PDA

View Full Version : M1 Garand or M1A

wps1999
09-12-2008, 3:02 PM
I am in the market for my first battle rifle. Which one would you guys recommend for me, an M1A or an M1 Garand? What are the advantages and disadvantages for each? Also, Where would be the best place to get a new M1 Garand? Can you still get them from Springfield? Thanks

Spaceghost
09-12-2008, 3:06 PM
Get both. I would look into the civilian marksmanship program to get your first battle rifle.

tlillard23
09-12-2008, 3:09 PM
A new garand????? You must be crazy. go to the ODCMP and get one with some character (before they are gone). then buy the chinsy Chinese made Springfield M1A

wps1999
09-12-2008, 3:23 PM
Doesn't Fulton Armory make new M1 Garands?

NRAhighpowershooter
09-12-2008, 3:30 PM
Doesn't Fulton Armory make new M1 Garands?

Nope, Fulton uses GI receivers and, for the most part, NOS or like new GI parts and Wilson or Criterion barrels (or Kreigers if you want to waste the $$$) and for wood boyds (ugh) stock sets.

vf111
09-12-2008, 3:42 PM
A new garand????? You must be crazy. go to the ODCMP and get one with some character (before they are gone). then buy the chinsy Chinese made Springfield M1A

I wasn't aware Springfield M1A's are made in China - you have proof? And yes, I'm aware some M1A parts are made in Taiwan by Wayne Machine Inc.

vf111
09-12-2008, 3:44 PM
Get both. I would look into the civilian marksmanship program to get your first battle rifle.

Yup - get both. You eventually will anyways :D

Don't forget to pick up an M1 Carbine from CMP while you're at it!

sandsnow
09-12-2008, 3:57 PM
You need both, but I would go with the M1 first. You can get a really nice one from CMP - a correct grade would be a good choice though pricey at $950 to 975. The service grade would still be good and $400 cheaper. It's real and will appreciate. A big plus right now is the ammo available from CMP. Decent 30.06 for around .30 a round.

If you like that then move up to an M1A

M1A will have an advantage in accuracy if you get a good one. Earlier SA's are good and they come up from time to time. I don't much about the new ones. Plus you can scope it if you want real easy.

Match ammo is pricey for the M1A.

Recoil is the same. Capacity is about the same since mags are limited to 10 rounds now.

I have both and love them both.

renardsubtil
09-12-2008, 4:31 PM
I have both, the M1A came first and the Garands came next...they're both in their own league imho.

The Civilian Marksmanship Program (CMP) is the best bet for a good M1 Garand...the setup cost to be "eligible" to buy from them is about $50 ($20 membership and $30 CnR) or less - check out their requirements.

The M1A can be tricked out with a bunch of modern looking gadgets (rails, muzzlebrakes, modern stocks, etc), upgrades (piston upgrades, op rod guides, etc), and parts are relatively easy to be had but everything seems pretty pricey. Ammo is more pricey than the Garand even if you're buying surplus. I'm not sure about hand loading costs as I don't have a reloader yet.

The Garand, I haven't really looked into upgrade stuff, mostly replacement parts. My HRA service grade rifles from the CMP are all good shooters and came with ME and TE around 1.5. I haven't really looked into upgrades. Ammo is pretty cheap and surplus is easy to get too.

I've got a small frame (130lbs, 5'4") and the M1A is way easier to shoot than my Garands, but the Garands are a far better bargain imho if you're looking to get started into the wonderful world of loud boomtsicks :D

Mac Attack
09-12-2008, 4:58 PM
Piiiiiiiiiiiiiing.

M1 Garand all the way. But as others have state you eventually will buy both anyways.

Crazed_SS
09-12-2008, 6:03 PM
I have both. I shoot the Garand more because the surplus ammo from CMP is cheaper than the commercial ammo I get for the M1A. The problem with the Garand is when I run out of ammo, I have to wait for a new shipment from CMP. I guess I should plan ahead.. what happens when CMP runs out though?

Can anyone suggest any commercial ammo that's safe to shoot in the Garand?

drsteve
09-12-2008, 6:26 PM
I have both. I shoot the Garand more because the surplus ammo from CMP is cheaper than the commercial ammo I get for the M1A. The problem with the Garand is when I run out of ammo, I have to wait for a new shipment from CMP. I guess I should plan ahead.. what happens when CMP runs out though?

Can anyone suggest any commercial ammo that's safe to shoot in the Garand?

I think you "should plan ahead" and save your CMP brass. The days of plentiful and relatively cheap surplus .30-06 ammo are coming to an end and your CMP Garand has a finicky appetite. Buy your components now before the stampede and reload some accurate ammo. JMHO Steve

Mssr. Eleganté
09-12-2008, 8:55 PM
I guess I should plan ahead.. what happens when CMP runs out though?

Just buy a lifetime supply of M2 Ball from the CMP right now. It's not like you'll be really spending the money. You'll just be diversifying your portfolio into precious metals. :) I'm only half joking. That Greek ammo will always go up in value, so you can sell it in the future if you have a financial emergency. Buy 20 cases, stick them in the garage and put a piece of plywood over them to make a work bench.

http://www.type03.net/ammo/answer.jpg

It's better to regret buying ammo than to regret not buying ammo.

sandsnow
09-12-2008, 9:01 PM

By the looks of it, the same goes for liquor http://i333.photobucket.com/albums/m390/hwy62/Smileys/beertoastingsmiley.gif

Too bad they don't sell the wood cases of ammo any more

Crazed_SS
09-12-2008, 10:47 PM
Just buy a lifetime supply of M2 Ball from the CMP right now. It's not like you'll be really spending the money. You'll just be diversifying your portfolio into precious metals. :) I'm only half joking. That Greek ammo will always go up in value, so you can sell it in the future if you have a financial emergency. Buy 20 cases, stick them in the garage and put a piece of plywood over them to make a work bench.

http://www.type03.net/ammo/answer.jpg

Think Ill do that.. a year or two ago, a local range here had an entire pallet of SA Surplus .308 for $26/battleback. I only bought seven battlepacks and now Im kicking myself. Like you said, I should have bought the whole pallet.. I'd be sitting on a goldmine right now :(