PDA

View Full Version : sighting in a scope

sportsman
09-11-2008, 5:17 PM
Went to the range today with a 30/06 with a leupold scope. Started at 25yds., went to 50 then to 100. Gun is still shooting high but up and down adjustment is adjusted all the way down. Guy at the range told me to remove scope and put electrical tape to shim the front end of the scope up. Is this something that can be done? If the gun is shooting high and adjustment is all the way down would you bring the front of the scope up or down? Any help would be appreciated.took the gun to the sportsman supply today the gunsmith tried to bore site not enough elivation adjustment so he is going to build a base to go on my one piece mount to give me more adjusment scope is sitting to low.i think he said from fiberglass. any insight would be appreciated he said the remington 742 semiautos will shoot high

aplinker
09-11-2008, 5:42 PM
I would try re-mounting 1st. Swap your rings front and back. Bore sight it by pulling the bolt and looking down the bore at something about 50yds away. If you can't get on top of what the bore points at you still have issues. Move the elevation to the extreme and back. Also check that the scope isn't mounted 90 deg off.

I would shim as a last resort.

FORS - forward opposite, rear same

phsieh10
09-11-2008, 5:46 PM
Does your rail mount account for MOA elevation. Also, what type scope do you have. If you have a high mag scope with a canted rail, you will not be able to zero the scope at close range. I had that problem with my Barrett running an NF x42 scope. I had to switch to Barrett adjustable rings to compensate for the cant in the rail.

aplinker
09-11-2008, 6:04 PM
leopold scope front and back rings are diferent cant look down bore semiauto remington 742

windage adjustment is on the right side?

Again I'd re-mount and look for an issue, then run adjustment to extremes and back. Also, was it adjusting in the right direction before you bottomed out?

sportsman
09-11-2008, 6:13 PM
windage adjustment is on the right side?

Again I'd re-mount and look for an issue, then run adjustment to extremes and back. Also, was it adjusting in the right direction before you bottomed out?

turning the up and down down it brought it down but not enough. still shooting high. not sure what you mean when you said is the scope mounted 90 degrees off

sportsman
09-11-2008, 6:20 PM
Does your rail mount account for MOA elevation. Also, what type scope do you have. If you have a high mag scope with a canted rail, you will not be able to zero the scope at close range. I had that problem with my Barrett running an NF x42 scope. I had to switch to Barrett adjustable rings to compensate for the cant in the rail.

leupold scope not sure about zero out.used scope just mounted it and went to the range shot and adjusted but still shooting high

aplinker
09-11-2008, 6:28 PM
turning the up and down down it brought it down but not enough. still shooting high. not sure what you mean when you said is the scope mounted 90 degrees off

if you're shooting the gun looking toward the muzzle, which side is the windage adjustment knob on?

sportsman
09-11-2008, 6:36 PM
if you're shooting the gun looking toward the muzzle, which side is the windage adjustment knob on?

left and right is faceing to the right up and down is straight up. as you can tell im new to this did a 30/30 but did not have this problem

aplinker
09-11-2008, 6:42 PM
OK then it's on the correct way.

set the gun supported so it won't move, find a spot in the distance to look at and then run the adjustments for elevation all the way up, then all the way down and see if you end up with the same POA.

sportsman
09-11-2008, 6:44 PM

did you mean faceing the end of the barrle if so the adjustments are the opposite of what i said

sonicbuff
09-11-2008, 6:52 PM
did you mean faceing the end of the barrle if so the adjustments are the opposite of what i said

It'd be easier for everyone to help if you can get a picture posted.

sportsman
09-11-2008, 6:57 PM
It'd be easier for everyone to help if you can get a picture posted.

the up and down is on the top .sorry dont have a camera

Guntech
09-11-2008, 7:18 PM
Went to the range today with a 30/06 with a leupold scope. Started at 25yds., went to 50 then to 100. Gun is still shooting high but up and down adjustment is adjusted all the way down. Guy at the range told me to remove scope and put electrical tape to shim the front end of the scope up. Is this something that can be done? If the gun is shooting high and adjustment is all the way down would you bring the front of the scope up or down? Any help would be appreciated.

Its basically shimming and a lot of people do it.

sportsman
09-11-2008, 7:39 PM
Its basically shimming and a lot of people do it.

if the up and down adjustment is down as far as it will go .and gun is still shooting high where would the shim go

Timberwolf
09-11-2008, 8:36 PM
if the up and down adjustment is down as far as it will go .and gun is still shooting high where would the shim go

The shim would go under the front mount if its shooting high but you're bottomed out in elevation. It sounds like either your rings or maybe your bases are reversed or both.

sportsman
09-11-2008, 9:19 PM
The shim would go under the front mount if its shooting high but you're bottomed out in elevation. It sounds like either your rings or maybe your bases are reversed or both.

base is one piece rings will only go one way in base and base will only go one way . what do i use for a shim

sonicbuff
09-11-2008, 9:36 PM
base is one piece rings will only go one way in base and base will only go one way . what do i use for a shim

Are the rings and base made for the 742 ?

ar15barrels
09-11-2008, 9:47 PM
Something's drastically wrong.
You should be within about 25% of the center of travel when sighting in a scope.

sportsman
09-11-2008, 9:58 PM
[QUOTE=sonicbuff;1517269]Are the rings and base made for the 742 ?[/QU

ordered the base and rings were on the scope leapold .scope was used i left the settings where they were it was on the paper at 25 yards 50 and 100 shooting high with elivation adjusted all the way down.would taking it to have it bore sighted help

sonicbuff
09-11-2008, 10:00 PM
Something's drastically wrong.
You should be within about 25% of the center of travel when sighting in a scope.

The 742 might have a sloping receiver, and if a wrong base is used, the compensation might not be enough to bring the scope inline with the barrel.

sonicbuff
09-11-2008, 10:01 PM
[QUOTE=sonicbuff;1517269]Are the rings and base made for the 742 ?[/QU

ordered the base and rings were on the scope leapold .scope was used i left the settings where they were it was on the paper at 25 yards 50 and 100 shooting high with elivation adjusted all the way down.would taking it to have it bore sighted help

Can you identify if the base is a correct model for the 742 ?

ar15barrels
09-11-2008, 10:14 PM
If the wrong base is used, there's a real good likelyhood of damaging the scope tube when the ring caps are tightened down.