PDA

View Full Version : N4 Light Carbine VIS

tenbrook
09-11-2008, 10:34 AM
I have decided to build up my Noveske OLL. I want to use a Noveske upper and have narrowed it down to this one http://noveskerifleworks.com/cgi-bin/imcart/display.cgi?item_id=u-lcv-556&cat=48&page=1&search=&since=&status=

I am curious as to what opinions you guys have about my choice for an upper. This is going to be a high-end SHTF/Plinker rifle. Also what vendors are most likely to have it in stock?

Thanks

Tenbrook

Hopi
09-11-2008, 10:35 AM
Expensive and one of the best.

Gryff
09-11-2008, 12:57 PM
What does the "VIS" stand for?

PIRATE14
09-11-2008, 1:00 PM
I have decided to build up my Noveske OLL. I want to use a Noveske upper and have narrowed it down to this one http://noveskerifleworks.com/cgi-bin/imcart/display.cgi?item_id=u-lcv-556&cat=48&page=1&search=&since=&status=

I am curious as to what opinions you guys have about my choice for an upper. This is going to be a high-end SHTF/Plinker rifle. Also what vendors are most likely to have it in stock?

Thanks

Tenbrook

Very nice......I believe most of the VIS are up and coming.....we have both the LO PROs and RECCE....no VIS...

CHK w/ Rainer....he might have one....

aplinker
09-11-2008, 1:16 PM
VIS are nice in concept, but they're heavier and the M203 removability is useless for us (a negative in my book).

I'd also push you to seriously consider the RECCE's mid-length over the carbine, for smoother run and increased reliability...

I'd personally go N4 Recce lo-pro with a MUR

Gryff
09-11-2008, 1:29 PM
What does the "VIS" stand for?

Okay...if I understand it, VIS means that the receiver and rail are a single unit rather individual pieces.

aplinker
09-11-2008, 1:34 PM
Okay...if I understand it, VIS means that the receiver and rail are a single unit rather individual pieces.

It's the trade name for VLTOR's pseudo-monolithic upper...

VIS (Versatile Interface Structure)

http://www.vltor.com/vis.htm

Mike359
09-12-2008, 6:55 AM
VIS are nice in concept, but they're heavier and the M203 removability is useless for us (a negative in my book).

I'd also push you to seriously consider the RECCE's mid-length over the carbine, for smoother run and increased reliability...

I'd personally go N4 Recce lo-pro with a MUR

Is there a rail size limitation when you have a mid-length? To me it appears all the mid-length rifles I see all have at least a 9in rail / handguard. If you have a mid-length with a 14.5" barrel are able to have a 7" rail or no?

aplinker
09-12-2008, 1:16 PM
mid-length gas moves the gas block (or FSB) forward. A 9" rail would stop at a mid-length gas block. Low-profile (covering the GB) will be 10,11" or longer.

Mike359
09-12-2008, 2:42 PM
so if you want a 7" handrail youd need a carbine? cuz i was thinking of a midlength as well bu it doesnt look as good imo

J_Rock
09-12-2008, 3:09 PM
so if you want a 7" handrail youd need a carbine? cuz i was thinking of a midlength as well bu it doesnt look as good imo

depends if you are going to used a lo-pro gas block or the regular A2 front sight gas block

IMO the only benefit of the VIS is the continuous upper rail. If you dont need it then dont get it

Mike359
09-12-2008, 6:25 PM
at this point im thinking of getting the recce basic and then adding a daniel defense rail but im not 100%

aplinker
09-12-2008, 7:00 PM
at this point im thinking of getting the recce basic and then adding a daniel defense rail but im not 100%

Noveske is pretty accomodating - ask if they'll do what you want. Or ask Rainier.