PDA

View Full Version : AR15 won't accept loaded mag

Standard
09-08-2008, 9:14 AM
I'm having a problem with my AR.
It won't take a loaded mag with the upper attached.
If I remove the upper, it works fine. If I attach an unloaded mag, it's fine.
The bullet button functions fine in these scenarios. I can FORCE the mag up into the magwell when it's loaded, but it doesn't feel healthy, and I can feel resistance when pressing the bullet button.
This isn't confined to one mag, it's the same whether I'm using P-Mags, Aluminum, etc.
I've disassembled and cleaned up the upper and cleaned the lower, but no change. This is a recent development, and has been fine in the past, hundreds of rounds with no problems.
Any help?
Thanks.

stphnman20
09-08-2008, 9:33 AM
Try putting only 8 or 9 rnds in the mag and see if the works.. Sometimes the max is just to much and will not let the mag go in all the way..

Standard
09-08-2008, 9:36 AM
I think I tried that and it didn't work, but I'll check again to be sure.
Do you know what would cause it to change though? I've always loaded to capacity without issues.

LewDog
09-08-2008, 9:42 AM
The mag might not allow any downward play of the ammo when fully loaded so when you go to push it in with the bolt closed it would basically just push right up against the bottom of the carrier. There should be a little less than a 1/4 inch movement of the rounds if you load it to capacity and then try pushing them down manually. Do you usually put the magazine in with the bolt closed? If so, try locking it open before loading. If you do load the mag with the bolt locked back then ignore everything I just said :rolleyes:

PolishMike
09-08-2008, 9:46 AM
With the bolt closed you should have to slap it in there firmly. With the bolt open it should slide right in.

Mike

09-08-2008, 9:48 AM
I usually get a little resistance when inserting a fully loaded mag. To get around this problem, I load the mag with the bolt locked back. Once the mag is in, release the bolt to chamber the round. I don't think that you are experiencing anything out of the norm. Have you tried to shoot it yet?

Standard
09-08-2008, 9:48 AM
I usually load with the bolt closed, so I'll give that a shot as well :)
It feels like it's overloaded, but it's just loaded to capacity, like it always has been without problems, so I thought it may be something else.

Standard
09-08-2008, 9:49 AM
What was strange is that it's doing the same thing with several different mags, all loaded to normal capacity. I will just have to check them all out.

sorensen440
09-08-2008, 9:52 AM
I always load with the bolt open for that reason

armandolo
09-08-2008, 9:54 AM
Sometimes when the hi cap mag is modified to accept 10rds, they fail to allow a bit of a push down play in the magazine (being affraid to allow for 11 rounds to go in). In this case the last bullet will interfere with the bolt of the gun, when it is closed. Solution: Load only 9rds or open up the bolt.

emc002
09-08-2008, 10:13 AM
Try putting only 8 or 9 rnds in the mag and see if the works.. Sometimes the max is just to much and will not let the mag go in all the way..

+1, especially if you are using magazines with a ranger type floorplate or CProducts 10 rounders.

aplinker
09-08-2008, 11:22 AM
Carrier closed mag loading is equivalent to adding another 1/3 of a round to the mag. If you can't push the last round down that distance in the mag, then it won't go in with the bolt closed.

BP88
09-08-2008, 1:39 PM
+1, especially if you are using magazines with a ranger type floorplate or CProducts 10 rounders.

Yeah, my C Products 10 rounders have a little trouble locking into place when fully-loaded and the bolt forward.

NuGunner
09-08-2008, 3:09 PM
I HAD THIS EXACT SAME QUESTION UP A WHILE AGO. HERE'S THE LINK TO THE QUESTION I POSED. SEE IF IT FALLS UNDER THE SAME CATEGORY.

http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/showthread.php?t=117013

Just work your mags a little, make sure you load every round right, my issue actually ended up being with the way I was loading my rounds, and the way the followers were feeding them.

lowriderryda
09-08-2008, 7:10 PM
I get the same problem just try different amounts ammo in the mag or clean the gun. Anytime my AR is dirty it starts to act up, but when its clean it shoots flawless

Standard
09-08-2008, 8:29 PM
I tried it when I got home. Less rounds in the mag seems to work fine.
Now my question is why would this change when it used to accept a fully loaded mag just fine?
Thanks again for all of the help.

