PDA

View Full Version : Looking to buy a new upper

jojo760
09-07-2008, 7:33 PM
Hey guys, I'm looking to buy a new upper to build a very basic rifle. I am currently considering the Stag 4H to go on my Rock River lower. I have read that some people love them and others have problems with their Stags. I think their exact words were "it's a crap shoot." I would go with a Rock River upper, but if I combine that with the lar-15 lower, it becomes a listed rifle. Does anyone know if CMMG sells a 20" upper similar to this, and if anyone has them? Cold War sells one similar to it, but I am interested in an A2 upper. Everyone else seems to only carry smaller uppers. I have sent an email to one of the retailers here asking if he could order one for me, but never got a response.

Guntech
09-07-2008, 8:03 PM
Thats BS Stags are good the only thing people have problems with are the carrier keys being poorly staked which is a easy fix, and usually doesnt need fixing other than some loctite.

jojo760
09-07-2008, 8:16 PM
I guess the way Rock River did it, was that they named the uppers. If you put a particular upper on a Rock River lower, it could be seen as a listed rifle. I wouldn't want to be a test case for the state of California regarding these in particular.

Standard A-2

Car A2

Standard A-4 Flattop

Car A4 Flattop

NM A2 - DCM Legal

LE Tactical Carbine

X-NewYawker
09-07-2008, 8:18 PM
Call ADDAX and go GPU you will thank him for the cleaning alone!

aplinker
09-07-2008, 9:40 PM
Hey guys, I'm looking to buy a new upper to build a very basic rifle. I am currently considering the Stag 4H to go on my Rock River lower. I have read that some people love them and others have problems with their Stags. I think their exact words were "it's a crap shoot." I would go with a Rock River upper, but if I combine that with the lar-15 lower, it becomes a listed rifle. Does anyone know if CMMG sells a 20" upper similar to this, and if anyone has them? Cold War sells one similar to it, but I am interested in an A2 upper. Everyone else seems to only carry smaller uppers. I have sent an email to one of the retailers here asking if he could order one for me, but never got a response.

Stag isn't a crap shoot, especially when it comes to rifles. They're good - they're just not "top dog." I think, for the money, CMMG makes a better product at a similar price point. Yes, CMMG makes rifles. Check the site sponsors here (http://www.calguns.net/Sponsors.html) and here (http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/forumdisplay.php?f=75).

I really wouldn't put a RRA upper on a lower, especially since you're wanting essentially a "standard A2."

Rifles aren't as finicky as carbines, so odds are good you'll be gtg, much more than carbines.

David @ Riflegear
Wes@ Ten Percent
Cold War Shooters
JK Supply Co.

If you're local to LA go see Randall and he can build it any way you want.

Where are you? We can maybe recommend someone near you.

X-NewYawker
09-07-2008, 10:36 PM
Question. I've been told by many suppliers that there are only maybe five factories that MAKE the lowers, and then any companies sell them badged as theirs. Does anyone know EXACTLY who the AR-15 manufacturers are and what is names each one's uppers and lowers are sold as?

PolishMike
09-07-2008, 10:45 PM
Question. I've been told by many suppliers that there are only maybe five factories that MAKE the lowers, and then any companies sell them badged as theirs. Does anyone know EXACTLY who the AR-15 manufacturers are and what is names each one's uppers and lowers are sold as?

There was a good thread on arfcom comparing them but i cant seem to find it right now

X-NewYawker
09-07-2008, 10:48 PM
Wouldn't that make a good stickie here? Then people would know if they can't get the lower they like from one source, they could get exactly the same pat from another company?

PolishMike
09-07-2008, 10:50 PM
Wouldn't that make a good stickie here? Then people would know if they can't get the lower they like from one source, they could get exactly the same pat from another company?

Common knowledge IMO.

Most people buy a certain brand because they want that brand. All lowers (with the exception of Vulcan and any other plastic/blocked magwell lowers) will work the same. Some people want a spider on the side and others a set of horns. Its personal preference.

Blacktail 8541
09-07-2008, 10:51 PM
That same wright up by xenophobe is some where on this site.

