PDA

View Full Version : Hey AK Guys in So CA, Need Your Help !!

Electric Factory
09-06-2008, 12:48 PM
I recently purchased an AK-type 7.62x39 rifle from a fellow Cal-gunner which I'm mostly pleased with. In firing it today however I discovered a couple anomalies which need immediate attention;

-having charged the rifle from the magazine, the first round will fire but the subsequent round, once stripped from the mag will not, this because the trigger mechanism [ trigger return spring ?] will not return to firing status.
- I experienced two separate F.A.D.'s, this again I think because the trigger return spring either isn't working at all or weak.

Basically I need someone to examine my trigger, swap whatever parts need swapping and generally perform a functionality test as I'm not qualified to do the work. I suspect either one or another spring[s] need replacing, but I don't know which. I'd be willing to pay someone for their expertise and time. Is this ringing any bells for you AK guys out there ? Is there an AK rifle spring replacement kit to be had ?

I'm in the San Fernando Valley of So CA, any help or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Josh3239
09-06-2008, 1:19 PM
Call or email James Maddux and make an appointment, he is located in Simi Valley. He may be hard to get a hold of as he has been having some personal troubles but he a great AK guy. Bring the rifle by and he will be able to diagnose it and/or repair it.

JeffM
09-06-2008, 1:26 PM
Sounds like the hammer spring is slipping off the rear of the trigger. You could try tweaking it yourself to remain there, or you could purchase and install a new hammer spring.

FEDUPWBS
09-06-2008, 1:27 PM
PM Sent

duenor
09-06-2008, 1:31 PM
Electric, you can bring the rifle to us in Irwindale if you'd like.
We've built many of these. Or, FEDUP is a good guy, but he's in Fresno.

Kev

JeffM
09-06-2008, 1:46 PM
If you are having hammer follow or other issues related to the trigger group, I'd recommend seeing a qualified smith to diagnose and repair the problem. Issues that could cause a slamfire are dangerous and could open you to prosecution for possession of an unregistered machine gun.

Electric Factory
09-06-2008, 2:11 PM
Call or email James Maddux and make an appointment, he is located in Simi Valley. He may be hard to get a hold of as he has been having some personal troubles but he a great AK guy. Bring the rifle by and he will be able to diagnose it and/or repair it.

Would you happen to know James Maddux email/ phone number/ website ?
I'm in Sylmar [210 at the 118] and Simi sounds like it would be the most convenient.

aplinker
09-06-2008, 2:52 PM
Would you happen to know James Maddux email/ phone number/ website ?
I'm in Sylmar [210 at the 118] and Simi sounds like it would be the most convenient.

I'll give you a hint... Mad-ox is a site sponsor ;)

Electric Factory
09-06-2008, 3:03 PM
I'll give you a hint... Mad-ox is a site sponsor ;)

Thanks, I found his website, left a message AND sent an email, hopefully I'll get a reply.
In the meantime if there's anyone else out there who can offer some hands on AK help by all means PLEASE send me a PM.

bigthaiboy
09-06-2008, 5:08 PM
-having charged the rifle from the magazine, the first round will fire but the subsequent round, once stripped from the mag will not, this because the trigger mechanism [ trigger return spring ?] will not return to firing status.
- I experienced two separate F.A.D.'s, this again I think because the trigger return spring either isn't working at all or weak.

I had the same thing happen with my Romanian WASR-22. I swapped out the Romanian trigger group (identical to AK) for a Tapco G2 Single Hook trigger group ($28), and the problem has not reoccurred since.

Electric Factory
09-06-2008, 5:18 PM
I had the same thing happen with my Romanian WASR-22. I swapped out the Romanian trigger group (identical to AK) for a Tapco G2 Single Hook trigger group ($28), and the problem has not reoccurred since.

That's exactly the news I wanted to hear, i'd be surprised if we're not talking about the same issue. I'm ready to order one RIGHT NOW, where did you get yours ? Easy/ hard to install ? Did you install yours yourself ?
My rifle is also a Romanian.

bigthaiboy
09-06-2008, 8:43 PM
Many places sell them, but Red Chevy Man on this forum, has a flat $5.00 shipping fee which works out good, since you can grab a couple of extra things while you're there: http://www.rcmgunparts.com/

Fitting them isn't hard, but there should be instructions with the Tapco G2. I personally like to put e retaining clips (from Home Depot or Lowes) back onto trigger and hammer cross pins to stop them coming loose.

Electric Factory
09-08-2008, 6:29 PM
I drove down to Enterprise Arms today as a fellow Calgunner duenor suggested they might be able to sort out my AK issue. And how.
I got there at about 11:00 am, by a few minutes before 12:00 pm my gun was fixed [! ]- properly adjusted, test fired and ready to go.
Needless to say I was astonished- at both the competency and the friendliness of Matt, Lily and crew. It was also an opportunity to check out all of the other goodies[ did somebody say FAL ?] in their by appointment only shop. All in all this was one of the most positive experiences I've ever had with a Cali merchant, congratulations- and many thanks to Matt, Kev and all at Enterprise Arms in Irwindale !:D

AJAX22
09-08-2008, 6:32 PM
I personally like to put e retaining clips (from Home Depot or Lowes) back onto trigger and hammer cross pins to stop them coming loose.

I had a few E-clips that jumped loose under heavy use, so If it is going to be your primary SHTF goto weapon you would be well advised to invest the 10 bucks in a retaining plate, its well worth it.

Matt@EntrepriseArms
09-16-2008, 4:04 PM
I drove down to Enterprise Arms today as a fellow Calgunner duenor suggested they might be able to sort out my AK issue. And how.
I got there at about 11:00 am, by a few minutes before 12:00 pm my gun was fixed [! ]- properly adjusted, test fired and ready to go.
Needless to say I was astonished- at both the competency and the friendliness of Matt, Lily and crew. It was also an opportunity to check out all of the other goodies[ did somebody say FAL ?] in their by appointment only shop. All in all this was one of the most positive experiences I've ever had with a Cali merchant, congratulations- and many thanks to Matt, Kev and all at Enterprise Arms in Irwindale !:D

Thanks Jon, it was a pleasure to meet you, and I'm glad it was an easy fix!

grammaton76
09-16-2008, 6:30 PM
I had a few E-clips that jumped loose under heavy use, so If it is going to be your primary SHTF goto weapon you would be well advised to invest the 10 bucks in a retaining plate, its well worth it.

Check out the modified shepherd's spring from ak-builder.com. I've put that in the last couple builds I've done for folks - far less aggravating than the original shepherd's crook, and much cheaper than the RSR plate at $4ish.