PDA

View Full Version : Finally shot my GSG-5 today

socalgunrunner
09-06-2008, 9:51 PM
I just got mine a couple of weeks ago. I had ordered it back in January after seeing it advertised in Shotgun News. I kind of felt like I had to take from my dealer after waiting so long.

Anyways, the darn thing does shoot some pretty tight groups. Problem is: The're about 12" high, and to the left. Right about 10 'o' clock. It's a good thing this rifle has a adjustable sights. It's just that I've never had this problem with a rifle before, especially a .22LR. My Ruger 10/22 shoots dead on, and it was half the price!

Should I even attempt to sight it in using the factory sights, or should I put some sort of electronic sight on it?

Gator Monroe
09-06-2008, 9:52 PM
Let me know if it Doubles and triples like my WASR 22 !:)

socalgunrunner
09-06-2008, 9:58 PM
Let me know if it Doubles and triples like my WASR 22 !:)

It actually functions pretty good. I ran about 250 rounds of Winchester Super X, and CCI Mini Mags through it without a single failure.

I was actually somewhat impressed. The accuracy from the factory did disturb me a bit though. Hopefully it can be compensated for with the right sights.

Saigon1965
09-06-2008, 10:06 PM
Can't wait till I pick mine up next week - Hope I won't encounter problems though

Gator Monroe
09-06-2008, 10:09 PM
Can't wait till I pick mine up next week - Hope I won't encounter problems though

I know what you mean (The pics of cracked Reciever/bolt parts and various other prollems and breakedges floating around the various Firearm boards makes me very hesitant to pull the trigger on one of the little Germans ...

X-NewYawker
09-06-2008, 10:15 PM
It actually functions pretty good. I ran about 250 rounds of Winchester Super X, and CCI Mini Mags through it without a single failure.

I was actually somewhat impressed. The accuracy from the factory did disturb me a bit though. Hopefully it can be compensated for with the right sights.

Sounds like the accuracy (the group size) was good. It just wasn't regulated, or sighted in by the factory (they make airsoft guns fer crissakes) Some guns come out of the box shooting dead on. We call those "the lucky ones" since every different bullet weight goes slightly somehwere else. finding a gun that shoots to point of aim with the ammo we use all the time is a great thing.

If the sights dont have enough play to brig the groups over, scope it. Did ALL the bullets from teh different manufacturers go to the same place?

socalgunrunner
09-06-2008, 10:32 PM
Sounds like the accuracy (the group size) was good. It just wasn't regulated, or sighted in by the factory (they make airsoft guns fer crissakes) Some guns come out of the box shooting dead on. We call those "the lucky ones" since every different bullet weight goes slightly somehwere else. finding a gun that shoots to point of aim with the ammo we use all the time is a great thing.

If the sights dont have enough play to brig the groups over, scope it. Did ALL the bullets from teh different manufacturers go to the same place?

Yes. All the bullets were tightly grouped in the same place. I was shooting from a rest at about 50ft (indoor range). The problem was that they were about 1 foot to the left of where I was aiming. I know the HK style diopter sights kinda suck, but this ridiculous.

TKM
09-06-2008, 10:35 PM
Sounds like a little kinetic adjustment may be called for.

socalgunrunner
09-06-2008, 10:46 PM
Sounds like a little kinetic adjustment may be called for.

Exactly. I just aimed down and to the right and I started hitting right on target. I couldn't let the other guys in the range think I was a novice, or something. :D

Gator Monroe
09-06-2008, 10:47 PM
Exactly. I just aimed down and to the right and I started hitting right on target. I couldn't let the other guys in the range think I was a novice, or something. :D

40 years of shooting and Firearm ownership and i'm still a Novice ...:mad:

69Mach1
09-06-2008, 10:53 PM
I just got mine a couple of weeks ago. I had ordered it back in January after seeing it advertised in Shotgun News. I kind of felt like I had to take from my dealer after waiting so long.

Anyways, the darn thing does shoot some pretty tight groups. Problem is: The're about 12" high, and to the left. Right about 10 'o' clock. It's a good thing this rifle has a adjustable sights. It's just that I've never had this problem with a rifle before, especially a .22LR. My Ruger 10/22 shoots dead on, and it was half the price!

Should I even attempt to sight it in using the factory sights, or should I put some sort of electronic sight on it?

Congratulations on the new toy.

You too. :D

I've shot about 500 rounds through mine without any cleaning, and it's still has not jammed once.

Mac Attack
09-06-2008, 11:32 PM
Adjust it.

Mine did the same thing and required a site adjustment. Once it was adjusted all my rounds made a tight group to POA.

