PDA

View Full Version : trying to pick out a scope...

joemama
09-11-2008, 12:17 AM
well I've never actually bought a scope. I've always gone open sight. And now I'm at a loss as to what I should get. I dont even really know where to start. I found this scope and its got a lifetime warranty but i'm not sure if that warranty will be worth anything. http://www.centuriontactical.com/ar-15-39x.htm has anyone ever dealt with centurion? I do plan on getting a brand name scope because i dont really want to skimp on anything but for now i'm so far in the hole with no sights that i have to skimp. I'm looking for under the 200 dollar range, reliable and slightly well known. lol the only scopes I've really even heard of is bushnell and leopold. I definitely want something with at least 9x zoom, the more the better. any suggestions or websites to guide me in the right direction would be much appreciated.

one more thing, does anyone know the dimensions on the scope that I have the link to? I'm not sure as to how long it is.

BP88
09-11-2008, 12:20 AM
http://www.opticsplanet.com/info/how_to_buy_riflescope.shtml

^^^ We need to sticky that link.

joemama
09-11-2008, 12:31 AM
wow, thanks. that link has just about everything. I'm also wondering what are descent brands and what are the ones to stay away from?

BP88
09-11-2008, 12:34 AM
wow, thanks. that link has just about everything. I'm also wondering what are descent brands and what are the ones to stay away from?

I hear good things about Nightforce, Leupold, some Nikons, etc. etc.

Get whatever you can afford; there's so many scopes to choose from. The website that I linked you sells a ton of different scopes; check some out.

FMJBT
09-11-2008, 12:43 AM
The scope you linked is the same as the NCStar 3-9x42mm MkIII Tactical scope. Specs are listed here:
http://www.ncstar.com/store/scripts/prodView.asp?idproduct=40

It sounds like a decent scope. I've actually been thinking about one of their 1.25-4x32 Mk III's for an SPR clone I'm building, the price on those is hard to beat for the features they have. However, a lot of products from NCStar are hit or miss, with quite a few in the miss category. The quality of a lot of their products has become much better recently though. For a scope that will likely only see action at the range, it's probably worth it for the price to check it out. For any serious use or hunting, I'd go with something a little more proven.

X-NewYawker
09-11-2008, 7:10 AM
Check out the Leupold Mark TWO scopes -- they are one inch tube "semi-tactical scopes" with the quality of Leupold scopes at like a third of teh price of Mark IVs. I would only trust Leupold and Night Force.

Mark II scope --
http://i125.photobucket.com/albums/p54/Fasanoland/IMG_2099.jpg

Young Version
09-11-2008, 8:18 AM
Check out the Leupold Mark TWO scopes -- they are one inch tube "semi-tactical scopes" with the quality of Leupold scopes at like a third of teh price of Mark IVs. I would only trust Leupold and Night Force.

Mark II scope --
http://i125.photobucket.com/albums/p54/Fasanoland/IMG_2099.jpg

Surprisingly, you don't hear too much about the Mark IIs. I have the 6-18x40 with the LRV reticle and I like it a lot.

caldude
09-11-2008, 8:24 AM
Generally, the more you pay, the better the optics and overall quality is. However, you really need to match the scope to the intended usage, the gun, and your budget.

You don't need a $1000 scope on a plinking rifle, and you wouldn't want to put a $100 budget scope on a sniper rifle. There are plenty of decent scopes in the $200-$300 range, but even that gets pricey if you need to get multiple scopes. I've got one Leopuld scope that is very good, and I've got a lot of inexpensive scopes that work just fine (mostly) for the range. As mentioned above, if you're going hunting, get a scope you can trust.

chsk9
09-11-2008, 9:26 AM
I just got a millet DMS for my M1A. They get very good reviews by 3 gun match shooters and military alike. It appears to be a great scope for the money.

glw12345
09-11-2008, 9:31 AM
Give Scott at Liberty Optics a call. He is very knowledgeable on scopes and can assist you in needs. I purchased a Bushnell 6500 from him and couldn’t be happier. www.libertyoptics.com Scott@libertyoptics.com Phone: 352-572-1469. Good luck!

