View Full Version : Best "parts kit" trigger?

09-05-2008, 9:30 PM
Can anyone recommend a brand name lower parts kit that has a decent trigger. I tried one at a local shop the other day that felt like dragging a logging chain through a gravel parking lot.

09-05-2008, 9:33 PM
OTOMH, the RRA I handled seemed nice enough, though perhaps my idea of "decent" is less stringent.

09-05-2008, 9:34 PM
Is this for an AR or an AK?

09-05-2008, 9:41 PM
Sorry, I'm building an AR...

09-05-2008, 9:44 PM
RRA, CMMG, maybe a few others. But those are "match trigger kits", Armalite is another.

09-05-2008, 9:53 PM
I'm not looking for a match trigger, just something "stock" that works well.

09-05-2008, 9:57 PM
I'm not looking for a match trigger, just something "stock" that works well.

In that case most all are the same to knowledge. I like Stag kits myself.:)

09-05-2008, 11:30 PM
I like my RRA a lot.

09-05-2008, 11:40 PM
This topic has been covered a lot. Any of the major vendors are fine, I prefer Armalite.

09-06-2008, 1:58 AM
I used a DPMS lower parts kit. Horrible trigger. Heavy pull weight of about 8 or 9 pounds, and felt like it was packed with kitty litter. For stock kits, I can't imagine it could get much worse. I've managed to turn it into a respectable trigger though after some polishing of the sear surfaces and modification of the springs via instructions found here:

In addition, I also removed the upper horn from the hammer to reduce mass and improve locktime. The hammer profile now closely resembles the JP Speed Hammer: http://www.speedshooter.com/images/JPSH-1.jpg

To gain some more improvement, I used a 1/4-28tpi grub screw threaded into the grip screw hole to allow adjustment of sear engagement. The trigger now has a very short and smooth pull of about 4 pounds. Even with the reduced spring tension and hammer weight, it still makes a decent dent on primers. I have yet to see one fail to fire in this rifle. Total cost of the modifications was about $.32 for the grub screw :D If the total crap DPMS trigger can be turned into a decent shooter, pretty much any other trigger should work just as well with the same mods.

09-06-2008, 7:14 AM
I'm pretty sure stock triggers are luck of the draw, one of my Rock River kits had a decent trigger while the other had what felt like a nine pounder coated in gravel. Buy a RRA 2 stage, best $100 you'll ever spend

09-06-2008, 7:16 AM
In my opinion, you will never get a "nice" stock trigger. They are all going to suck when compared to at least a national match two stage.

However, I think I have noticed the RRA triggers feel a little nicer than the Stag. The DPMS are kind of interesting as they might have a lighter pull, but they definitely have creep and almost feel like a two stage. I don't recall trying an Armalite even though I stock them.

I simply recommend you upgrade to a national match.

09-06-2008, 9:04 AM
Thanks for the help guys. I think I'll go with the RRA parts kit and adjust later if necessary.