PDA

View Full Version : Difference between M14 and M1 garand

mark77418
09-08-2008, 11:13 AM
I was looking at the Fulton Armory website and they have the M14 and M1 garand. They look almost the same. What is the difference between these two rifles?

brando
09-08-2008, 11:28 AM
M1 Garand is .30-06 and uses 8-round stripper clip. M14 is .308 and uses detachable magazine. Springfield Armory essentially makes M14s designated M1A.

5hundo
09-08-2008, 11:29 AM
Box magazine on the M14, i.e. more capactiy.

.30-06 in the Garand vs. 7.62 NATO in the M14.

Those are the "main" differences...

30Cal
09-08-2008, 11:30 AM
M14 has a flash suppressor, slightly shorter sight radius and uses a self-regulating ("White") gas system. A lot of the piece-parts are interchangeable, but the big stuff isn't (stock, barrel, receiver, oprod, bolt).

CrazyJeep
09-08-2008, 11:38 AM
I was looking at the Fulton Armory website and they have the M14 and M1 garand. They look almost the same. What is the difference between these two rifles?

Were you looking to buy one or the other or just simply inquiring about the two rifles? As mentioned earlier, there are many parts that are interchangeable between the two, which is nice.

I love my Garand, although I haven't shot it since I received it from CMP (needs work), but I absolutely loooooove my LRB M14SA.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v296/crazyjeeper/LRB%20M14/LatestLRB.jpg

5hundo
09-08-2008, 11:59 AM
I love my Garand, although I haven't shot it since I received it from CMP (needs work),

:confused:

Huh?

What was wrong with it? Mine has been flawless!

Not baggin' on ya, just curious.

Which Garand did you get?

CrazyJeep
09-08-2008, 12:06 PM
It was a rack grade. The barrel has pitting in it and the stock is junk. Mainly bought it for the receiver and small parts. I have a new USGI barrel and bolt for it. Plan on sending it to DGR or Warbird for a rebuild so I can shoot it.

ohsmily
09-08-2008, 12:18 PM
i thought they were called en bloc clips.stripper clips are long,staight, single stack strips that you push from the top.an m14 can use a stipper clip but not an en bloc clip.

Right. Stripper clips are used to hold ammunition but the rounds are 'stripped' off the clip as they are inserted in to the magazine. The en bloc clip is actually pressed down and inserted into the magazine. There is a difference.

5hundo
09-08-2008, 12:19 PM
It was a rack grade. The barrel has pitting in it and the stock is junk. Mainly bought it for the receiver and small parts. I have a new USGI barrel and bolt for it. Plan on sending it to DGR or Warbird for a rebuild so I can shoot it.

Still though, that's pretty strange. There are a bunch of guys on here that bought rackers that shoot just fine...

It will be great once you get it rebuilt, though. ;)

CrazyJeep
09-08-2008, 12:52 PM
Still though, that's pretty strange. There are a bunch of guys on here that bought rackers that shoot just fine...

It will be great once you get it rebuilt, though. ;)

I'm sure there is no doubt that if I were to shoot it, it would most likely go bang. But it's an ugly beast and that alone is partially what has prevented me to take it to the range. Heck DGR even said it perfect, "Life's too short to shoot an ugly gun." Also, the only ammo I have is the Greek stuff and I can't shoot it at my range due to it being a fire hazard.

5hundo
09-08-2008, 1:08 PM
I'm sure there is no doubt that if I were to shoot it, it would most likely go bang. But it's an ugly beast and that alone is partially what has prevented me to take it to the range. Heck DGR even said it perfect, "Life's too short to shoot an ugly gun." Also, the only ammo I have is the Greek stuff and I can't shoot it at my range due to it being a fire hazard.

Yeah, I had to buy commercial the last time I went up to Burro.

$15 a box at was the cheapest I could find for Remmington 180gr HP. Not exaxtly a "bargain" but we had fun... ;)

dilligaffrn
09-08-2008, 1:15 PM

1936 vs 1957 (21 years)

30-06 vs 7.62X51

semi vs select-fire

clip vs mag

D-day vs Nam

1911_sfca
09-08-2008, 2:42 PM
Still though, that's pretty strange. There are a bunch of guys on here that bought rackers that shoot just fine...]

I bought a rack grade M1 a couple years ago and it shot fine for a little while, then started grabbing real hard on the shells so they wouldn't eject. Could be the ammo I was using.

Anyhow I sent it off to Fulton Armory last week for a re-do. Will get new stocks and get the receiver/barrel sorted so it should be back to decent shape for shooting.

aplinker
09-08-2008, 7:42 PM
You might want to check... last I looked Springfield made their M1 Garands chambered in 308.

rksimple
09-09-2008, 6:35 AM
Yeah, I had to buy commercial the last time I went up to Burro.

$15 a box at was the cheapest I could find for Remmington 180gr HP. Not exaxtly a "bargain" but we had fun... ;)

Careful with that heavy stuff. You don't want to bend anything...

CrazyJeep
09-09-2008, 7:15 AM
Careful with that heavy stuff. You don't want to bend anything...

I've read/heard that any commercial ammo is not really recommended due to the powder burn rate being slower than mil-surp stuff. Causes too much pressure build-up in the gas cylinder.

Paratus et Vigilans
09-09-2008, 7:53 AM
If you want to shoot a Garand with other than the .30-06 ammo made for it, whether by the U.S. (e.g., Lake City) or the Greeks or whomever, then get a vented gas plug for it, follow the directions on installing and tuning it, and you should be good to go, but just sticking 180 gr. commercial ammo in there and blasting away will lead sooner or later to a busted rifle and maybe worse. It's a crap shoot with every pull of the trigger. Don't do it!! :eek:

As for Springfield making .308 Garands, yes, they were, but they aren't selling them anymore. Fulton Armory and DGR will build or sell you a .308 Garand, if you want one.