PDA

View Full Version : Yugo SKS, how to make ok for cali

Cali80
09-09-2008, 3:07 PM
Another question from a newbie to cali.
If I have a yugo sks (not in PRK) and i wanted to make it CA compliant, can I just drill a few holes on the top part of the grenade launcher? I would think doing this would make the grenade launcher inoperable/inert and also allows one to actually use that ugly thing as a compensator. It is a ghetto plan, but it beats paying for labor, or drilling off the entire launcher.

I got the Yugo with the nonchromelined barrel, Grenade launcher, folding bayonet and the fixed 10rd factory mag on it.

Any advice/comments would be appreciated.
I tried using the search, but some threads get very long and only add confusion to the equation.

:D

Cali80
09-09-2008, 3:27 PM
You pretty much have it. Make the launcher into a compensator. Keep the 10 round fixed. Remove the bayonet.

Can you give me the specifics?
I can't keep the bayonet?

Crusader
09-09-2008, 3:27 PM
I asked a similar question a while back, and apparently since the Yugo M59/66 is not technically an SKS, the magazine does not need to be fixed. I never looked into in any detail though, so maybe you could check it out. It would make a much more interesting SKS if you could reload with mags too.

Hopi
09-09-2008, 3:32 PM
I asked a similar question a while back, and apparently since the Yugo M59/66 is not technically an SKS, the magazine does not need to be fixed.
Legally, the Yugo Zastava model 59/66 is not an SKS in California. You can use detachable magazines sans any other evil features. As I understand it, 922r compliance concerns come into play at that point.

Bayonets are not evil features. You can keep it.

I never looked into in any detail though, so maybe you could check it out. It would make a much more interesting SKS if you could reload with mags too.

A more interesting SKS is commonly referred to as an AK ;). Since '05, most informed folks started to buy Off-list AK style rifles instead of SKSs........

Cali80
09-09-2008, 3:33 PM
thanks everyone for your info.

Crusader
09-09-2008, 4:07 PM
A more interesting SKS is commonly referred to as an AK ;). Since '05, most informed folks started to buy Off-list AK style rifles instead of SKSs........

Haha, very true.

Cali80
09-09-2008, 4:21 PM
"Zastava SKS Carbines 59/66 are considered destructive devices in California and therefore may not be purchased, possessed, imported, or kept for sale without a permit."

Doesn't this comment make the yugo illegal?

Josh3239
09-09-2008, 4:21 PM
I can't keep the bayonet?

Yes you can. You can put a bayonet on anything you want in CA.

bwiese
09-09-2008, 4:26 PM
(DOJ BoF): "Zastava SKS Carbines 59/66 are considered destructive devices in California and therefore may not be purchased, possessed, imported, or kept for sale without a permit."

Doesn't this comment make the yugo illegal?

No, why would it? They are only considered DDs if they have the DD part attached, which is the G/L device.

If the G/L is either removed or rendered useless the Yugo M59/66 rifle is legal.

Above info about drilling holes in G/L should be disregarded. I believe the G/L may (?) only be considered fully disabled if a sleeve is pinned/welded around it and you should err on the side of caution here.

Possession of a removed G/L is a no-no, too as it's DD status is intrinsic;
don't have 'em throw it back in the box when the rifle is shipped to your CA FFL.

Cali80
09-09-2008, 4:36 PM
does the "GL" screw off or is it welded on there? I don't have the thing in front of me now.

Cali80
09-09-2008, 4:53 PM
nm..
http://www.surplusrifle.com/reviews2006/rickmillersksbrake/index.asp