However my eyes would strain with the open sites so I put my eotech 512 on it and which is much easier on the eyes. The site does not cowitness but if I take off the eotech the opens are right on.

nagorb
09-07-2008, 3:50 AM
:useless:

CSACANNONEER
09-07-2008, 8:36 AM
I've only run about 1K though mine so far and I have yet to clean it. It shoots cloverleaf groups at 50ft. It hasn't had one FTF, FTE or any other problem and when out of state, I was able to assemble my normal mag parts kits for some of the most fun I've every had with a rimfire. The only problem that I see with them is that they aren't made for constant use and will probably not take the punishment that a 10-22 can.

69Mach1
09-07-2008, 12:30 PM
http://i82.photobucket.com/albums/j258/FIVESIXTN/DSC03602.jpg
http://i82.photobucket.com/albums/j258/FIVESIXTN/DSC03600.jpg

Video
http://i82.photobucket.com/albums/j258/FIVESIXTN/th_Picture117.jpg (http://s82.photobucket.com/albums/j258/FIVESIXTN/?action=view&current=Picture117.flv)

http://i82.photobucket.com/albums/j258/FIVESIXTN/th_Picture119.jpg (http://s82.photobucket.com/albums/j258/FIVESIXTN/?action=view&current=Picture119.flv)

Wishing it was this. :43:
http://i82.photobucket.com/albums/j258/FIVESIXTN/th_Picture2017.jpg (http://s82.photobucket.com/albums/j258/FIVESIXTN/?action=view&current=Picture2017.flv)

trykp
09-07-2008, 1:26 PM
wow ive never seen this before, looks really cool. i want one now! :D. can i just order one through my dealer? how much?

nice gun!
thanks!

socalgunrunner
09-07-2008, 1:33 PM
wow ive never seen this before, looks really cool. i want one now! :D. can i just order one through my dealer? how much?

nice gun!
thanks!

I ordered mine from a local dealer about 6 months ago, and I just barely got it. It probably wouldn't take that long now. They're getting easier to come by these days. I paid $499 for mine, but the people that ordered after me paid $550.

petrole
09-07-2008, 2:11 PM
I've only run about 1K though mine so far and I have yet to clean it.

Haha, wait until you do :). Such a pain on the arse to clean. And after 3 bricks of federal, there was crud in every nook and cranny (which this rifle doesn't seem to be lacking in internally). Thank goodness for PowderBlast.

Note:
make sure bolt is closed before trying to remove the bolt retainer nut (stupid springs... Speaking of which, if you must break it down to that point, make sure you orient the springs in the correct way ie. tapered end of spring towards the front, otherwise will snag when trying to charge)

gn3hz3ku1*
09-07-2008, 6:56 PM
sounds like you should airsoft it up a little? haha jk dont follow my tacticool ways

socalgunrunner
09-08-2008, 8:16 AM
Haha, wait until you do :). Such a pain on the arse to clean. And after 3 bricks of federal, there was crud in every nook and cranny (which this rifle doesn't seem to be lacking in internally). Thank goodness for PowderBlast.

See what happens when you use that Wally World stuff ;)

trykp
09-08-2008, 12:47 PM
just for kicks, any possible way to convert this piece into fully automatic :D? would be so nice for a gun like this...

Quiet
09-08-2008, 12:59 PM
just for kicks, any possible way to convert this piece into fully automatic :D? would be so nice for a gun like this...

NO.

People in states where civilian ownership of SBR/MG are allowed have already looked into it. The GSG5 does not take any H&K MP5 internal parts and will not accept MP5 lowers without extreme mods, so using a GSG5 as a sear host is not possible.

Also, non-FFL/SOT civilian ownership of MGs manufacturer after 1986 is illegal.

Jicko
09-08-2008, 1:18 PM
I saw somewhere that I think that if you have an elevation issue, they are willing to exchange your rear sight for you.... they are coming out with a rear sight that elevation adjustment... I haven't look into that too closely yet tho...

Infidel
09-08-2008, 2:27 PM
Damn...I've been on the waiting list since Feb...When the hell is Bullseye going to get them?!?!?!?!?!?

socalgunrunner
09-08-2008, 5:48 PM
Damn...I've been on the waiting list since Feb...When the hell is Bullseye going to get them?!?!?!?!?!?

I thought all you Bullseye people got yours already. They were advertising them on Calguns a long time ago.

This is actually the third rifle that I've been offered. I got calls from both DD's Ranch, and Atlantic Firearms over two months ago. I declined those because I would have had to pay for shipping and transfer fees that would've cost me about an extra 100 bucks. So I just waited and got the one from my local guy.