PDA

View Full Version : Open Desert Areas Near Los Angeles To Go Shooting?

XD45
09-06-2008, 6:30 PM
Can anyone suggest any places near Los Angeles to go shooting in the open desert or other rural non-populated areas. Not a range. Obviously I'm looking at a bit of a drive to really get out into the open desert. Is it even legal to go shooting in the desert/rural areas? Thanks!

Nodda Duma
09-06-2008, 7:05 PM
Whatever area you pick, make sure it has a backstop and keep your eyes and ears open for dirt bikers. Those guys are all over the place.

-Jason

xjz
09-06-2008, 7:09 PM
I live in Ridgecrest and you can almost point at any of the mountains around the valley and I've been shooting there (~3 hours from LA) as long as its not on base. I'd suggest going just past the Jawbone Station OHV area and turning off on the randsburg wash road cuts from Highway 14 across to highway 395 and pull up to the mountains along the north side of the road and blast away (~ 2.5 hours from LA). I cant recommend anywhere closer because I haven't been there althought you still drive thru a lot of desert to get to that location.

makav3li
09-06-2008, 7:28 PM
I live in Ridgecrest and you can almost point at any of the mountains around the valley and I've been shooting there (~3 hours from LA) as long as its not on base. I'd suggest going just past the Jawbone Station OHV area and turning off on the randsburg wash road cuts from Highway 14 across to highway 395 and pull up to the mountains along the north side of the road and blast away (~ 2.5 hours from LA). I cant recommend anywhere closer because I haven't been there althought you still drive thru a lot of desert to get to that location.

sweet i drive to ridgecrest once every 2 weeks or so for work. maybe next time on my back home (garlock rd to the 14 to the 58) i could just pull over and start shooting. thanks

aplinker
09-06-2008, 7:53 PM
Be careful... there are lots of areas that are "shotgun only", "no target shooting," etc.

Someone put up a map recently, but my quick search failed.

I believe it was in the hunting section.

69Mach1
09-06-2008, 7:55 PM
Be careful... there are lots of areas that are "shotgun only", "no target shooting," etc.

Someone put up a map recently, but my quick search failed.

I believe it was in the hunting section.

I got your back.
http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/showthread.php?t=115497&highlight=finally+hands+map

http://www.jesseshunting.com/images/san_berdoo_shooting_map_2008_south_mtns.jpg

Oops, might not be the county you're looking for.

aplinker
09-06-2008, 8:04 PM
Thanks, buddy... :D

Where's the high-5 smiley?

Mail Clerk
09-06-2008, 8:48 PM
Can anyone suggest any places near Los Angeles to go shooting in the open desert or other rural non-populated areas. Not a range. Obviously I'm looking at a bit of a drive to really get out into the open desert. Is it even legal to go shooting in the desert/rural areas? Thanks!

XD45,

You living in the past my friend :-) Like the others have said many places in the desert are considered off limits!

If I were you I'd condsider a shooting open range in the desert areas. I personally go to the Inland Shooting Range in Highland. Since you live in Los Angeles like I do give yourself a good hour and a half driving time. It's only about twenty bucks to shoot for an all days shooting time. If your a bench rest shooter then your in luck as they'r benches are pretty good and solid.

If you shoot in an undesignated area your gonna get busted by the Sheriffs and your in the slammer for sure.

Mail Clerk

Fate
09-06-2008, 9:06 PM
Mail Clerk... You affiliated with Inland?

NiteQwill
09-06-2008, 9:11 PM
There's a few places to shoot in the desert. Near Tehachapi and Lancaster there's a lot of open desert to shoot and many people do it. As long as you're on BLM land, you're good to go.

USMC_2651_E5
09-06-2008, 9:14 PM
I'm digging the yellow between the 15/215 split and the cajon pass. Anyone know of a discreet area in there to shoot?

MILLITIAof1
09-06-2008, 9:44 PM
driving to nevada is sooo much better...
you can shoot oll's like they are supposed to be shot(30rd detachable mags) without fear of going to jail!

chuck762
09-06-2008, 9:54 PM
XD45,

You living in the past my friend :-) Like the others have said many places in the desert are considered off limits!

If I were you I'd condsider a shooting open range in the desert areas. I personally go to the Inland Shooting Range in Highland. Since you live in Los Angeles like I do give yourself a good hour and a half driving time. It's only about twenty bucks to shoot for an all days shooting time. If your a bench rest shooter then your in luck as they'r benches are pretty good and solid.

If you shoot in an undesignated area your gonna get busted by the Sheriffs and your in the slammer for sure.

Mail Clerk

There are quite a few places in the desert on BLM land to go shooting. BLM offices have been helpful in pointng out legal areas in my experiance.
If i am going to drive at least an hour and a half I will head to the desert instead of some range where I have to follow thier rules and limitations on ammo, targets, and how fast I can pull the trigger. Ranges are ok for sighting in but get boring real fast.
You can't beat a overnight camping/shooting trip.

