PDA

View Full Version : Stag 4H upper info

cleanguy46
09-05-2008, 8:06 AM
Well I'm finally looking to free float the Stag 4H upper I have and wanted to come to the experts and get some advice so it moves along smoothly. I hear that the front sight tower pins can be a pain in the a** so I need to know what side I need to drift them out. I certainly dont want to go the wrong way so I dont jam them in tighter and cause damage to the weapon. The rest of the changeover is pretty straight forward. Any info is greatly appreciated!

scubamark13
09-05-2008, 9:01 AM
Check out this link it will tell you everything you need to know.
http://www.brownells.com/aspx/NS/GunTech/NewsletterArchive.aspx?x=v&p=0&t=1&i=864&mc_ID=2014

Good Luck

cleanguy46
09-05-2008, 9:19 AM
Yea this video is similar to LaRue's on their site. What I'm concerned with is are all uppers with these sight tower pins drift out the same way or is Stags different? The video shows them being drifted from the back side of the upper receiver to the ejection side of the upper receiver and replaced in reverse order. Just trying to be cautious and not break something with many four letter words to follow! :eek:

Paratus et Vigilans
09-05-2008, 9:56 AM
Yep, they all go out the same direction.

Make sure you have everything really secure before you start pounding. "Drift" is waaaaay too weak a word for it. You have to POUND them out on most Stags. Don't use a punch you ever want to use again on anything else. Have fun! :eek:

cleanguy46
09-05-2008, 10:20 AM
Great thanks.......Looks like were good to go. I just dont hope I have to get medieval on it!

aplinker
09-05-2008, 1:49 PM
You will, and it won't hurt anything...

Just make sure everything is properly placed and supported and nothing will be damaged.

You'll be happy with your freshly free-floated upper when finished.

cleanguy46
09-05-2008, 2:29 PM
Thanks for your info. I can tell you that it will be alot better then the 2 piece forearm thats on there now in being a more solid platfom for accessories and increased accuracy.

gsxr600booya
09-06-2008, 2:05 AM
how do you like your stag 4h upper i just picked one up

gsxr600booya
09-06-2008, 2:08 AM
also what kind of scope did you put on there and did the a2 front sight get in the way? thanks in advance

cleanguy46
09-06-2008, 8:29 AM
I really like the 4H upper from Stag. It has been a consistent performer and seems to be pretty accurate. Alot of my shooting is from the bench and I take it out from time to time on varmit hunts. I am freefloating the barrel so I can enjoy increased accuracy from the bench and out in the field. So far so good until I started taking the tapered pins out of the front sight tower. I bent a Craftsman 1/8" punch and I have them half way out! :mad: I need to get a set of roll pin punches and finish up the job. If you free float your barrel you will run into this problem as well. I have a couple of scopes but the one I am using now is a Muller 8.5x25x50mm AO Eradicator. Really big eyes for the AR platform! I have yet to sight it in, but will do so this coming weekend. As far as the front sight post in the way I have it mounted with a LaRue SPR-1.5 mount and with the higher magnification dosent pose a problem. I like rifle length however I am getting close to starting a carbine length build for added fun. Have fun with your 4H and I will let you know how it shoots when I get her finished!

cleanguy46
09-11-2008, 7:16 AM
Wow.....I must say it's been an adventure to hell to get those tapered pins out of the forward sight tower. Looks like the advice I got on the pins going out from the backside of the upper to the ejection port side was wrong and I was actually driving them the wrong way! For some reason they are opposite then the norm. Stag 4H upper owners take note of this so you save your self a case of the red a** when removing your pins! I have to thank technique for his assistance in saving my sanity and the day. Now I can complete the job and get back out to the range!

P.S. I still love my Stag rifle! :D

ar15barrels
09-11-2008, 10:12 AM
Stag installs their taper pins backwards.
You always hit the small end to remove them, no matter what brand.

I made a special pusher fixture because Stags are so hard to move compared to all other brands.

http://ar15barrels.com/tech/pin-popper2.jpg

technique
09-11-2008, 10:24 AM
I have a stag upper that has pins that come out the ejection port side. I must say that Cleanguy has the only upper I have ever seen like that. Most people (and most in this thread) gave the left to right advise.

Anyway, your pins are out! No real damage to speak of. At worst we can go to OSH and get some oversized pins, push them in, mark the access. punch them out, cut them to size and re-install. should be good as new.

Also a thanks is owed to M24armorer for letting me come up. I need more tools!;)

I will be headed back up to Sac tomorrow morning. I'll drop it by when ever your ready.:)

cleanguy46
09-11-2008, 10:26 AM
Thanks Randall for chiming in.....although it a bit late.....but thanks none the less! LOL! It was definitely a learning experience I wont soon forget. Good thing is there was no damage to the weapon. It appears by technique's observation that the pins were stretched a bit. Is it possible to get some replacements to replace the damaged ones?

technique
09-11-2008, 10:28 AM
Thanks Randall for chiming in.....although it a bit late.....but thanks none the less! LOL! It was definitely a learning experience I wont soon forget. Good thing is there was no damage to the weapon. It appears by technique's observation that the pins were streached a bit. Is it possible to get some replacements to replace the damaged ones?

I can check around while I'm here. I will call a few of my buddies at the local shops.:)

cleanguy46
09-11-2008, 10:34 AM
Thanks for all your help as well as M24armorer! Tomorrow would be great and I should be home sometime late afternoon. Just give me a call when your avaliable. BTW I did purchase that RRA NM 2 stage trigger and I will be installing that as well when it arrives from Riflegear. The price was too good to pass up and thanks for the quote you got me the other day.

ar15barrels
09-11-2008, 10:41 AM
I have pins and a reamer that are one size larger.

cleanguy46
09-11-2008, 10:44 AM
So because of that little slip up I will have to ream the holes and go to a larger pin?

ar15barrels
09-11-2008, 10:55 AM
So because of that little slip up I will have to ream the holes and go to a larger pin?

Depends on how big the slip was.
You can sometimes use a longer pin and trim both ends to fit.
I get enough fubar barrels through my shop that I bought oversized pins that are the right length so I don't have to trim.
Then I just run the oversized reamer in to the right depth and it's done.
This works particularly well for putting together non-mated barrels and front sight bases as the original holes will never align correctly when the parts are mixed up.

cleanguy46
09-11-2008, 11:12 AM
You know I think I will go on techniques suggestion about getting some pins and trimming to length. He will be around tomorrow with the upper and will see if this is a good fix. Thanks for your advice! :)