PDA

View Full Version : Hog hunting in So Cal

Frijolito1988
09-07-2008, 1:02 AM
Hey there guys any private land around so cal where i can pay and hunt hog ? I have NEVER hunted anything ( just birds with a bb gun lol ) so what would the pursedure be. Would i need a hunting license ? Hunters class ? if i go to public land and hunt that is legal with out any license ?

also i will be using a Cetme/G3 clone (.308) and my .223 AR would these be good to hunt ? i will be going with my father and a maybe a uncle or 2 thanks for the replys

Frijolito1988
09-07-2008, 12:21 PM
bump

StraightShooter
09-07-2008, 12:34 PM
No matter where you go public or private, in state or out of state you will need a license. In order to get a license you will need to take a hunters safety class. As far as hunting hogs in so cal there really isnt much around. You will need to head up to central california in order to have some luck most likely.

Full Clip
09-07-2008, 12:54 PM
Get your Hunter's Safety/license out of the way first.
Also, I'd say the .223 is somewhat underpowered (hogs have a smaller kill zone and are tougher than deer); the .308 would be solid.
Some basic (and graphic) info on the kill zone: http://www.texasboars.com/anatomy.html
Are both rifles OLL? BB? If looking for private land, make sure they will allow them. They may be legal by law, but on private land, I believe the owner could simply deny access based on whatever their interpretation of the law may be (no matter how wrong). As for possible sites closer to So Cal area, you can try Tejon Ranch: http://www.hunttejon.com/
Not cheap, but what is these days? Let Google be your friend for other options. And good luck!

OldGunTard
09-07-2008, 1:28 PM
You can read lots of hog hunters touting their own choice of hog gun, but everyone seems to agree that 308 is up to the job. But what 308? Hogs are so tough that an ordinary expanding bullet can splatter on the surface. The "hog blog" guy uses Nosler partition 180's. The front half expands, the back half stays intact and keeps driving.

What's that Cetme weigh? Ten pounds?

Please update here after you've done your hunt. Good luck.

glockman19
09-07-2008, 3:00 PM
No matter where you go public or private, in state or out of state you will need a license. In order to get a license you will need to take a hunters safety class.

+1

There is both public and private land to hunt pigs on in So Cal. Private hunting at Tejon Ranch is expensive but they have pigs.

Public land in the Los Padres National Forrest around Santa Barbara and throughout the Santa Ynez Area.

As for ammo I take use Federal Barnes XXX All Copper NO LEAD 168 grain .30-06 in a Remington 700. I'll also take a S&W .44 mag with Federal Premium Vital-Shok Ammunition 44 Remington Magnum 225 Grain Barnes XPB Lead-Free Ammo. Sometimes I'll bring a Remington 870 12 gauge shotgun Federal Premium Vital-Shok Barnes Expander Hollow Point Sabot Slug Lead-Free.

5150Marcelo
09-07-2008, 3:02 PM
frijolito, you can hit Big Horn Ranch in Riverside county, and Tejon Ranch out passed Magic Mountain. You will still need a license tho.

lucas_shane
09-07-2008, 3:14 PM
the gun of shoice is up to the shooter. i hunt hogs about 250 days of the year. not on purpose but my land is covered with them. i have shot them at about 200 yrds with a 270 right between the eyes and had them run with no luck of finding them. ive shot them with a 357 at point blank range right between the eyes two times and then finally ear holed him befor he died. at the same time i have walked up to them with a 22 lr ( in a trap ) one shot one kill. i like to do most of my hunting with a savage 222 over a 20 guage. havent tried the shot gun but a shot behind the ear out as far as 150 with the 222 seems to dropem where they stand.
just wanted to give yall something to think about

Gunaria
09-07-2008, 3:23 PM
the gun of shoice is up to the shooter. i hunt hogs about 250 days of the year. not on purpose but my land is covered with them. i have shot them at about 200 yrds with a 270 right between the eyes and had them run with no luck of finding them. ive shot them with a 357 at point blank range right between the eyes two times and then finally ear holed him befor he died. at the same time i have walked up to them with a 22 lr ( in a trap ) one shot one kill. i like to do most of my hunting with a savage 222 over a 20 guage. havent tried the shot gun but a shot behind the ear out as far as 150 with the 222 seems to dropem where they stand.

If you ever need any help just send me a PM.;)

5150Marcelo
09-07-2008, 3:31 PM

Its a dirty job, but I will help do it!:D:D:D
PM me.

spectr17
09-07-2008, 4:08 PM
If you've never hunted hogs it may be your best bet to pay for a guided hunt so you can learn from them. Public land is tough sledding, under 10% success rate.

Tejon is your best deal for a private ranch hunt at the Pig-O-Ramas. $500 may sound like a lot but after you make 3 or 4 trips to central CA and never see any hogs on public land the gas money adds up. We have our Pig-O-Ramas there for $450. The next one is in May if you want to come. We take the new guys and pair them up with guys who know the ranch and help them learn how to find hogs and kill them then field dress and skin them.

You don't need a license to hunt BigHorn, it's a put and take operation behind a fence. http://www.bighorncanyonranch.com/

Frijolito1988
09-07-2008, 5:27 PM
Its a dirty job, but I will help do it!:D:D:D
PM me.

thanks for all the info guys! so i will take some classes where i can take some ? I heard somebody say turners should i just go speak to them reguarding hog hutning classes and license ?

and ima send you a pm! if you need help or are open for a few guys to help you do the dirty work i am willing and able! lol :D

Frijolito1988
09-07-2008, 6:39 PM
also if i go to public hog hunting land in santa barbara

i would need my license ? andthat is all just go there and start hunting hogs ? or would i have to buy tags

Full Clip
09-07-2008, 6:43 PM
Hunter's Safety Class, License, Tags, go hunt. In that order.