Mail Clerk
09-08-2008, 8:49 PM
I'm having a problem with my AR.
It won't take a loaded mag with the upper attached.
If I remove the upper, it works fine. If I attach an unloaded mag, it's fine.
The bullet button functions fine in these scenarios. I can FORCE the mag up into the magwell when it's loaded, but it doesn't feel healthy, and I can feel resistance when pressing the bullet button.
This isn't confined to one mag, it's the same whether I'm using P-Mags, Aluminum, etc.
I've disassembled and cleaned up the upper and cleaned the lower, but no change. This is a recent development, and has been fine in the past, hundreds of rounds with no problems.
Any help?
Thanks.

Standard,

Why not try and file the magazine notch just a hair and see it that cures the issue.

Mail Clerk

aplinker
09-08-2008, 9:28 PM
Standard,

Why not try and file the magazine notch just a hair and see it that cures the issue.

Mail Clerk

That will place the mag lower in the rifle. It can cause issues with properly stripping rounds out of the mag. Not a good solution.

5150Marcelo
09-08-2008, 9:30 PM
With the bolt closed you should have to slap it in there firmly. With the bolt open it should slide right in.

Mike

:yes:
I always SLAP in there FIRMLY! Works everytime!
:shifty::D

NiteQwill
09-08-2008, 10:44 PM
I always load a magazine on an locked-to-the-rear bolt. Bad habits die hard.

doughboy334
09-08-2008, 10:58 PM
Try hitting it.

wearemisled
09-09-2008, 12:40 AM
:yes:
I always SLAP in there FIRMLY! Works everytime!
:shifty::D

That's what I do with mine and it works great. I put it in the mag well and give it a nice love tap to make sure it locks in place. Then again I am using standard 30 and 10 round mags.

BP88
09-09-2008, 12:46 AM
I always load a magazine on an locked-to-the-rear bolt. Bad habits die hard.

Same here. Anytime you go shoot, an unloaded firearm should have the bolt locked to the rear for safety purposes, anyways.

tenpercentfirearms
09-09-2008, 5:49 AM
This is why I carry my spare Glock 27 magazine in my pocket with 8 rounds instead of 9. Yes, I can slam it in there with 9, but in a stressful situation, I don't want to think I got it in there, fire my next shot, and then have it go "click" on the next one. So I back it off one and it locks right in.

This is the same principle on all magazines really.

TonyM
09-09-2008, 6:10 AM
When dealing with the 10 round mags, they are very tight when fully loaded to 10 rounds. The manufacturers have been making sure they don't accept more than 10 rounds, so many of them just barely take the 10th round.

If you "Slam" the mag into a closed bolt, don't be surprised if you dent the crap out of the round at the top of the magazine.

Load up a 10 rounder to capacity. Then, try to load an 11th round. You will probably see that the loaded rounds don't even budge at all and the mag spring/follower is 100% compressed already. The USGI 30's still have about 1/4 to 1/2 a round worth of room when loaded to capacity, so they are easier to load on a closed bolt.

I would either load on an open bolt, or download the mags by 1 if you think you're going to do a "tactical reload". Much better than forcing the mag, denting the round and possibly causing it not to chamber.

GTXR390
09-09-2008, 8:25 AM
I tried it when I got home. Less rounds in the mag seems to work fine.
Now my question is why would this change when it used to accept a fully loaded mag just fine?
Thanks again for all of the help.

Maybe check the magazine itself? Maybe some build up in the mag? I haven't ran into any dirty mag issues yet though...i've put maybe 2K rounds through my Stag.

It is difficult to put a fully loaded mag in a closed bolt. for me after a few times...the spring loosened up and it wasn't as difficult to load, just a nice lil slap n it stayed put...i do notice the bullet button is a bit harder to press, but that's expected cuz now theres more pressure on the catch, from the magazine spring tension.

CLP a bit of ur magazines?