PDA

View Full Version : Questions on first ar build:

DESERT_EAGLE_OWNER
09-10-2008, 10:06 AM
hey everyone, been on the site for a while but this is my first post. im getting ready to build my first rifle, and currently in my waiting period for my stag lower. i plan on getting the stag 2h rifle kit to finish it off. how well does this setup work? and one question i have is i live in a rural area with coyotes around quite often, and my ar could wind up being my anti coyote rifle. (mini 14 just not cutting it) for this reason id like to mount a flashlight, but keep the stock handguards. what are the best options? someone recommended the yankee hill machine gas block with a detachable sight, how would this work? and what are some good lights and mounts? thanks for any input!

Blacktail 8541
09-10-2008, 1:43 PM
hey everyone, been on the site for a while but this is my first post. im getting ready to build my first rifle, and currently in my waiting period for my stag lower. i plan on getting the stag 2h rifle kit to finish it off. how well does this setup work?

It will work fine.

and one question i have is i live in a rural area with coyotes around quite often, and my ar could wind up being my anti coyote rifle. (mini 14 just not cutting it) for this reason id like to mount a flashlight, but keep the stock handguards. what are the best options? someone recommended the yankee hill machine gas block with a detachable sight, how would this work?

It will work but there are better options, such as a dedicated flash lite holder that clamps to a front site base or to a rail that is attached to the
handguard.
and what are some good lights and mounts? thanks for any input!

hope this helps

BP88
09-10-2008, 3:14 PM
I run a Stag lower and a Stag 2h upper. It shoots flawlessly everytime I go out to the range and have zero complaints about quality. You will enjoy it.

As for light mounts - I can't really tell you much.

aplinker
09-10-2008, 3:21 PM
Stag is fine... It's not top dog, but it's decent quality. You more than likely won't have issues.

Are you going featureless or bullet-buitton?

If you're running a bullet button, most comfortable of cheap to me would be to put a small bottom rail, a vertical fore-grip and an offset flashlight mount (DD or VLTOR) and a cheap SureFire G2 LED or Fenix TK11.

You could also use a small rail and a pistol light (I like SureFire) on the rail. This can be done featurless.