PDA

View Full Version : LA Puente Firing Range... OMG

gn3hz3ku1*
09-06-2008, 6:45 PM
http://www.lpfr.com/LPFR/Home.html

So I show up with a buddy and shot my GSG5 2 weeks ago. Not a single problem, they check the gun check the ammo to make sure its not lead and off we go.

Today after getting a friend to buy his first gun we went again. This time, they took one look at the gsg5 and said where is your AW registration. and the convo went something like this, i am not telling anyone not to go there but everyone can decide for themself.

Me: what registration again?
Them: Assault weapon
m: its not a AW
T: looks like it to me
m: well its not its rim figer
m: you know its a 22 lr
T; does it have a telescope stock
m: yes
T: desk it have a pistol grip and can you drop mags.
T; then its a AW
M: go read the law, it says center fire and i have rim fire
T: its a AW
M: tell you should call the cops and tell them i got an AW
T: its a AW no registration no shoot
T: no the cops says we cant allow it only 10 /20s
M: 10/20s lets you drop mags
t: it dont look like a AW
M: if you look like a criminal then you are?
t: if you dont like it you can leave
M: whatever, maybe you guys should get a lawyer and stand up to the cops next time
T: you cant fight the cops
M: cops cant rewrite laws and heck yea you can if they are wrong

so in the end i just shot the crap out of my 1911 and didnt get to fool around with my tacticoooll GSG-5 and they turned away some other guy who had a 22 rifle but i didnt get to see what it was.

69Mach1
09-06-2008, 6:47 PM
Do not bother arguing. I couldn't shoot my PC9 even though they had them for rent. And man, I didn't know you were so close. Try the Brea shooting range. Much nicer people over there.

gn3hz3ku1*
09-06-2008, 6:52 PM
I am fine if he tells me the cops tells him they cant allow it, then it is what it is. It just pisses me off that he tells me i have an AW and starts to quote law to me and missed the keyword.

WRENCHHEAD
09-06-2008, 6:53 PM
that range staff and rules are retarded there.

stphnman20
09-06-2008, 6:55 PM
Damn that sucks! Would've thought they would know..

gn3hz3ku1*
09-06-2008, 7:05 PM
Do not bother arguing. I couldn't shoot my PC9 even though they had them for rent. And man, I didn't know you were so close. Try the Brea shooting range. Much nicer people over there.

brea is another 15 minutes added to my drive :( might as well go to burro then.

WRENCHHEAD
09-06-2008, 7:13 PM
Damn that sucks! Would've thought they would know..

they don't care to know...

David002
09-06-2008, 7:38 PM
the other guy with the .22 they only turned down because you were there. they were originally going to let him in. at least thats the impression i got from the way they were talkin to him when you went to put your GSG away.

gn3hz3ku1*
09-06-2008, 8:15 PM
so they were going to let him shot his 22 but my was too AW for them? yea i would have raised hell

Mail Clerk
09-06-2008, 8:31 PM
http://www.lpfr.com/LPFR/Home.html

So I show up with a buddy and shot my GSG5 2 weeks ago. Not a single problem, they check the gun check the ammo to make sure its not lead and off we go.

Today after getting a friend to buy his first gun we went again. This time, they took one look at the gsg5 and said where is your AW registration. and the convo went something like this, i am not telling anyone not to go there but everyone can decide for themself.

Me: what registration again?
Them: Assault weapon
m: its not a AW
T: looks like it to me
m: well its not its rim figer
m: you know its a 22 lr
T; does it have a telescope stock
T: desk it have a pistol grip and can you drop mags.
T; then its a AW
M: go read the law, it says center fire and i have rim fire
T: its a AW
M: tell you should call the cops and tell them i got an AW
T: its a AW no registration no shoot
T: no the cops says we cant allow it only 10 /20s
M: 10/20s lets you drop mags
t: it dont look like a AW
M: if you look like a criminal then you are?
t: if you dont like it you can leave
M: whatever, maybe you guys should get a lawyer and stand up to the cops next time
T: you cant fight the cops
M: cops cant rewrite laws and heck yea you can if they are wrong

so in the end i just shot the crap out of my 1911 and didnt get to fool around with my tacticoooll GSG-5 and they turned away some other guy who had a 22 rifle but i didnt get to see what it was.

