PDA

View Full Version : Lightest quality upper

Spaceghost
09-10-2008, 10:35 PM
I have a friend that really wants to build their own OLL up, but they want it as light as possible. My friend also wants quality and is willing to pay for it. Weight has never been an issue for me, so I have no idea who makes a nice really really light upper.

Specs:

#1 Light as possible. Why is weight so hard to find specs on?

#2 At least a decent quality manufacturer. CMMG, RRA, Daniel Defense, LMT, you get the idea.

#3 Needs to have a free float rail and a low profile gas block. Flip up sights will be used. Troy, of course.

#4 Needs a forward assist. No forward assist = no go.

#5 1/7 or 1/8 twist.

Thanks for the help guys.

PIRATE14
09-11-2008, 1:21 AM
I have a friend that really wants to build their own OLL up, but they want it as light as possible. My friend also wants quality and is willing to pay for it. Weight has never been an issue for me, so I have no idea who makes a nice really really light upper.

Specs:

#1 Light as possible. Why is weight so hard to find specs on?

#2 At least a decent quality manufacturer. CMMG, RRA, Daniel Defense, LMT, you get the idea.

#3 Needs to have a free float rail and a low profile gas block. Flip up sights will be used. Troy, of course.

#4 Needs a forward assist. No forward assist = no go.

#5 1/7 or 1/8 twist.

Thanks for the help guys.

NOVESKE BASIC LOPRO.......

OR for UCLAPLINKER....

NOVESKE RECCE LOPRO.........

HARD TO BEAT THOSE COMBOS per your SPECS.........

THEY ARE the ****........:chris:

1/7 TWIST
DOUBLE CHROME LINED
FREE FLOAT
SUPER LGT PROFILE........HAMMER FORGED
TROY BUIS....NOVESKE MARKED
TERMINATOR STEEL......ok, I made that one up........

ON and ON.......

aplinker
09-11-2008, 3:10 AM
To minimize weight you'll want a lightweight profile barrel (CMMG and NoveskeN4 are most readily available)... That's the primary weight source.

DD M4 or Lite rails are about as dainty as they come. Most rail mfgrs post stats. SWS is 12.1oz, while DD is 11oz for the 9" rail.

Gas block and carrier will make a bit of difference, too - semi's are lighter than FA.

mid-length gas (why Hector includes the Recce N4) helps with reliability. CMMG makes LW mid-lengths at 14.5" and 14.7"
http://cmmginc.secure-mall.com/shop/index_auto.php?shop=1&cart=1244285&cat=75&

16" allows you more velocity and detachable muzzle device, but a few ounces more in weight difference.

NOVESKE BASIC LOPRO.......

OR for UCLAPLINKER....

NOVESKE RECCE LOPRO.........

HARD TO BEAT THOSE COMBOS per your SPECS.........

THEY ARE the ****........:chris:

1/7 TWIST
DOUBLE CHROME LINED
FREE FLOAT
SUPER LGT PROFILE........HAMMER FORGED
TROY BUIS....NOVESKE MARKED
TERMINATOR STEEL......ok, I made that one up........

ON and ON.......

:rofl2: Nice :D

ar15barrels
09-11-2008, 11:05 AM
Colt 14.5" A1 carbine barrel.
A1 upper reciever.