that are accurate and making them more accurate is a pain. That turned me off the platform.

My std held about 2MOA with FGMM. Can that one hold sub-moa?

PIRATE14
09-15-2008, 6:50 PM
It looks nice (especially the stock), but does it shoot any better than the std? My understanding and experience is with HK91's it's tough to find ones that are accurate and making them more accurate is a pain. That turned me off the platform.

They are shooting sub moa......so you're good there...........;)

FMJBT
09-15-2008, 9:37 PM

For the most part, there are only 3 things holding the stock HK design rifles back from being extremely accurate:

Extremely heavy and long trigger pull. Easily fixed by either B. Springfield or Williams Triggers.

Lack of true match grade barrels, very few factory accurized HK variants exsist, and only a few people manufacture match quality barrels (Murray Urbach is the only name that comes to mind)

Non free floating barrel. Although free floating by design, the tolerances are so close that factory guns often have the barrel contacting part of the front sight triple frame. By eliminating the front sight frame altogether, this becomes a non-issue.

Clamp on scope mounts often don't hold zero, or mount optics so high above the action that ergonomics become difficult for consistent shooting. The welded rail on the PTR should fix that issue.

In it's favor, the HK delayed roller locking system has these unique traits:

No gas system.

Roller locking action combined with a short chamber allows for zero headspace on a variety of case sizes.

Little to no loss of reliability when accurized. The design will extract spent cases even without an extractor, and is fairly tolerant of foreign material contamination in the action.

FMJBT
09-15-2008, 9:38 PM

Got any more of those in stock? Or on the way in? WANTWANTWANTWANT:D