ElevenBravO
09-13-2008, 1:05 PM
Pre ban and post ban mean??? Just out of curiosity

5150Marcelo
09-13-2008, 1:40 PM
before, and after ban

Guntech
09-13-2008, 1:45 PM
The Assault Weapons ban, and the classification for the characteristics of weapons after the ban and before the ban. The ban is over, atleast on the federal level, and assuming Obama and Biden dont win.
Basically weapons with so called "evil features" and without "evil features"

Young Version
09-13-2008, 2:53 PM
before, and after ban

:rofl:

aplinker
09-13-2008, 3:27 PM
The Assault Weapons ban, and the classification for the characteristics of weapons after the ban and before the ban. The ban is over, atleast on the federal level, and assuming Obama and Biden dont win.
Basically weapons with so called "evil features" and without "evil features"

Those terms are specifically applied to the Fed AWB, which sunset 10 yrs after it was enacted in 1994.

You can buy whatever you want and just follow CA & NFA law.

Mssr. Eleganté
09-13-2008, 3:38 PM
It is kind of confusing. Pre-ban meant before the 1994 ban started and post-ban meant after the 1994 ban started. But now that the ten year long 1994 ban is over, post-ban could mean post 2004. But that would just be confusing. It seems like the term being used now for post-2004 guns is "no-ban".

Vendors still use the terms in their catalogs and on their web sites. Maybe that will slowly go away as they sell off remaining old stock of "post-ban" products.

jandmtv
09-13-2008, 4:55 PM
before, and after ban

Classic!!! :rofl2:

dribbler
09-13-2008, 8:23 PM
Pre ban and post ban mean??? Just out of curiosity

bro you need to start using the search buttons and google.

aplinker
09-13-2008, 8:39 PM
bro you need to start using the search buttons and google.

gotta love a noob telling a noob to search :)

Seriously, that makes me happy.

Thanks, Dribbler. It's good to remember that about 90% of what you ask can be found in about 10 seconds with a search.

EOD3
09-13-2008, 8:58 PM
I'd hazard a guess he is interested in "what it means to him". For instance, given the evil rifle ban still firmly in place in California, does it make any difference if he buys a pre-ban or post-ban upper assembly from Midway.

Just my BAC

ojisan
09-13-2008, 9:02 PM
gotta love a noob telling a noob to search :)
Seriously, that makes me happy.
Thanks, Dribbler. It's good to remember that about 90% of what you ask can be found in about 10 seconds with a search.

But perhaps he DID do a search on pre and post ban...and "5150Marcello" kept coming up...so perhaps we can excuse the confusion?
:D

aplinker
09-13-2008, 9:18 PM
I'd hazard a guess he is interested in "what it means to him". For instance, given the evil rifle ban still firmly in place in California, does it make any difference if he buys a pre-ban or post-ban upper assembly from Midway.

Just my BAC

I'd hazard he's more interested in why dealers sell some uppers as "pre-ban" and "post-ban."

However, sure... he's also interested about what he can get. However, all of those questions are answered by the flow-chart.

gunshack
09-15-2008, 12:33 PM
It is Vendors still use the terms in their catalogs and on their web sites. Maybe that will slowly go away as they sell off remaining old stock of "post-ban" products.

I think vendors still list pre/post ban options because a few states (NY for sure, and I think NJ and MD as well) enacted their own bans that replicate the 1994 Federal ban. Effectively, the ban never expired in those states.

Anyway, in most cases the terms don't apply to CA law.

ohsmily
09-15-2008, 1:13 PM
before, and after ban

NICE!!!

JeffM
09-15-2008, 1:18 PM
I answered this a little while ago. There have been so many bans that it's hard to hash it out in a simple answer.

But generally "pre-ban" examples of semi-auto rifles have flash hiders and bayonet lugs. "Post-ban" examples had these features removed to comply with the various federal bans, namely the 1994 Assault Weapon ban, but also includes various import bans which are still in effect. This is why some Chinese AKs are still big bucks - pre-import ban examples are rare.

I have seen Post-2004 examples of rifles commonly referred to as "no-ban" to differentiate them from "pre-ban" and "post-ban". And have also seen rifles from 1994-2004 referred to simply as "ban" configured.