View Full Version : M1A restrictions??

09-05-2008, 7:41 PM
Buying a scout squad rifle in mossy oak, what are the restrictions as far as attachments.. forward pistol grips.. etc..

09-05-2008, 7:50 PM
Any "evil features" will convert that legal Eagle into an AW. Flash suppressor, Forward pistol grip, pistol grip, folding or telescoping stock are all verboten (ie., BAD -- the guys here will add the ones I forgot) . In turns of customizing, this is about it:

09-05-2008, 7:51 PM
The same rules that apply to OLL's apply to M1A's. Check out the CA AW ID Flowchart.

Mssr. Eleganté
09-05-2008, 7:53 PM
Flare launchers are also forbidden on an M1A.

09-05-2008, 7:57 PM
M1A restrictions??

No more than your safe(s) can hold.

Black Majik
09-05-2008, 8:17 PM
It'll be the same idea as if you built a "featureless" OLL AR w. monster man/U-15 grips.

09-05-2008, 8:47 PM
By not falling under these classifications by features we're able to build our guns to be legally compliant and not considered an AW. This goes for any rifle.

Here's the 1st section:
12276.1. (a) Notwithstanding Section 12276,
"assault weapon" shall also mean any of the following:
(1) A semiautomatic, centerfire rifle that has the
capacity to accept a detachable magazine and any one of
the following:
(A) A pistol grip that protrudes conspicuously
beneath the action of the weapon.
(B) A thumbhole stock.
(C) A folding or telescoping stock.
(D) A grenade launcher or flare launcher.
(E) A flash suppressor.
(F) A forward pistol grip.

What this says is that, assuming the gun is not an AW by 12276 (i.e., listed by make and model) it can still be an AW if it has any features and is built adhering to the definition given.

The 1st sentence contains 3 conditions: the rifle is semi-automatic, centerfire and with a detachable magazine. The 4th condition is having any (or all) of the features listed. To build an assault weapon by features the rifle must contain all conditions from the first sentence (semi-auto, centerfire and detachable mags) along with at least one of the features listed.

This gives us 4 ways to avoid having an assault weapon, as avoiding any one of these 4 conditions prevents meeting this definition of type-3 assault weapon.

Thus, most of the guns you see here are built either:
S1.) Having no features listed above (MMG, U-15, M1A, Saiga)
S2.) Using a bullet button (or Prince50, JumboPandaLock, Raddlock, JJPerl) to lock the magazine in place, thus allowing the rifle to have those features.
S3.) Building the rifle for .22lr (notice the definition says centerfire)
S4.) A gas system that doesn't operate (bolt-action repeater instead of semi-auto)

Lastly, there are conditions that must be met for the above types of rifles:
12276.1. (a) Notwithstanding Section 12276,
"assault weapon" shall also mean any of the following:
(1) A semiautomatic..... (snip)
(2) A semiautomatic, centerfire rifle that has a
fixed magazine with the capacity to accept more than 10
(3) A semiautomatic, centerfire rifle that has an
overall length of less than 30 inches.

Now it's important to match these two additional conditions where they have relevance.

12276.1(a)-2 only applies to a fixed magazine rifle (S2 types from above - bullet button, SKS, etc) types. It requires that the magazine used only be 10rds or less. Thus, it only applies to our non-detachable magazine varieties. All other types can have any capacity available to them* (see below) Styles S1, S3 and S4 would not fall under this requirement and would be allowed to use those magazines.

12276.1(a)-3 only applies to semi-auto centerfire rifles. This includes both featureless and fixed-magazine rifles (S1 and S2 from above). That means they would need to be over 30" OAL (when measured with the stock collapsed or folded by CA court case law). Both styles of rifles that are non-semi-auto repeater (S4) or rimfire (S3) would only fall under california's definition for needing all long guns over 26" (with stock folded or collapsed).

That concludes ALL possible ways to make an assault weapon rifle (not pistol or shotgun) in California.

All of this does apply to an M1A, as you could build it up in, say, an EBR Sage Chopmod stock or VLTOR or TROY....

09-05-2008, 11:47 PM
Thanks for the refresher -- can I quote you?

09-06-2008, 2:10 AM
Thanks for the refresher -- can I quote you?

LoL... if I can quote myself, why not? :)

09-06-2008, 9:14 AM
If you decide to go for a pistol grip stock i.e., Fulton Armory, etc. a couple of people (inc. myself) have come up with a "tool required mag release" commonly referred to as a bullet button (although my design doesn't use either a bullet or a button). So if you go for the pistol grip chassis, you give up the freedom of easy mag drops, but at least you have the option.

09-07-2008, 9:58 AM
so anybody know of any gunshops near riverside tht carry them

09-07-2008, 10:06 AM
M1A std synthetic stock is what im getting next.
all legal with 10 rd mag.

Paratus et Vigilans
09-07-2008, 10:11 AM
so anybody know of any gunshops near riverside tht carry them

Cold War Shooters in Highland. Maybe not a Scout in Mossy Oak, but I have seen (and fondled) other SA M1A's there.