PDA

View Full Version : Is it worth reloading shotshells?

The Cable Guy
09-07-2008, 7:00 PM
Say I want 00buck, and slugs, would it be cheaper just to buy it, or reload it?

Gunaria
09-07-2008, 7:06 PM
Do you plan on shooting 100's to 1000's of rounds of 00 & slugs each and every year? If you are then I say reload. If not then just buy them in bulk so you'll have plenty on hand. One of the only reasons one would want to start relaoding shotgun shells is because you and the whole family plus friends shoot a lot of shells each and every year. Either from hunting a lot or busting a lot of clay. Get my drift.

The Cable Guy
09-07-2008, 7:15 PM
Do you plan on shooting 100's to 1000's of rounds of 00 & slugs each and every year? If you are then I say reload. If not then just buy them in bulk so you'll have plenty on hand. One of the only reasons one would want to start relaoding shotgun shells is because you and the whole family plus friends shoot a lot of shells each and every year. Either from hunting a lot or busting a lot of clay. Get my drift.

Yes I do think I'll be shooting that much every year, if not every 2-3 months.

Gunaria
09-07-2008, 7:22 PM
Well then I say get one of these;

http://www.cheaperthandirt.com/ctd_images/bgprod/45312.jpg

MEC 650 Progressive Shotshell Reloader

Spyder
09-07-2008, 8:38 PM
Ha...I just sold one of those with a crapload of powder, hulls, wads, shot and a bunch of other stuff for a hundred and fifty bucks. Had no use for it, so I figured I could use the cash to buy my new Automag III that I should have in about 10 days or so!

bohoki
09-07-2008, 8:52 PM
only if you want to make some fleshette shells with those little bulk pieces

nothing4u
09-07-2008, 10:03 PM
Here is a good website to calculate how much it will cost you to reload shot shells. Include the cost of shipping, hazmat fees, misc reloading tools all into the box with "Enter the cost of your Reloader $" And that will tell you how many reloads you will need for it to pay for itself. After that all your reloads will be pure savings over factory.

http://www.trapshooters.com/rlcalcadv.htm

09-07-2008, 10:44 PM
I've got the tools to load 12 and 20 but seldom do as you don't save a whole lot over the bulk shells. My .410 press gets used a lot as that really saves you some money. I imagine if you shoot 10 or 28ga that you'd save a bundle as well.

Riodog
09-10-2008, 12:16 AM
I've got the tools to load 12 and 20 but seldom do as you don't save a whole lot over the bulk shells. My .410 press gets used a lot as that really saves you some money. I imagine if you shoot 10 or 28ga that you'd save a bundle as well.

Concur. When the wife and I shot trap to the tune of 1000->1500 rds a week it was very definitely worth the time and effort. Now that I just use a shotgun for bird season not so prohibitive. The last few years I've been doin the 28 ga and .410 thing so it might be worth re assessing my options.
Rio

CSACANNONEER
09-10-2008, 5:17 AM
only if you want to make some fleshette shells with those little bulk pieces

You know better than to suggest that someone commit a felony! Please, if you are in Ca., DON'T try this!

Now, back to the OPs question. I'd say that if you cast your own 00 or slugs, reloading 12g will save you money and you will be able to taylor your rounds to your likeing. If you plan on loading steel, Heavy shot or Bisthmus, it will probably save you some cash. If you reload less common shells like .410, then, yes! you will save a lot of cash!

freakshow10mm
09-11-2008, 8:05 PM
Usually cheaper to handload. I don't save that much, as I just load 20ga for hunting, but handloading give me a sense of pride and let's me escape the world.