PDA

View Full Version : My new cleaning supplies!

rtlltj
09-04-2008, 8:58 PM
I think I seriously spent a week reading every AR cleaning thread there was on this site and put together a nice cleaning set for my 1st AR. The quality of Dewey stuff is impressive. Serious thanks to all the people I've bugged through pm's. When my upper comes in I'll definately have to give a range report and pics of the rifle as well. Btw that rod is 36 inches long so its sorta hard to fit it in the pic :P

http://i87.photobucket.com/albums/k138/rtlltj/IMG_0404.jpg

devildog999
09-04-2008, 9:01 PM
Very nice, however in my honest opinion, I don't understand why you went through such straights to pick some supplies. When in the Marines, I bought several different kits and all did well.

rtlltj
09-04-2008, 9:06 PM
Lets just say I like to be very thorough lol.

devildog999
09-04-2008, 9:11 PM
Fair enough my friend, fair enough ;)

Mississippi
09-04-2008, 9:47 PM
Nice kit. I use OTIS and love their field cleaning kits. My gear doesnt have a place for a 3 foot long cleaning rod. But that would be great from range or home cleaning. Congrats on an awesome kit.

ghost
09-04-2008, 9:52 PM
all you need now is solvents and lube.

ocabj
09-04-2008, 9:59 PM
Very nice, however in my honest opinion, I don't understand why you went through such straights to pick some supplies. When in the Marines, I bought several different kits and all did well.

I've heard lots of people cite their military background as how they learned how to clean, and honestly, it's painful to watch some of them clean. Metal segmented rods, cleaning from the muzzle end, and using stainless steel brushes, and just spraying CLP all over the thing and calling it clean.

That, or just running a Bore Snake through the barrel 2 or 3 times and calling it clean.

Not to say that all military personnel don't know how to clean a rifle safely. But most of the military personnel I've met that actually clean properly are High Power shooters.

all you need now is solvents and lube.
You can't go wrong with Butch's Bore Shine or Montana Xtreme. I'm currently using Montana Xtreme solvent, Montana Xtreme '50BMG' copper solvent, and Montana Xtreme Bore Conditioner (oil) for barrel care.

savasyn
09-04-2008, 10:01 PM
Please excuse my ignorance, but what is the black rod at the bottom of the picture used for?

ocabj
09-04-2008, 10:05 PM
Please excuse my ignorance, but what is the black rod at the bottom of the picture used for?

It's a bore guide that fits in the chamber/receiver end.

I use the Sinclair version myself:
http://www.ocabj.net/gallery2/d/5356-2/IMG_5156.jpg

But I also have a brand new Lucas bore guide for the AR-15 in the garage.

Gunsrruss
09-04-2008, 10:12 PM
Jon, did you make that stand yourself?? If not where did you get it ???

savasyn
09-04-2008, 10:12 PM
Ah ha! I have only seen the white plastic ones like you've pictured, never one like the black one in the OP.

Thanks!

ocabj
09-04-2008, 10:20 PM
Jon, did you make that stand yourself?? If not where did you get it ???

No, I bought that cradle from Sinclair Intl several years ago. I don't see why you couldn't make one yourself, though, given the materials and tooling. The design is simple enough.

The one I have was purchased for use with BR style fat forend rifles. So my AR does move laterally somewhat. But the Sinclair cradle comes in various heights and widths.

Gunsrruss
09-04-2008, 10:23 PM
No, I bought that cradle from Sinclair Intl several years ago. I don't see why you couldn't make one yourself, though, given the materials and tooling. The design is simple enough.

The one I have was purchased for use with BR style fat forend rifles. So my AR does move laterally somewhat. But the Sinclair cradle comes in various heights and widths.

I will bring them up, Thanks, Russell

09-04-2008, 11:18 PM
Nice kit. I use OTIS and love their field cleaning kits. My gear doesnt have a place for a 3 foot long cleaning rod. But that would be great from range or home cleaning. Congrats on an awesome kit.

I have a couple of Dewey rods myself, but I hardly ever use them. I find myself using the Otis kits.

AdamM
09-04-2008, 11:20 PM
very nice

aplinker
09-05-2008, 1:16 AM
cleaning?

I subscribe to the "hair of the dog" method. :)

devildog999
09-05-2008, 11:14 AM
I've heard lots of people cite their military background as how they learned how to clean, and honestly, it's painful to watch some of them clean. Metal segmented rods, cleaning from the muzzle end, and using stainless steel brushes, and just spraying CLP all over the thing and calling it clean.

That, or just running a Bore Snake through the barrel 2 or 3 times and calling it clean.

Not to say that all military personnel don't know how to clean a rifle safely. But most of the military personnel I've met that actually clean properly are High Power shooters.

You can't go wrong with Butch's Bore Shine or Montana Xtreme. I'm currently using Montana Xtreme solvent, Montana Xtreme '50BMG' copper solvent, and Montana Xtreme Bore Conditioner (oil) for barrel care.

Fair enough, though I do indeed know how to clean my weapon ;) I can't say though that I have seen anyone clean from the muzzle end or do any of the things you cited. When I was in, we had to have our clean weapons inspected after a cleaning day so that they were verified as throughly clean, and they didn't just look down the barrel. Though I don't doubt you have seen some do a crabby job of cleaning ;)

1911su16b870
09-05-2008, 2:53 PM
Butch's Bore Shine and the Otis bore CLP are very good products.

IMO every home kit needs those plus Simple Green (pleasant to use and an excellent cleaner/degreaser) and Breakfree CLP.

LewDog
09-05-2008, 3:15 PM
+1 on the Otis kit. I have used a few other cleaning kits on various other firearms and I've taken quite a liking to the Otis. Now I cant stand to think about using a rod for cleaning. Just makes more sense to clean from breech to muzzle as you do with the Otis.

Sorry, just followed everyone else going off topic there. To get back on topic: Grats on the purchase and definitely be sure to post some pics when you finish off the rifle! Hope it all works well for you. If you're happy with your purchase that's really all that matters!

thedrickel
09-05-2008, 3:29 PM
AK cleaning supplies:

http://www.ammoman.com/images2/762X39-MC2.jpg

rkt88edmo
09-05-2008, 4:30 PM
i have the otis elite kit.the only problem i have is how they expect you to clean the chamber with their kit.i've thought about getting a dewey.i've tried the proshot chamber tool and didn't like it.

I'm pretty sure the otis buttstock kit comes with a metal rod that you can thread the chamber brush into, may not be in other kits, in any case all you would need to do is order that part or get one made for you.

The other M16 lineage kits that come in the round softpacks don't have this same rod as the buttstock kit.

BigBamBoo
09-05-2008, 4:42 PM

CrazyJeep
09-05-2008, 5:13 PM
IMO every home kit needs those plus Simple Green (pleasant to use and an excellent cleaner/degreaser)...

I'm not sure about the Simple Green. Yes it's a good cleaner/degreaser, but I sure wouldn't let that stuff touch my firearms.

Check these out:
http://www.chinook-helicopter.com/maintenance/issues/cleaners/cleaners.html
http://forums.bimmerforums.com/forum/archive/index.php/t-479578.html

NRAhighpowershooter
09-05-2008, 6:51 PM
me myself..The only liquids I use are Kroil for cleaning and Sweets every 1K to 1.5K for copper... and ofcourse CLP...............