PDA

View Full Version : A comment on new Mossberg 500's

Geodetic
09-07-2008, 10:51 PM
I bought one of the Big 5 Mossberg 500 dual barrel deals with a synthetic stock and forearm when they were on sale earlier this year. The forearm in my opinion was a POS. I could easily twist it back and forth. I ordered a tactical forearm with the metal action tube (same as the 590) and installed it along with a heatshield on the 18" barrel and a speedfeed stock, turning it into a combat setup. I think maybe they are cutting corners on the forearms? Anyone else noticed this lately? I have no beefs with Mossbergs other than this and prefer the position of the safety over the Rem. 870s although I smell an 870 in my future because you can never have too many guns :gunsmilie:

The Cable Guy
09-07-2008, 11:35 PM
Yes, mine fell apart after roughly 350 rounds of various loads.

For now I have a few screws I put in for a temporary fix as it's my HD gun (so much for reliability)

Where did you get your action slide tube? and for how much?

wildcard313
09-08-2008, 1:51 AM
I was shopping for a 930 SXP, which seems almost impossible to find. After spending a few days looking for one and reading reports on Mossberg I decided to spring for a FN SLP instead. As usual, the majority of Mossbergs may be fine, but there are just too many threads out there about shoddy QQ and substandard fittings.

For what you can get a 730 for, Im not sure why anybody chooses a Mossberg. It just seems like they have much more potential for problems.

Greg-Dawg
09-08-2008, 6:36 AM
Thanks for sharing that. I've been looking, and still undicided on a Mossberg or Remington.

stphnman20
09-08-2008, 6:47 AM
Thanks for sharing that. I've been looking, and still undicided on a Mossberg or Remington.

Get an 870.. I hav one and love it.. no issues at all...

PorkLover
09-08-2008, 7:22 AM
so far I have shot over 400 rounds through my mossy without any hiccups! for the money you can't beat the mossberg....it is what it is......

Geodetic
09-08-2008, 7:41 AM
I forget where I got the tube from... several places on the internet had them. Just be sure you get the whole assembly with the tube, forearm, and the ring that holds them together. The tube should include the action arms that fit into the action. If you look at a Mossberg 500 parts diagram you'll see what I mean.

The Cable Guy
09-08-2008, 2:32 PM
I forget where I got the tube from... several places on the internet had them. Just be sure you get the whole assembly with the tube, forearm, and the ring that holds them together. The tube should include the action arms that fit into the action. If you look at a Mossberg 500 parts diagram you'll see what I mean.

Yeah, I've been looking for something like that, how much did that run you?

Geodetic
09-08-2008, 10:33 PM
See this diagram:
http://www.ada.ru/Guns/exploded/Images/mossberg_500.gif

You need part 29, 30, and 31

That is the action tube, action tube nut, and forend (respectively).

I apologize but I don't have a record of why I bought these, but I beleive it was www.gun-parts.com/mossberg/

the tube and nut are listed as follows:

Action Slide Double Arm..............$40

(Occasionally we get a Single Arm)

Action Tube Nut............................$10

I think the forend is the synthetic tactical but I'm not seeing that listed. I might have bought it together witht the speedfeed stock from midway... my memory escapes me.

FYI... the forend is a friction fit over the tube, I had to hammer mine in with a rubber mallet and the nut screws on kinda funky. You might need to hunt for a special tool... I emprovised with standard tools but it wasn't ideal. Hope this helps. Good luck.

The Cable Guy
09-09-2008, 12:30 AM
See this diagram:
http://www.ada.ru/Guns/exploded/Images/mossberg_500.gif

You need part 29, 30, and 31

That is the action tube, action tube nut, and forend (respectively).

I apologize but I don't have a record of why I bought these, but I beleive it was www.gun-parts.com/mossberg/

the tube and nut are listed as follows:

Action Slide Double Arm..............$40

(Occasionally we get a Single Arm)

Action Tube Nut............................$10

I think the forend is the synthetic tactical but I'm not seeing that listed. I might have bought it together witht the speedfeed stock from midway... my memory escapes me.

FYI... the forend is a friction fit over the tube, I had to hammer mine in with a rubber mallet and the nut screws on kinda funky. You might need to hunt for a special tool... I emprovised with standard tools but it wasn't ideal. Hope this helps. Good luck.

Ahh, I did come across this site when I was looking for it. I wasn't sure about the legitimacy of the site though, so I skipped over it. I went ahead and sent an e-mail to them asking for a quote. Thanks!