PDA

View Full Version : PS90?

devildog999
09-04-2008, 10:03 PM
I have seen in several threads people talking about it being legal to buy a PS90 as long as you keep it dissembled. Does that mean that you can't even fire the darn thing. If you can't, what is the point of even owning one? I love the weapon and would love to buy one, but I couldn't own one and not be able to legally fire it :(

69Mach1
09-04-2008, 10:04 PM
There is a magazine lock available for it. Plus FN makes 10 round magazines. SAL did a great job creating the mag lock. So you can take it out and shoot it. It also has to have a stock extender or muzzle brake added to make it longer than 30 inches.

devildog999
09-04-2008, 10:12 PM
I see. Why do we see a lot of people saying it has to be disassembled? I would love to buy one but it has to be "legal" as I am joining the Palo Alto PD.

PolishMike
09-04-2008, 10:14 PM
I see. Why do we see a lot of people saying it has to be disassembled? I would love to buy one but it has to be "legal" as I am joining the Palo Alto PD.

Disassembled to get into the state. Plus FFL's are reluctant to DROS the entire thing for their own reasons.

After you get it, YOU are responsible for assembling it legally.

PIRATE14
09-04-2008, 10:14 PM

We are waiting for our nxt batch of CALI PS90 KITS to show any day.......for some reason it alwasy takes longer for these to arrive.....

But we have the PS 90s on hand every day............;)

devildog999
09-04-2008, 10:45 PM
So let me get this right???

It has to be disassembled when shipped (makes sense) and you can buy it as long as you have a BB installed?

aplinker
09-05-2008, 1:36 AM
So let me get this right???

It has to be disassembled when shipped (makes sense) and you can buy it as long as you have a BB installed?

It has to be in a legal configuration at all times. This includes disassembled or with a BB/30" extender.

The easiest is disassembled, so it's most often shipped/DROS'ed this way.

However, to be used, it would need a mag lock and to be 30" OAL.

Some places will do the mag lock and OAL extension once it's in their hands and before DROS, but these aren't common for the majority of shops.

devildog999
09-05-2008, 12:18 PM
I see, thanks

Spiggy
09-05-2008, 1:45 PM
actually, sal's magic thingamajiggy doesn't require a tool since it's fully locked in

-assembly is easy, no worries about it, you'll have to learn disassembly to load with the lock on anyways

aplinker
09-05-2008, 2:21 PM
I guess you're intimately acquainted with "Sal's magic thingamajiggy." :TFH:

:p

If it's not a BB he needs to go back to the drawing board. :D

actually, sal's magic thingamajiggy doesn't require a tool since it's fully locked in

-assembly is easy, no worries about it, you'll have to learn disassembly to load with the lock on anyways

Spiggy
09-05-2008, 2:24 PM
eh, he built the prototype on my shop floor :D

aplinker
09-05-2008, 2:51 PM
eh, he built the prototype on my shop floor :D

You're working there with him or somewhere else? (/threadjack)

trinydex
11-18-2008, 4:56 PM
is the ps90's front grip considered a vfg?

grammaton76
11-18-2008, 5:03 PM
is the ps90's front grip considered a vfg?

It's close enough that it should be regarded as one.

And just heading off where you're probably going (featureless): the front device IS A FLASH HIDER. Period. The OWNER'S MANUAL calls it a flash hider - I don't care what all the internet reviews call it. I'm going to scan the owner's manual for it when I find mine, which the BOF has stated is one of the primary sources for flash hider identification.

I scanned in my FS2000's manual where it referenced the flash hider, but I need to get around to finding the PS90's.

trinydex
11-18-2008, 5:20 PM
well don't you need to add something on the muzzle to make it legal length anyway? plus a butt pad too probably? i'm just wondering. because it'd be easy to fill that "thumb hole"

but if the front grip is considered a vfg then it's all moot.

grammaton76
11-18-2008, 5:27 PM
well don't you need to add something on the muzzle to make it legal length anyway?

You do, but just because a flash hider is covered, it doesn't stop being a flash hider. There's other issues with the diameter of the FH on it too - even if you wrapped it up in a tube, it'd serve more as a conical FH than the original factory device did.

plus a butt pad too probably? i'm just wondering. because it'd be easy to fill that "thumb hole"

but if the front grip is considered a vfg then it's all moot.

You could go that route with the back, but in the opinions of a bunch of folks I've talked to, it totally destroys the rifle's ergonomics when you extend the rear. Length of pull shifts, etc.

Extending the front is the only real way to go on the PS90's.

As for the front grip... like I've said, it's close enough that it should be regarded as one for legal safety's sake.

devildog999
11-18-2008, 8:17 PM
Wow, I almost forgot I even made this thread. Talk about back from the dead

dchang0
11-19-2008, 12:26 PM
For instructions and photos on how to make your PS90 Calif-legal (using a credit-card-swipe-type magazine lock, which is different than Sal's kit because Sal's makes the magazine too fat to remove from the mag well--the credit-card-swipe-type lock actually allows you to change mags) go see:

http://www.fnforum.net/viewtopic.php?t=10560

Parking passes are great for operating the catch, because credit-card plastic is a bit brittle.

grammaton76
11-19-2008, 4:30 PM
For instructions and photos on how to make your PS90 Calif-legal (using a credit-card-swipe-type magazine lock, which is different than Sal's kit because Sal's makes the magazine too fat to remove from the mag well--the credit-card-swipe-type lock actually allows you to change mags) go see:

http://www.fnforum.net/viewtopic.php?t=10560

Parking passes are great for operating the catch, because credit-card plastic is a bit brittle.

Works pretty reasonably. Given that you mentioned SHTF in the bottom of your post though... hopefully you've got a spare catch lying around for SHTF. With the Sal design, I like being only two removed screws away from a totally normal mag release system.

dchang0
11-19-2008, 4:38 PM
Yes, I absolutely do have a spare magazine catch lying around--they are so cheap ($2.50 ea.) that we could probably have two or three spares, LOL! And luckily they are simple to install, though all the screws in the stock must be removed to do so. With the mag-lock's grips cut off, there is no other way to return the gun to its factory original state once you cross the border from prison--oops, I mean, California--into Nevada or Arizona.