PDA

View Full Version : Remington 11-87 Carrier Friction

csorin
09-08-2008, 3:28 PM
Hello all,

First post for my first shotgun. I took this to the range yesterday and sent about 50 shells downrange. The gun functioned great with only one brand of shells giving me problems (Fiocchi light loads). Everything else ran just fine with no problems.

I took the shotgun home and disassembled it as per the instructions in the Remington manual. Upon reassembly, I noticed that the carrier encounters a bit of friction when the blot release is pressed fully. About halfway through the carriers travel, it encounters some kind of "hang-up", like a bump on the way up. It does not take an odd amount of force to move through this bump, but it worries me that the gun may not cycle as reliably as before.

Can someone tell me if the carrier's travel up into the receiver should be completely smooth and not encounter any kind of friction, or if a little bump on the way is okay? Maybe I bent the carrier when placing the trigger group back into the receiver? It does seem to lean towards the right side (viewed from below) of the receiver. Or maybe I'm just over thinking a negligible problem (<--yes please). Thanks guys.

masterB
09-08-2008, 8:03 PM
My 11-87 does the same thing. You just need to clean the magazine barrel and keep it dry around every 150 rounds. Do that and you will not have a single problem with this gun.

csorin
09-08-2008, 8:15 PM
Thanks masterB,

And just to be sure we're talking about the same thing, it's the carrier that is pushed up when loading a shell into the magazine. It encounters resistance about halfway through its travel, possibly rubbing on the interceptor latch, or the lug that the interceptor latch is attached to. Only trying to clarify because of your advise on oiling the magazine tube.

Does anyone know what is exerting force onto the carrier to cause it to travel to its top-most position (causing the shell to chamber)? I still can't quite figure out the internal action of the gun. Thanks.

ar15barrels
09-11-2008, 5:15 PM
I noticed that the carrier encounters a bit of friction when the blot release is pressed fully.

Is the bolt release pressed fully during normal operation?
I thought you only pressed it when you wanted to release the bolt. ;)

Tactical Support
09-11-2008, 9:01 PM
Hello all,

First post for my first shotgun. I took this to the range yesterday and sent about 50 shells downrange. The gun functioned great with only one brand of shells giving me problems (Fiocchi light loads). Everything else ran just fine with no problems.

I took the shotgun home and disassembled it as per the instructions in the Remington manual. Upon reassembly, I noticed that the carrier encounters a bit of friction when the blot release is pressed fully. About halfway through the carriers travel, it encounters some kind of "hang-up", like a bump on the way up. It does not take an odd amount of force to move through this bump, but it worries me that the gun may not cycle as reliably as before.

Can someone tell me if the carrier's travel up into the receiver should be completely smooth and not encounter any kind of friction, or if a little bump on the way is okay? Maybe I bent the carrier when placing the trigger group back into the receiver? It does seem to lean towards the right side (viewed from below) of the receiver. Or maybe I'm just over thinking a negligible problem (<--yes please). Thanks guys.

It should have a bit of resistance but not much. It is possible it needs to be tuned a bit. There are a few things involved with this type of malfunction. But easily fixed.

Tactical Support
09-11-2008, 9:22 PM
Also the mainspring/tube "in the stock" may need a good cleaning as it gets a lot of gunk in it from normal cycling.