PDA

View Full Version : CMMG AR's

Mail Clerk
09-07-2008, 11:48 AM
Hello to all,

Do anyone have any experience/experiences about CMMG rifles???
Are they as good as Bushmaster or others???
Do they accept Wolf ammo without troubles???

Mail Clerk

apbrian112
09-07-2008, 11:53 AM
do a search and you'll see that CMMG is regarded as a pretty good/reliable AR manufacturer... they did have some problems when they started blowing up (hired new staff and QC went down), but that seems to have gone away. like any company, lemons will be made, it's how the companies react to that.

many of the calguns vendors stock CMMG and would be more than willing to help you choose a upper of your liking.

Lateralus
09-07-2008, 1:21 PM
I personally rank CMMG just a little higher than Stag/RRA. They use 1/7 twists, M4 feed ramps in both barrel and receiver, parkerize under the FSB, chrome lined chamber/bore, and they stake their carrier keys pretty well. They also have great CS; I recently received one of their uppers that had no stamp on the barrel. Instead of just re engraving it, they completely replaced the upper. For the money, I believe they are the best out there. All of my rifles are CMMG, except for one LMT and im not complaining about having that one :D

a1fabweld
09-07-2008, 1:35 PM
I have 2 CMMG rifles. Both use CMMG uppers, lowers & parts kits. Both rifles function is flawless. Although I don't have a ton of rounds through them (about 800 rds on one & 300 rds on the other), I've never experienced a single problem. They offer alot more options than most manufacturers as far as their uppers go. For the price range, I think CMMG is the best out there.

gcvt
09-07-2008, 2:01 PM
I have a CMMG rifle (both upper and lower) and have never had a single problem with. Never had a FTF or FTE. Never shot Wolf through it though - I believe CMMG states that Wolf ammo voids their warranty.

http://bayareadesign.com/gcvt/pics/ar-15_2.jpg

TurboFall
09-07-2008, 5:01 PM
I have a full CMMG rifle, and it's quite nice. It has everything you'd expect, and by far the most options available OTD; they'll sell them in just about any configuration you can imagine.

My only beef with CMMG is their refusal to make a 20" SS HBAR :D

BlackDrop50
09-07-2008, 6:12 PM
Just put together a CMMG Upper/Lower/LPK. No problems whatsoever. Pretty accurate but I know it can do better than me

bwiese
09-07-2008, 6:30 PM
CMMG is generally pretty high up; I'm pretty high on their bbl quality.

Use of Wolf ammo may void their warranty. However, any AR with a chrome-lined bbl should be able to run with Wolf: if not, there's a problem with the gun.

Mail Clerk
09-07-2008, 6:37 PM
Thank you all for your imputs into my inquiry. Currently I'm thinking about putting together a version that's simular to the old M-16 Commando that had the short barrel. I believe CMMG has a 11.5" version that might do the trick for my appetite but viewing over "YOU TUBE" a guy trying to shoot his CMMG shorty for the first time he had misfires. Why perhaps it was not broken in yet but it was interesting to watch. The commando rifles of that era I heard was prone to short cycleing due to the limited amount of expent gas put in the gas tube as the bullet passes. That's why I understand that for reliability purposes I in reality should go 14.5" carbine.

For now I have to go back to work so it'll be a while I can do anything anyway.

Again thanks for all the responses.

Mail Clerk

aplinker
09-07-2008, 9:47 PM
I hope you're well aware of legality issues with something like that.

It would require a 4.5" permanently attached muzzle device to keep you out of serious Fed prison time - which would need to be done before you were in possession of a lower.

Carbines, especially short ones, can be finicky. Out of the box you have to run them right to get them to stay running well.

I would absolutely not suggest a shorty for your 1st. 16" or even 14.5" barrel (with perm attached muzzle device) with mid-length gas is the way to go for better reliability.

Thank you all for your imputs into my inquiry. Currently I'm thinking about putting together a version that's simular to the old M-16 Commando that had the short barrel. I believe CMMG has a 11.5" version that might do the trick for my appetite but viewing over "YOU TUBE" a guy trying to shoot his CMMG shorty for the first time he had misfires. Why perhaps it was not broken in yet but it was interesting to watch. The commando rifles of that era I heard was prone to short cycleing due to the limited amount of expent gas put in the gas tube as the bullet passes. That's why I understand that for reliability purposes I in reality should go 14.5" carbine.

For now I have to go back to work so it'll be a while I can do anything anyway.

Again thanks for all the responses.

Mail Clerk

Paltik.45acp
09-07-2008, 10:49 PM
Here's my commando rifle from CMMG, it's the one on the
right. You can order from CMMG one w/ a carry handle to
make it more original and A1 sights.