PDA

View Full Version : Help *noob* with ar15 build

Norccer
09-09-2008, 6:02 PM
Hi, I have been posting a for a while and just viewing information on the rifles. I was wondering if you guys can help me with a list of parts I could get to build a an AR-15

What I Want:
Reliable
Cheap
--
Scope/bipod.. etc.

/insert ar-15 picture
Similar to this one? Also, if there are any threads that can assist me with finding all the parts or how to build feel free to post it here please. This thread was made so people can post a list of PARTS that they think would fit my needs the best.

Thanks a lot guys and I am sorry if I overlooked any threads that could have prevented me making this one.

Bowser
09-09-2008, 6:12 PM
308 isn't going to be cheap and....

:xeno:

5150Marcelo
09-09-2008, 6:13 PM
Well, first you'll have to rule out "cheap" factor.

Norccer
09-09-2008, 6:14 PM
308 isn't going to be cheap and....

:xeno:

I thought an ar-15 was .223?? Unless the picture wasn't??

I will try to search for the parts but can you guys still post a list? It is kind of hard to search with all of the different variables that need to be found.

Norccer
09-09-2008, 6:15 PM
Well, first you'll have to rule out "reliable"

I know that some people think that cheap and reliable cancel each other out but whatever the cheapest "reliable" part is. :)

CHS
09-09-2008, 6:17 PM
I thought an ar-15 was .223?? Unless the picture wasn't??

I will try to search for the parts but can you guys still post a list? It is kind of hard to search with all of the different variables that need to be found.

That picture was of an AR-10/AR-308.

They are a bit more difficult (less standardization of parts) and way more expensive.

HOWEVER, you can build roughly that same gun in AR-15 size.

MILLITIAof1
09-09-2008, 6:21 PM
go gas piston and never look back:D

ChrisXD45T
09-09-2008, 6:24 PM
So you want an AR10 in 308? Cause that's what's in the picture.
Or, do you just want an AR in 5.56 with a railed handguard, collapsing stock, and similar accessories?
You can get something close to that, aesthetically speaking, going with all CMMG stuff. It's on the cheaper side of things and would be reliable enough for range duty.

Guntech
09-09-2008, 6:27 PM
Well, first you'll have to rule out "reliable"

+1 that kind of a set up for cheap doesnt exist. Than again "cheap" is relative to your financial situation, and hell we may be talking (or typing) to a millionaire. Oh and someone said go GP (gas piston) and that will cost you more than the Stoner system.

ChrisXD45T
09-09-2008, 6:31 PM
go gas piston and never look back:D
I've handled and shot almost every piston system out there for the AR.
I haven't found one that I thought was enough of an improvement to justify going through the trouble.
Don't get me wrong, there are some really nice ones. I'd have one if I could afford it. Great shooters; accurate and reliable. But no more so than a well built direct impingement AR/M16.
Besides, none of those would meet his criterion of being cheap.

Norccer
09-09-2008, 6:32 PM
So you want an AR10 in 308? Cause that's what's in the picture.
Or, do you just want an AR in 5.56 with a railed handguard, collapsing stock, and similar accessories?
You can get something close to that, aesthetically speaking, going with all CMMG stuff. It's on the cheaper side of things and would be reliable enough for range duty.

that is precisely what I want. AR in 5.56 with a railed handgaurd, collapsing stock, and similar accessories!
I would want this ar15 definitely for the shooting range and for any bug out situations. :TFH:

Where is the website or a good website where I can look at those parts?

ChrisXD45T
09-09-2008, 6:36 PM
CMMG has their own site. You can google that.
Some of the sponsors here sell CMMG uppers too.
Though don't think that CMMG is your only option.
I gotta eat diner.

heycorey
09-09-2008, 6:36 PM
You need to start spending some quality time lurking on arfcom (http://www.ar15.com/) ... grasshopper.

Gnome
09-09-2008, 6:37 PM
I was wondering if you guys can help me with a list of parts I could get to build a an AR-15

Also, if there are any threads that can assist me with finding all the parts or how to build feel free to post it here please. Thanks a lot guys and I am sorry if I overlooked any threads that could have prevented me making this one.

From one NooB to another, your best bet is to :xeno: and find UCLAPlinker's thread on building an AR. I believe it's called "So you want to build an AR." Very informative. You should probablly do a K.I.S.S.(Keep It Simple Stupid) build first.

Just until you know if you like the platform.

Lateralus
09-09-2008, 6:38 PM
What I Want:
Reliable
Cheap

You cant have your cake and eat it too....

I would pick one. If you come on here and say "I dont care about quality, I just want it to go bang", fine; I will direct you to www.model1sales.com

If you want quality, check out CMMG. IMHO, it is more than worth the money.

Norccer
09-09-2008, 6:50 PM
Thanks a lot for the helps guys.
Some of you should read all of the posts though because many of these issues that you are posting have been taken care of. ;)
Thanks though!

gsxr600booya
09-09-2008, 7:48 PM
you could also check out stag, i have a 4h upper on a stag 15 lower with a2 stock and a love it. it is rifle sized but they also make the carbine size. www.stagarms.com

sv_1
09-09-2008, 8:22 PM
Keep an eye on the for sale section if you are looking to save some money.

aplinker
09-10-2008, 12:02 AM
i started a thread once full of suggested $1000 builds.

Read through the 223 pics thread

read my signature

search is your buddy