PDA

View Full Version : sighting in a scope

sportsman
09-10-2008, 10:56 AM
hi i have a remington 30/06 i just put a leupold scope on. can i take it to the range and sight it in or do i have to have it bore sighted. and if so if bore sighted do i still have to make ajustments or is that it. any help thank you.canot see down the bore remington semiauto ,so do i have to have it bore sighted first is that the only other way

Nefarious
09-10-2008, 11:03 AM
bore sights are not too popular on here. General answer is you can get the same results by looking down your barrel and setting your scope to the same point of impact... and then making your adjustments from there.

Take your setup to the range and just dial it in ... no need for a boresight

Jicko
09-10-2008, 11:08 AM
bore sights are not too popular on here. General answer is you can get the same results by looking down your barrel and setting your scope to the same point of impact... and then making your adjustments from there.

+1 this is always how I did mine.... pretty much this will get you on paper... then you just go from there

you only need a boresight if you have a firearm that you can't look thru the barrel

devildog999
09-10-2008, 11:20 AM
All you need to do is take it to the range and shoot a nice tight group. Dial it in from there. After that, the only time you need to do anything is to adjust for windage.

sonicbuff
09-10-2008, 11:24 AM
If you can't look through your bore, a universal boresighter kit from Bushnell is only about $40, and you can use it upto .50 cal. You'd get your money back from ammo saved by a more precise adjustment. Walmart has it for $40 + tax. I had mine from evil bay for $25 + shipping.

aplinker
09-10-2008, 4:14 PM
If you can't look through your bore, a universal boresighter kit from Bushnell is only about $40, and you can use it upto .50 cal. You'd get your money back from ammo saved by a more precise adjustment. Walmart has it for $40 + tax. I had mine from evil bay for $25 + shipping.

bore sighting is NOT more precise. The ONLY way to properly sight in a rifle is by shooting a group and adjusting.

Bire sighting is to get you on paper - to make the groups visible, so the adjustments can be made.

Jicko
09-10-2008, 4:17 PM
All you need to do is take it to the range and shoot a nice tight group. Dial it in from there. After that, the only time you need to do anything is to adjust for windage.

what you said is meaningless if you cannot get on paper.... and most of the time, that would be the case if you have a fresh and completely new build. :confused:

sonicbuff
09-10-2008, 4:26 PM

what you said is meaningless if you cannot get on paper.... and most of the time, that would be the case if you have a fresh and completely new build. :confused:

You'd waste quite a few rounds if you don't have it on paper at the range, unless your paper is on a wall or it's in front of something which can give you the location of the marking shots.

With a boresighter, I usually get zero in about 5-6 shots.

TZL
09-10-2008, 4:46 PM
looking down a barrel works just fine, but i went out and bough a boresight kit on sale at Cabela, i think it was <$20, some Cabela's house brand so probably made in china

either way it works pretty well, i'll usually within 2-3 inches at 50 yards for my first shot, well within the "kill zone"

probably saves me 3-4 rounds per sight in, but then again i always switch my scopes around with the guns and play around with them so it feels like i'm always sighting in.

StraightShooter
09-10-2008, 4:53 PM
If you have a bolt rifle just look down the bore. Ive probably done it 20 times and the first shot has never been more than six inches away from where my point of aim was. Set the rifle on the bench, take the bolt out, stand back 4 feet from the rifle, sight down the barrel at the target, adjust scope and check to make sure that the scope and bore are aimed at the same thing, shoot, spot hit, make corrections, enjoy...... in that order. Heck, ive even gotten lucky before and didnt even have to make an adjustment after firing the first shot.

Mute
09-10-2008, 4:55 PM
I've never failed to get on paper and zeroed withing 5-6 rounds by looking down the bore.

Rob454
09-10-2008, 5:02 PM
Bore sights basically get you in the general area IMO. you still need to fine tune it. bore sight will probably get you in a volleyball size area but to get it dead on it wont do that.
personally I do the look through the barrel and adjust then fine tune by actually shooting it. I usually set mine up for 200 yards
Rob