PDA

View Full Version : Ammo Bros reloads?

palakaboy
09-12-2008, 12:03 PM
anybody have any sort of experience putting these reloads through a 1/8 non chrome lined barrel?

bigthaiboy
09-12-2008, 12:15 PM
Ammo Bros reloads in my experience, have been surefire, and accurate enough for basic range or plinking. I've never tried serious MOA shooting with it, so couldn't tell you.

aplinker
09-12-2008, 1:36 PM
Last time I checked they're more expensive than the new $380/1000 XM193 you can mail order.

NuGunner
09-12-2008, 1:44 PM
I've had good experience w/um for plinking. Good stuff.

Greg-Dawg
09-12-2008, 2:04 PM
Bought their reloads at the Glendale Gun show and no problems. Cool guys too.

xdimitrix
09-12-2008, 5:03 PM
Make sure you count the number of rounds.

Pryde
09-12-2008, 7:02 PM
Ammo bros reloads suck.

All of their rounds are about 4-5mm short of the proper OAL for a 5.56 round. Meaning that since they are shorter than a standard round, it will have to make a larger jump from magazine to chamber which will cause jams.

The reason why they do this is because they are cutting costs and cutting corners. They purposefully use LESS powder to save money and seat the bullet deeper into the case so that it will have enough pressure to properly cycle the action. Shady business practice at its best.

Anybody who reloads and understands the mechanics of producing a .223 round can see this for what it is, which is that they are cheating you to save a few bucks. I feel bad that a lot of people buy their ammo and don't know they are getting screwed.

I don't have any of their reloads on hand but take a pair of calipers and measure one yourself, or put it next to a factory round to compare. A .223 should be 57.4mm long, the ammobros one is most likely somewhere around 52mm.

Dragon
09-12-2008, 7:22 PM
About 1yr-2 I had a real problem with their 223 ammo, in my M4 style rifle.
I bought 500 round of their "new reloads" . Every 30 round mag load would
have at least two malfunction.Oh , I was in Arizona by the way.

This M4 was the first Ar I had built ,so before I took it to Arizona I had a friend of mine who is a police officer ,and has gone to Colt armerer school ,so he is very familiar with the Ar rifle . He looked over the rifle before it was shot , and said it looked very well done ,he then offerd to take it to the P.D. where he worked ,and would try it out for me , so I said go for it,so he did.
He reported back to me the same day and said it shot just fine with the department ammo ,whitch you know is good stuff. He and two other officer that i also know put about 150 rounds threw it no problems.

After the rifle was confermed good ,I went on to Arizona for a few days.
My m4 would not fully eject the round ,and at the same time it would try to load another round ,that would happen with every mag i used. Lukly i brought 150 round of american eagle 223 ,and had not even one single problem with those rounds .

I gave some of the left over rounds to my dad and he checked them out for me ,and he said they where a littil lite on the powder.

I told Ammo Bros about it and they said to bring them back and they would take care of it, but I was so mad with the ammo i gave 300 rounds away,before i told them about what happen.

I,have also heard the same story from another guy ,he had a bullit stop in his barrel before it left the mozzel .

I have used Ammo Bros. 9mm, 40sw. ,and their 45 auto with out a problem.
I'm still not sure of their 223 to this day , not worth the risk for me , and the price is not that great specially for reloads . Wal-Marts Win. white box is slitely cheaper , Pistol ammo anyway.

This is just what happened to me , so it could be fixed by now.

tankerman
09-12-2008, 8:14 PM
I bought a couple of cans from them a year or two back.

Had two different primer types in the same can, ran them over the chronograph and observed an extreme spread of 200-300fps.

Cycled fine, for plinking ammo.

palakaboy
09-13-2008, 1:02 AM
screw it...

all i needed was one bad experience.

not worth a new barrel to save a couple bucks.

Prc329
09-13-2008, 6:50 PM
Good plinking ammo. If looking for extreme accuracy, start reloading yourself.

LIFELINE
11-07-2008, 1:07 PM
Do they use brass casings on their reloads?

Ballistic043
11-07-2008, 1:46 PM
erm yes

my last batch of their reloads was fairly decent. it was not very accurate, and i had 2-3 FTF's (dead primers).but it was so-so.

would i buy it again? eh, probably. its convenient and on the way to BC, good enough for plinking or taking your friends out to shoot. for shot groups look elsewhere

LIFELINE
11-07-2008, 2:02 PM
Just bought some today and the casing doesn't look like brass, the ammo looks similar to Silver Bear ammo. I placed a magnet near the ammo to check if they where magnetic - they're not.

Bruce3
11-07-2008, 2:09 PM
i bought a 250rnd box of .223 from ammobros and they ran through my AR without a single jam or FTF. the cases we kind of dinged up but hey what do you expect from reloads? i dont buy their reloads anymore cause i reload myself which cost me $18 for 100rnds :D

Splinter
11-07-2008, 2:13 PM
I have had bad experiances with their pistol reloads, mainly 45. Talked to them in their store when my friend needed some quick ammo and they were very rude. Even called me stupid in their store for thinking I could find cheaper ammo.

hack job
11-07-2008, 6:00 PM
I had issues( jams, FTFs) with there hand gun ammo. ( never had issues with any other kinds) Ill never use it again.

Capt. Speirs
11-07-2008, 6:29 PM
I have a good buddy that has been reloading for over 40 years and he lives by one rule; "Never use someone elses reloads, reload your own". What he is saying; is that you have no idea what or how it was reloaded and why chance it. BTW, he let me reload my own with his equipment many times, he was not being selfish.

stphnman20
11-07-2008, 6:42 PM
I have a good buddy that has been reloading for over 40 years and he lives by one rule; "Never use someone elses reloads, reload your own". What he is saying; is that you have no idea what or how it was reloaded and why chance it. BTW, he let me reload my own with his equipment many times, he was not being selfish.
Thats a great friend you have.. I wish someone could give me dog & pony on reloading :( I've watch all the reloading vids on youtube already..

Capt. Speirs
11-07-2008, 7:31 PM
Thats a great friend you have.. I wish someone could give me dog & pony on reloading :( I've watch all the reloading vids on youtube already..

This guy is one with ammo; he is an old Pollack (in his own words) from Pennsylvania steel mills.