PDA

View Full Version : Pump action tube magazine lifetimes

unusedusername
09-09-2008, 10:55 AM
Hello all,

Just a quick question about springs. I've got a Mossberg 590a1, which I keep hidden away. I keep it with the safety on, action back, chamber empty, but with the magazine full of buckshot rounds. I understand this is a fairly normal way of storing shotguns for HD.

From what little physics I can remember I know that a spring, like the one in the tube magazine of the shotgun, will eventually compress and be less "springy". So, how long does it take for a magazine spring to wear out if it is completely compressed all the time? Are we talking months, years or decades?

When it does wear out is it a standard part, or something I have to special order from the manufacturer?

Thanks in advance!

sthornwall
09-09-2008, 11:50 AM
I keep my Benelli SuperNova fully loaded at all times ready to rock. It's been that way for the better part of three years and so far the spring is fine. I added a 2 rd mag extension on it. You can also purchase after market springs that will work just fine and have the same quality. I'm currently using a TAC-STAR kit and it works without any flaws. Hope this helps.

Fate
09-09-2008, 12:27 PM
Springs do not wear out from being compressed for long periods of time. They wear out from repeated compression/expansion cycles.

Ballistic043
09-09-2008, 1:29 PM
if you keep your shotgun loaded all the time, and you dont unload/reload your shotgun when leaving for trips, vacations, out of town business ventures; then i would reccomend you replace the spring once every 1.5 to 2 years religiously. perhaps sooner, given the fact that the springs are not chrome moly and tend to rust quicker in humid environments.

if you are in the LEO crowd, or you unload and reload your magazine at least once a week, then you should look at replacing the spring every 9 to 12 months. which even at that isnt too terrible. but the repeated compression and expansion of the spring will definitely wear the spring, sometimes twice as fast as normally.

the springs are only about 5 dollars, available at most good parts stores (brownells, cabelas, e-gunparts.com) and they install in about 2 minutes

http://www.brownells.com/aspx/ns/store/ProductDetail.aspx?p=1537&title=TACTICAL%20SHOTGUN%20MOUNT

vinny_land
09-09-2008, 4:20 PM
Dont the shotshells become deformed by keeping them in magazine tube for long periods of time? Im more worried about that because when the time comes...i dont want to be left hanging with a jam waiting to happen. Does anyone know the time table for when that happens?

Fjold
09-09-2008, 5:06 PM
Dont the shotshells become deformed by keeping them in magazine tube for long periods of time? Im more worried about that because when the time comes...i dont want to be left hanging with a jam waiting to happen. Does anyone know the time table for when that happens?

I don't know if there is a specific time because ammunition manufacturers may use slightly different plastics in their ammo.

I would just shoot it occasionally to cycle the rounds, it's good to practice with full power loads.

Guntech
09-09-2008, 5:17 PM
I have a C&R from 1946 with the original spring, it works well.

AJAX22
09-09-2008, 5:23 PM
I have yet to see a mag spring in a tubefed pump go bad... and I've seen some beaters.