PDA

View Full Version : anyone hunting d14 zone?

Outlaw
09-05-2008, 10:46 AM
I'm a first time hunter and have a deer tag for d14. I also have a pig and might get a bobcat tag.
Any info on where to start looking would be greatly appreciated.
TIA.

Outlaw
09-07-2008, 9:36 PM
Bump.

lexluger
09-08-2008, 8:06 PM
D14 looks pretty good for BLM land. I am not familiar with the terrain, but I would look for shade/ cooler areas and water and hunt that area.

http://www.dfg.ca.gov/wildlife/hunting/deer/docs/maps/d14.pdf

weezil_boi
09-08-2008, 10:02 PM
deer, piggy and bobcat... sounds like fun :)

packnrat
09-09-2008, 12:39 AM
you will have a very hard time trying to get porkey if not on a paid land hunt. open land was hunted out years back...not that there are none, just not many.

and pray for some mixed weather aka rain sun maybe a little snow. deffernt all day and night long...keeps the deer moving around a bit.

good luck.

:D

Asherdan
09-10-2008, 12:44 PM
Head up to the north shore of Big Bear Lake and stop in the Discovery Center and buy the big area map. If you get the right gal at the ranger desk (ask about deer) she'll point out areas you can mark off on your map and start looking. If you jump on 3N14 heading out of Fawnskin you're going the right way to check out places like Coxey and Crab Flats. Use your map, bring good optics and wear your boots out getting off the roads. High nasty places with overgrown water are good places to start looking. You can pull deer and an occasional bobcat out of D-14, but you gotta outwork most other guys to have a chance. The Big Bear valley is a no shoot area, make sure you mark off the boundary on your map after asking or drop in a Ranger station and ask for the shoot/no shoot marked map. Never found a pig in the areas I've been through in that zone.

Good luck, remember, the more time you put in the less you're gonna need luck.

Matt@EntrepriseArms
09-10-2008, 1:22 PM
Never saw a pig in that area, but that doesn't mean they aren't there.

Ditto what Asherdan said about checking with the Discovery Center, especially since some roads are closed down right now up there.

Matt@EntrepriseArms
09-10-2008, 1:23 PM
Never saw a pig in that area, but that doesn't mean they aren't there.

Ditto what Asherdan said about checking with the Discovery Center, especially since some roads are closed down right now up there

Outlaw
09-11-2008, 9:55 AM
Thanks for the info. fellas. I will head up there this Sunday with a couple hunting partners. I let you know how it turns out.

caduckgunner
09-11-2008, 10:28 AM
I like to go weekdays. The weekend there are a lot of off roaders.

Pighunter5
11-27-2009, 10:26 AM
Went out there for deer it was great saw a lot of deer and bears
But pig I don't no were to hunt for that at Iv bin looking if anyone can help me
Plez