PolishMike
09-07-2008, 10:52 PM
That same wright up by xenophobe is some where on this site.

oops, it was on here not arfcom - good call :)

http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/showthread.php?t=50947

Blacktail 8541
09-07-2008, 11:01 PM
Also on arfcom

http://www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=3&f=12&t=318113

c good
09-08-2008, 9:12 AM
So, would a RRA LAR-15 lower with RRA VARMINT type of upper be a problem? My understanding is that the LAR-15 isn't listed on AW list so it shoudn't be a problem but maybe I'm missing something. c good

PolishMike
09-08-2008, 9:52 AM
I personally wouldnt mix an RRA upper with an RRA lower. That being said its not illegal per se, but any other lower will work just fine.

Vinz
09-08-2008, 10:56 AM
Most people, including myself, go for cost.

xenophobe's thread would make a nice sticky....where do we go to request it.

vinz

Addax
09-08-2008, 11:11 AM

Regarding Stag Arms products, I have had a good degree of success with Stag Arms.

We inspect every upper that comes into our shop and if there is a problem, we send it back for a replacement right away.

Only 1 time did I need to send back 2 Stag Uppers due to some cosmetic blemishes on the upper receiver, and Stag Arms was more than happy to switch out the uppers on their dime.

Other than those 2 cosmetic issue, I have not seen or experienced any issues with the Stag Uppers or the Stag Products we carry and sell.

It is not a crapshoot, it is just that sometimes some people receive products from a AR15 Builder like CMMG, STAG, RRA, DPMS, LMT, etc. etc. and a part might not be fitted correctly or there is a problem with a certain component, that can be corrected or fixed. That is why many of the reputable Builders/Manufacturers stand behind their products with a good and solid warranty.

It is just like buying a car, even brands like Toyota's and Honda's (who have great reputations for reliability) can sometimes build a car that has a bad part or some sort of issue that can be fixed or replaced.

aplinker
09-08-2008, 11:14 AM

There are a number of cutters who do them for a large number of people.

There are also a dozen+ or so smaller shops that cut their own (Sun Devil, Mega, etc).

Even with the similarities in who cuts them, finishes aren't always the same. In addition, the quality of the cuttings aren't so far apart that it demands choosing one over another.

Functionally, they're all good. That's why it's one should pick the one with their roll mark and finish.

diirk
09-08-2008, 11:43 AM
I personally wouldnt mix an RRA upper with an RRA lower. That being said its not illegal per se, but any other lower will work just fine.

I was wondering why not? It would seem that the same mfg of an upper and lower is least likey to have fitment issues? Or is there a legal concern?

aplinker
09-08-2008, 11:46 AM
I was wondering why not? It would seem that the same mfg of an upper and lower is least likey to have fitment issues? Or is there a legal concern?

Yes. (http://ag.ca.gov/firearms/infobuls/kaslist.pdf)

dlouie87
09-08-2008, 7:30 PM
Where are you? We can maybe recommend someone near you.

recommend someone near me...

i'm in northern california... yuba city area.

aplinker
09-08-2008, 9:14 PM

Yipes... You're in BFE ;) I like YC - I like steelies :)

I'm not aware of much up that way. If you make it down to Sac area - JKSupply is FANTASTIC. They're a site sponsor, too.

PolishMike
09-08-2008, 9:54 PM

AFAIK its just an RRA thing. They way they labeled their uppers/lowers is a bit problematic for us here in California.

aplinker
09-08-2008, 10:04 PM
AFAIK its just an RRA thing. They way they labeled their uppers/lowers is a bit problematic for us here in California.

It's not what RRA did, but how CA listed them.

Click the link I put in my prior reply. It lists the RRA AR-series rifles that are banned. How do you know which upper you're putting on?

In essence, and IMHO, this means all RRA uppers mated to lowers are not banned, but in practical terms it would be foolish to do this unless you're willing to spend the money, jail time, etc. to fight a deeper version of Harrot.

PolishMike
09-08-2008, 10:05 PM

Click the link I put in my prior reply. It lists the RRA AR-series rifles that are banned. How do you know which upper you're putting on?

In essence, and IMHO, this means all RRA uppers mated to lowers are not banned, but in practical terms it would be foolish to do this unless you're willing to spend the money, jail time, etc. to fight a deeper version of Harrot.

My fault, your right. I phrased that wrong.

But the my general message stands - its just not worth it.

Blacktail 8541
09-09-2008, 12:34 PM

I'm me for a dealer in Oroville.

diirk
09-09-2008, 8:35 PM

Thanks for the clarification.