Call a BLM office in the area you want to head to and buy the maps and ask if they can mark the general areas where it is legal to target shoot.

I usualy head out past Barstow.

ar15barrels
09-06-2008, 10:26 PM
I'm digging the yellow between the 15/215 split and the cajon pass. Anyone know of a discreet area in there to shoot?

Most of that is either populated enough now that you won't be able to find any area that's over a mile away from a public road or 1/2 mile away from a dwelling (state laws on where you can shoot).

USMC_2651_E5
09-06-2008, 10:48 PM
do public roads include fire roads?

ar15barrels
09-06-2008, 10:51 PM
do public roads include fire roads?

Public roads are roads accessible to public.
If there is a locked gate across it, it's not public.
If it's posted no tresspassing, it's not public.
If it's on private property, it's not public.
Otherwise, it's public.

If you have the permission of the owner of a dwelling, you can shoot less than 1/2 (or is 1/4?) mile from that dwelling.
The law also reads that you can actually shoot AT a dwelling with the owners permission too.
It's funny what they write into laws...

USMC_2651_E5
09-06-2008, 11:02 PM
Thanks for the clarification. Just playing with google earth and I found what looks like a potential spot if willing to hike. Its a canyon that runs southwest from the entrance to the Lytle Creek range. Might be able to 4X4 it in the dry creek bed. It looks good on the map, but from the ground it might be a bad idea.

ar15barrels
09-06-2008, 11:11 PM
Thanks for the clarification. Just playing with google earth and I found what looks like a potential spot if willing to hike. Its a canyon that runs southwest from the entrance to the Lytle Creek range. Might be able to 4X4 it in the dry creek bed. It looks good on the map, but from the ground it might be a bad idea.

I've jeeped through that canyon.
A Lot of hunters hunt there once the season opens.
You access it by turning across the railroad tracks just west of the 215.
I forget the exact exit though.

valleyguy
09-07-2008, 10:01 AM
No offense, Mail Clerk, but if XD45 lives in L.A., he can save himself a lot of time and trouble and just come to Angeles range. $14 for adults, all-day shooting, nice amenities, and still has that desert-style scenery :)

Only caveat, no magnetic ammo allowed.

Mail Clerk
09-07-2008, 10:42 AM
No offense, Mail Clerk, but if XD45 lives in L.A., he can save himself a lot of time and trouble and just come to Angeles range. $14 for adults, all-day shooting, nice amenities, and still has that desert-style scenery :)

Only caveat, no magnetic ammo allowed.

valleygy,

Yes what you say is true. We'll just have to let him decide. My mistake.

For myself I like bench rest shooting but do not compete. I'd like to find out if they have decent benches at Angeles??? My best local was San Gabriel Valley Gun Club but was closed by some dirty city politics. If Angeles has at least a decent benches that go out to about 200 yards then my buddy and I might pay them a visit.

Mail Clerk

50 Shooter
09-07-2008, 11:17 AM
Angeles has concrete benches with benches behind them to place all your shooting stuff on. You can drive up to the benches to drop your stuff off and pick it up.

http://www.angelesranges.com/Pictures/picture.html

ar15barrels
09-07-2008, 12:52 PM
valleygy,

Yes what you say is true. We'll just have to let him decide. My mistake.

For myself I like bench rest shooting but do not compete. I'd like to find out if they have decent benches at Angeles??? My best local was San Gabriel Valley Gun Club but was closed by some dirty city politics. If Angeles has at least a decent benches that go out to about 200 yards then my buddy and I might pay them a visit.

Mail Clerk

Angeles has solid concrete benches.
Paper to 100, steel to 600.
Occaisionally I see people with paper to 200, but I think you need your own stands and you had better run fast during line breaks or everyone gets pissed if you hold up the line dawdling back...

50 Shooter
09-07-2008, 1:43 PM
They use to let people go out to 300 with paper if you ran out there to set up and check your targets. Funny thing was, the people that went out to 300 were usually back before the people that went to 100.

They also use to have 700 yard targets and a 1000 yard gong but those are gone for good. They did tell us before that if we wanted the 1000 yard gong back up we would have to hike out and set it up. Plus rent a helicopter to pick it and reset it.:p

Mail Clerk
09-07-2008, 1:55 PM
Angeles has solid concrete benches.
Paper to 100, steel to 600.
Occaisionally I see people with paper to 200, but I think you need your own stands and you had better run fast during line breaks or everyone gets pissed if you hold up the line dawdling back...

ar15barrels,

Most of the time I just shoot to 100 yards using bench rest targets. Again I don't compete as all I want is too unwind myself from the usual working crap we go through during the week.

I'm surpirsed you live so close. I just had my truck washed at the car wash near Sepulveda and Venice today.

Later,

Mail Clerk