Sorry you had so much trouble there. I've shot there before also and I can tell you that sometimes their very ignorant in who they let shoot at their range. When it comes to the ammo their very picky also and literally banned Wolf ammo only because they can't/don't understand what steel cased means in regards to the entire bullet. Of course the bullet itself is not steel...just the shell casing BUT the owners working crew can't tell the difference. If they did that to you then that means I can't ever shoot my AR looking rifle I bought from Turner's Outdoorsman about 3 years ago. That looks just as much a AW as anything else.

May I suggest the Inland Shooting Range in Highland California. It's a small range and outdoors. Hot it is right now and can get windy in the afternoons but not in the mornings. I just came out from the area. The people appear to be very nice and for lunch or dinner you can head back to the Victoria Gardens and go the Bass Pro Shop for some good and pleatiful supplies afterwards.

Mail Clerk

rcfb73
09-06-2008, 8:38 PM
sucks to hear about LPFR being ignorant about the laws.

first time i went there my friend brought his .22 and had no problems with it, although its just a standard .22 rifle, doenst make sense why they turned away the other .22 unless they were just trying to prove something to you.

this is the only range ive taken my m&p40 at, and the vibe i get seems positive, but then again im shooting a semi standarg gun.

shade1
09-06-2008, 9:48 PM
Magnum range in Rancho Cucamonga off of vineyard and 9th are very easy to get along with so far i havent had a single complaint 22's to 12g no problems cheap quality reloads there too.

JayRuff
09-07-2008, 12:02 AM
that place sounds like a nightmare

Fobjoe
09-07-2008, 12:08 AM
That place is a ripoff anyway. They did you a favor sending you away. La Puente range is notorious for poor service, poor understanding of laws, and high prices. I know very few people who have had good experiences from them. (or at least I know a lot of people who had bad experiences with them)

69Mach1
09-07-2008, 12:23 AM
It's a shame. I learned how to shoot there (and at the San Gabriel Valley Gun Club). It's OK to have a policy of not allowing OLL type rifles, but to be aggressively anti OLL is not necessary.

Juicymeat
09-07-2008, 12:42 AM
I've noticed the guys at LPFR are nice to me whenever I chat with them and rent guns from them. Bring in my own stuff and they're sort of whatever about my presence. Last time I went, I didn't bring my guns up from my place down in San Diego and wanted to take my brother shooting, so we go and rent out a Glock 19. Hit the range and bam, first shot makes the mag fly out of the gun. Thinking it's just me not used to Glocks and I happened to have hit the mag release. Fire again and the magazine shoots out again. Take it back to them and they basically said too bad. In the end we had to teacup the entire time and left early.

Sheldon
09-07-2008, 3:50 AM
I used to like to go there because they were close to the house. Then they seemed to get cheap with the lighting and ventilation, which was a pain, but got me practice in a low light environment. The last straw for me was the ban on lead ammo....but that's probably eveywhere now due to the EPA. Haven't shot in an indoor range in ages.....used to really like Santa Anita Indoor Range too.

hawk1
09-07-2008, 7:21 AM
So after all that FUD they spewed, you paid your money and stayed to shot at their facility? Should have walked... It's the only way they will learn.

gn3hz3ku1*
09-07-2008, 10:50 AM
iSo after all that FUD they spewed, you paid your money and stayed to shot at their facility? Should have walked... It's the only way they will learn.

I didn't want to ruin it for my friends so I stayed. I can under stand some anti oll places but a gsg is a 22. I went on a saturday and they had more employees than shooters... so its only time before there is no more ranges in that area..

VAHEVAHE
09-07-2008, 3:13 PM
To the op:

http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/showthread.php?t=83823&highlight=shooting+range

Apparently they think everything is a AW now.

Moonclip
09-07-2008, 3:22 PM
I believe this range charges by the hour, I don't go to ranges that do that.

Batbunny
09-07-2008, 4:17 PM
If its not to far for you, try the oc indoor firing range in brea. This is where i go to shoot when I can't make it out to burro canyon. Downside is they do charge by the hour, but since i'm a seasonal shooter (I go to school in norcal but i live down south) i just pay for the 30 day pass when i'm down here. The 30 day pass is 30 dollars but sometimes they have a promotion where you can donate 10 bucks to some local school thing and you get the 30 day pass (i've done this once wish it would come back). Plus the staff is pretty friendly.

Also on a side note i just noticed the other day that they partake in the OLL movement. Saw a stag stripped lower for 150 and 2 complete rifles didn't find out what parts they use though or the price on those.