PDA

View Full Version : converting ak74 (interarms) to CA complaint one

Cali80
09-09-2008, 1:57 PM
Would it be legal in CA?
Can you glue the folding wire stock with red lock tight(permanent glue) to make it into a fixed position stock? Would that work?

I would think doing the gluing and then having a 10 rd BB would make it OK for CA, correcdt??

I am new to CA Laws so please bear with me guys.

http://www.atlanticfirearms.com/beta/storeproduct631.aspx
here's a picture of the rifle in question.

bohoki
09-09-2008, 2:37 PM
with a fixed mag you can have a folding stock

AaronHorrocks
09-09-2008, 2:43 PM
Go for a 10 round fixed mag. That way you can keep the pistol grip and folding stock. with that stock, You won't be able to get away with a MonsterManGrip.

bigthaiboy
09-09-2008, 2:52 PM
With a bullet button, you can have the stock folding as long as the rifle with folded stock comes to a OAL of 30" (CA overall length limit for centerfire rifles).

My guess is it will come to around 27.5", so you need to extend the length of the rifle. Adding a longer muzzle brake would be enough, eg, adding a 4.5" flash hider like this one: http://ak47brakes.ricksmuzzlebrakesandgunstuff.com/index.htm

or one of the Tapco AMD-65 muzzle brakes, would be an easy fix.

If you don't need it to fold, then either red or blue loctite will do.

Cali80
09-09-2008, 3:02 PM
thanks for your inputs. I figured it was ok, but had to double check.

Cali80
09-09-2008, 3:43 PM
I guess if I do go thru with this project, I will keep the stock and maybe locktite the wire stock to comply with the oal of 30 inches.
Thanks again guys.

AaronHorrocks
09-09-2008, 4:13 PM
Your ideas of glue and locktite are risky, and frankly dangerous. There have been cases of LEOs trying to use rocks or hammers on a mag release to "make safe" the weapon. You have to consider any mods you make are going to be rough handled.

If an LEO grabs your gun and funks with the folding stock enough to fold, you have an instant AW. It's best that if you're going for a fixed stock that you WELD it in the deployed and locked position. Don't take the risk!

Cali80
09-09-2008, 4:31 PM
Your ideas of glue and locktite are risky, and frankly dangerous. There have been cases of LEOs trying to use rocks or hammers on a mag release to "make safe" the weapon. You have to consider any mods you make are going to be rough handled.

If an LEO grabs your gun and funks with the folding stock enough to fold, you have an instant AW. It's best that if you're going for a fixed stock that you WELD it in the deployed and locked position. Don't take the risk!

NOte taken, thanks for your advice and concern.
The reason behind the glue fetish, is because the tangs holding the stock are much different than the other ak variants. I haven't found one yet and don't want to buy stocks to only see it if might work.

Maybe cutting off the finger tab ( that folds the stock) and then loctiting everything ( for the interim). I can weld it later on.. permanently.