scubamark13
09-11-2008, 10:25 AM
You can check out riflegear.com he has some Leupolds in the $200 dollar rangeand they are great people to work with.

dfletcher
09-11-2008, 10:47 AM
On the scope OP posted, the scope body can not be turned as it would in rings to make the horizontal reticle level. FWIW and I don't know if others have the same experience, but whenever I've bought a scope in which the reticle can not be adjusted for level, the reticle has always appeared strongly canted one way or the other. Maybe just me, but a scope reticle that's not right on drives me nuts.

sonicbuff
09-11-2008, 11:28 AM
Generally, the more you pay, the better the optics and overall quality is.

There's always competition, and there are bargains. Some of the makers were able to charge the premium because they'd built a brand for themselves.

However, you really need to match the scope to the intended usage, the gun, and your budget.

+1

I could not state better than this.

Lumpia is sarap!
09-11-2008, 11:58 AM
Red dot or ACOG.

aplinker
09-11-2008, 2:19 PM
Scott @ Liberty not only has fantastic prices, but will give you no BS help and work within your budget. The way to go.

Combat-style ARs are best with A's - Aimpoint, ACOG

dfletcher
09-11-2008, 2:53 PM
http://www.opticsplanet.com/info/how_to_buy_riflescope.shtml

^^^ We need to sticky that link.

Just a word or two about Optics Planet. I've ordered about 20 scopes from them and got to know their customer service crew fairly well. And as you might guess, I got to know their customer service crew because there were problems. Wrong scope sent, damaged scope (not once but twice - they actually sent me the same darn defective Konus scope twice), cancelled orders sent anyway, backorders sent twice. They're constantly out of products even though their website shows they're stocked. But ....

When they've made a mistake they've always taken care of it, never made me pay for return shipping & knocked $25.00 or so off a few items when I got PO'd. I just wish they'd get things straight 1st time around, and I found it's best to call in your order instead of doing it on line. That way you can ask if an item is in stock.

Good prices, free shipping - I just wish their shipping guys would pay more attention to orders and less time watching the Cubs.

phsieh10
09-11-2008, 3:02 PM
How about the whitetail classic on sale at Midway:

http://www.midwayusa.com/eproductpage.exe/showproduct?saleitemid=168462&t=11082005

BP88
09-11-2008, 4:06 PM
Just a word or two about Optics Planet. I've ordered about 20 scopes from them and got to know their customer service crew fairly well. And as you might guess, I got to know their customer service crew because there were problems. Wrong scope sent, damaged scope (not once but twice - they actually sent me the same darn defective Konus scope twice), cancelled orders sent anyway, backorders sent twice. They're constantly out of products even though their website shows they're stocked. But ....

When they've made a mistake they've always taken care of it, never made me pay for return shipping & knocked $25.00 or so off a few items when I got PO'd. I just wish they'd get things straight 1st time around, and I found it's best to call in your order instead of doing it on line. That way you can ask if an item is in stock.

Good prices, free shipping - I just wish their shipping guys would pay more attention to orders and less time watching the Cubs.

I've dealt with them once and also had a problem with their staff. I ordered an Aimpoint M2 from them a long time ago and they never got back to me, so I forgot about it and like 2 months later they call me asking if I still wanted it when I had already got it from someone else. Whatever, though, it's only harming their business.

Guntech
09-11-2008, 4:56 PM
Cant go wrong with a Leupold

884runner
09-11-2008, 6:45 PM
Check out mueller scopes. They get excellent reviews on the 10/22 forums.
I have the APV on a .22 and it is a very good scope for the money. I plan another for the ar I am currently building as well. For reference I also own/have owned Tasco(not very good), bushnell(ok), cabelas alskan guide (pretty good, but a little higher $$$) burris black diamond (really nice scope, $$$ but worth every penny on my deer rifle).
Just don't expect miracles for $200, but you can still get a fairly nice scope.