PDA

View Full Version : single stack AK mags in a high-cap capable AK?

TZL
09-12-2008, 12:29 PM
Hey CG,

I have a AK that is capable of taking the high-cap mags (WASR) like most AK, however I noticed that Hendersen Defense has a good deal ~$6 on some single stack AK 10 rounders. I know these are probably take off and a bit narrower, but does anyone have some advice on adapting these to work? or will they just plain not work?

I was thinking it would be nice to have some cheap 10 roudners for bench shooting when the 10/30's are just too bulky for.

Any ideas?

Thanks,

TZL

Full Clip
09-12-2008, 12:49 PM
I just bought a couple of these:
http://www.centerfiresystems.com/MAGAKA06.aspx
Added spring, US follower and floorplate.
About the same price...

samuelkowal906
09-12-2008, 1:00 PM
they will actually work in a normal, double stack, mag well, however it is not very sturdy... if you're just target shooting it should be ok.

I'll take a picture when i get home of my AK with the single stacks in it if you would like.

bigthaiboy
09-12-2008, 1:12 PM
A few months back, Classic Arms had the single stack WASR 10rd mags for $1.00 each. Why? There's a surplus of them, and nobody needs them.

Even if they feed OK, I suspect they'll wobble like hell.

TZL
09-12-2008, 2:16 PM
maybe i'll just try sticking a bit of plastic on each side to see if i can reduce the wobble I just want to try to center them to make sure they feed alright for bench shooting

Flat Broke
09-12-2008, 9:06 PM
It would stand to reason that if you measured the thickness of a standard AK mag, then added an equal amount of material to each side of the single stack mag to bring it to the std AK mag thickness, it would work. Since you already have em, and couldn't sell em for much, it wouldn't hurt to try. Just cycle the rifle with some snap caps or dumby rounds after the mod to see how it works.

Chris

motorhead
09-12-2008, 9:17 PM
another job for jb weld! they are narrower. single stack rifles require magwell opening to accomodate standard mags. you can usually find the double 10 chinese mags for $10 or less if you shop around. they aren't really popular anywhere else in the u.s. .

wilit
09-12-2008, 10:21 PM
I know for a fact single stacks wouldn't work with my Yugo. The feed lips are too narrow for the bolt to fit through to strip a round out. Not sure if Romys have a narrower lug to strip a round out than the yugos. I haven't compared the two bolts.

TZL
09-17-2008, 4:42 PM
Tested it last night...

YES, the single stacks will work with a WASR, i guess it makes sense since the WASR originally had the single stack mags, then were widened for the double stackers, therefore the bolt should still work since Century doesn't change the WASR bolts.

I know for a fact single stacks wouldn't work with my Yugo. The feed lips are too narrow for the bolt to fit through to strip a round out. Not sure if Romys have a narrower lug to strip a round out than the yugos. I haven't compared the two bolts.