PDA

View Full Version : Bore-siting whats the best?

Blacky
09-09-2008, 6:35 PM
Do I need to buy a different Bore-site tool for every caliber? What is the best Bore-site process and tool?

One Shot, One Dropped
09-09-2008, 6:54 PM
Best Tool: Your Eye

Yes. It's that simple...

Just pull out the bolt (or carrier group) and set the barrel (or assembly) onto sand bags so that when you look down the bore from the chamber end, you see the bullseye. Then, adjust your scope so that it also lines up. Keep checking back and forth until it lines up...

Suvorov
09-09-2008, 7:17 PM
Best bore sight (for small arms at least) I've ever used is a 25 yard target, at that close a range you can make one shot adjustments to get you in the ball park at 100 yards.

jacques
09-09-2008, 7:23 PM
I bought one of those laser ones you put into the end of the barrel. If I mount a new scope, etc. I can rough it in in my backyard at night, on a tree some 50-100yrds away. When I get to the range it is real close. It was cheap and works just fine.

Vinz
09-09-2008, 8:10 PM

Yes. It's that simple...

Just pull out the bolt (or carrier group) and set the barrel (or assembly) onto sand bags so that when you look down the bore from the chamber end, you see the bullseye. Then, adjust your scope so that it also lines up. Keep checking back and forth until it lines up...
yep, gets you on paper everytime. Didn't work on my M1A however....

This one works well if you must buy one. http://www.cabelas.com/cabelas/en/templates/product/standard-item.jsp?_DARGS=/cabelas/en/common/catalog/item-link.jsp_A&_DAV=MainCatcat602006-cat200006&id=0034465712346a&navCount=1&podId=0034465&parentId=cat200006&masterpathid=&navAction=push&catalogCode=XJ&rid=&parentType=index&indexId=cat200006&hasJS=true

vinz

harlot
09-09-2008, 9:23 PM
The only advantage I've ever heard about a bore sighter is that you save a few rounds getting on paper faster. First of all, I have no problem "wasting" rounds by shooting them. Second, doing it by eye on every rifle I've ever owned has been close enough at 100 yards, and neither method is more likely to get you so perfect that you don't need to make any adjustments. If you do it right and don't get on the paper, then something is probably wrong with your barrel or your eye.

aplinker
09-10-2008, 12:08 AM
for anything other than, say, 375H&H or 408CheyTac... just shoot paper close, look through the barrel, or shoot the ground and move to the poof.

Bowser
09-10-2008, 12:11 AM
Walmart sells a $40 Laserlyte I want to try.

bigthaiboy
09-10-2008, 12:28 AM
Walmart sells a $40 Laserlyte I want to try.

I have the $40 Laserlyte from Walmart. It's the budget shell pack version exclusive to Walmart of the regular $60 Laserlyte: http://www.laserlyte.com/Laser_Bore_Sighter/LBS-0006-140/index.html, except it doesn't come with a carrying pouch or daytime reflective target.

It's an OK product. It's nowhere near perect, but It will get you zeroed within a few inches of the Point of Aim. It does save a little on ammo, but as a previous poster noted, it really only works at night or very low light, unless you have the reflective target.

Guntech
09-10-2008, 7:29 AM

Yes. It's that simple...

What if its a semi auto like a 10/22? You cant use that method then. I prefer zeroing it on my Optic Boresight then going from there

ocabj
09-10-2008, 7:47 AM
What if its a semi auto like a 10/22? You cant use that method then. I prefer zeroing it on my Optic Boresight then going from there

Fire on a large target up close. Zero, and move the target back.

Bore sighters are a waste of money. Spend that money on powder, primers, and bullets.

Whiskey_Sauer
09-10-2008, 8:04 AM
Anyone have any luck with one of these Sightmark bore lasers:

http://www.riflegear.com/p-308-sightmark-223-laser-bore-sight.aspx

Seems like the type of thing that depends on how well it's constructed. Anyone have any experience?

Blacky
09-10-2008, 8:42 AM
Curly: Do you know what the secret of life is? [holds up one finger]
Curly: This.
Mitch: Your finger?
Curly: One thing. Just one thing. You stick to that and the rest don't mean ****.
Mitch: But, what is the "one thing?"
Curly: [smiles] That's what *you* have to find out.

Blacktail 8541
09-10-2008, 1:33 PM

Yes. It's that simple...

Yes it is as simple and effective as stated. It usally gets me within a couple of inches.

Blacktail 8541
09-10-2008, 1:34 PM
Fire on a large target up close. Zero, and move the target back.

Bore sighters are a waste of money. Spend that money on powder, primers, and bullets.

Got to agree with QCABJ, +1

BP88
09-10-2008, 2:08 PM
Is bore-siting your rifle even effective? I've been told the best way is to just use the irons or optics to sight-in your rifle.

aplinker
09-10-2008, 2:41 PM
Is bore-siting your rifle even effective? I've been told the best way is to just use the irons or optics to sight-in your rifle.

:confused: Bore sighting is to adjust your sight or optic so that you're at least on paper.

BP88
09-10-2008, 2:44 PM
:confused: Bore sighting is to adjust your sight or optic so that you're at least on paper.

Well, I'm sure as long as you're a decent shot you will hit the paper while zeroing. We never used bore-sighters during basic to zero our weapons even from the start. We just did 3-shot groups until we found our zero. This was at 25 meters simulating a 300 meter target, though.

aplinker
09-10-2008, 2:46 PM
Well, I'm sure as long as you're a decent shot you will hit the paper while zeroing. We never used bore-sighters during basic to zero our weapons even from the start. We just did 3-shot groups until we found our zero. This was at 25 meters simulating a 300 meter target, though.

When you first mount optics or sights they can be off by a good deal, as mounts, flat tops, etc are not the bore itself. Bore sighting gets them closer - so you can at least be on paper. It has nothing to do with skill of shooting.

By shooting paper close you were making it easier to be sure you're on paper.

BP88
09-10-2008, 2:48 PM
When you first mount optics or sights they can be off by a good deal. Bore sighting gets them closer.

By shooting paper close you were making it easier to be sure you're on paper.

Okay, thanks for clearing it up, makes sense to me now.