PDA

View Full Version : shortening new barrel?

ThatFishGuy
09-05-2008, 1:23 AM
Hey everyone, I just ordered a Colt HBAR 20". Now i know this is a good barrel, especially for less than $300, but would I be doing more harm than good by cutting it back to 18"? Only reason i would is that I really had my heart set on that size, but couldnt pass up the deal on the longer one. Would I just be wasting my money or would performance not be sacrificed?
thanks,
-Sam

- oh and if it makes any difference it will be installed with a vtac freefloat handguard (which I also just ordered ;) )

jumbopanda
09-05-2008, 1:54 AM
I don't think you should do it. The cost and hassle would not be worth the 2" difference IMO. If you REALLY want a 18" maybe you can sell this one or find someone to trade with.

aplinker
09-05-2008, 2:19 AM
Is it a chrome-moly/chrome lined barrel or stainless?

If it's stainless, go for it... I'd be less thrilled about cutting a chrome lined barrel.

ThatFishGuy
09-05-2008, 2:27 AM
ya its chrome lined not stainless. I probably wont make a decision until after I shoot it a little bit, but just getting some other opinions.

Sydwaiz
09-05-2008, 7:21 AM
If done properly, it won't harm anything. But you won't gain anything either. Keep it as is and get another. Variety is the spice of life!

ThatFishGuy
09-05-2008, 11:18 AM
hmmm....that is a good point Sydwaiz. Honestly though, funds are pretty tight on this build and im going to be bone dry once complete. i dont have enough money for nice optics let alone spare bbls. im just hoping I can buy a couple lowers before years end. they wont be built for at leas another year knowing my budget, but i just want to have some in case of any new bans come feb.
thanks,
-Sam

edit: after rereading what i just said i should probably just leave the barrel alone and use that money for my BUIS. think that would cover at least one of them.

technique
09-05-2008, 11:31 AM
I did exactly what you are wanting. I cut my Colt Hbar CL 20'' down just under 18'' and I'm very happy with it. Some people don't have the right tools for that job though so just make sure who ever you take it to can do it properly. I dropped mine off and picked it up the very next day.

ThatFishGuy
09-05-2008, 11:34 AM
if you dont mind, can i ask where you took it?

technique
09-05-2008, 11:41 AM
if you dont mind, can i ask where you took it?

M24armorer here on CG. He's located in Los Gatos. But picks up from local gun stores.

ThatFishGuy
09-05-2008, 12:25 PM
wow thats convenient. I go to school in Davis and am moving back up in a couple weeks. I might have to shoot him a PM. I dont need to know exact prices, but was it relatively inexpensive?

technique
09-05-2008, 12:39 PM
I'm not sure exactly, but I took in a lot of drop offs for him while working at the exchange. Most people have the cut and welds done, and that if I remember correctly was under $40 and you don't even need a weld so I would imagine it would be even cheaper.

ThatFishGuy
09-05-2008, 1:59 PM
ya i was looking at the WOA barrels before. i got the colt for $285, whats $2o bucks ya know? cutting the barrel, for me, wasnt so much for weight so thinning under the guards wouldnt do much. it was more of an aesthetic thing.

aplinker
09-05-2008, 2:11 PM
M24armorer would do a job you'd be good to go with.

Ar15barrels in SoCal could also do it, if you're down here.

ThatFishGuy
09-05-2008, 4:05 PM
well, im in socal at the moment. I live here with my family when im not in school. But I am moving next week back to Davis, so i'd rather do something local if possible. And it sounds like M24armorer can do just that. Thanks
-Sam

cal3gunner
09-05-2008, 6:08 PM
Rob Melhorne in Northridge can do it and he does great work. I have a chrome lined fluted Bushmaster that was 20 and cut down to 18 by him. It looks great and shoots awesome.

ar15barrels
09-05-2008, 11:53 PM
If it's stainless, go for it... I'd be less thrilled about cutting a chrome lined barrel.

Why? :confused:

ar15barrels
09-05-2008, 11:55 PM
Honestly though, funds are pretty tight on this build and im going to be bone dry once complete. i dont have enough money for nice optics let alone spare bbls.

It's $45 to shorten, thread, crown and resize the gas port on a barrel if you do the tear-down and re-assembly of the upper.

ThatFishGuy
09-06-2008, 12:04 AM
ya i didnt know it was so inexpensive when i said that. the first few responses made it seem like it was a big hassle that needed lots of money. for that little im almost sure I'll do it. just deciding on whether to send it to you down here or M24armorer up there ;)

aplinker
09-06-2008, 2:48 AM
Just go by Randall's one evening - he'll do it while you wait.

Why? :confused:

Just because you lose the factory park.

I've seen chrome chipped at the muzzle by someone who didn't cut it properly, but that's not an issue if done right.

ThatFishGuy
09-06-2008, 11:27 AM
I would, but the barrel was shipped to my new Apt address up in Davis. so it just depends on when i have all the parts to complete the rifle. If i dont finish until around thankgiving; then Im going to Randall. if i finish sooner then i'll get a hold of M24armorer up there.