PDA

View Full Version : uppers in stock/ questions

xxdabroxx
09-04-2008, 8:12 PM
Ok guys, i have been doing my homework on the topic of ar's for quite a while now, and my dad and i are going to 2nd amendment on saturday morning to pick up two double star stripped lowers. we have one parts kit already and will be assembling it into a 16" barrel w/ carry handle rifle. now my question is who has rra uppers in stock if anyone? also, who else makes a darn good upper for the price. main thing is that it is a mid length with carry handle and 16" barrel.

p.s.: thanks for the wealth of information that this site has given me, i never would have been able to assemble a california legal oll without the help of everyone here. cant wait to get an upper and break in the barrel.

-Dave

shark92651
09-04-2008, 8:15 PM
We have CMMG midlength 16" uppers in stock. Check out our website and give us a call.

TonyM
09-04-2008, 8:19 PM
+1 on CMMG. I got one of their 16" middy uppers from Aimsurplus for $499 shipped and it's a good shooter. IMO, get a CMMG/other with a 1:7 barrel and not one of the RRA 1:9's for the best options.

xxdabroxx
09-04-2008, 8:23 PM
why do you recommend the cmmg over the rra?

TonyM
09-05-2008, 6:39 AM
In most cases, the RRA uppers are 1:9 twist and to get a chrome lined one costs more ($40).

The CMMG uppers are usually 1:7 twist, and come with a chrome lined barrel by default. Also, CMMG barrels are Parkeriized under the front sight base, so if you decide to remove it and use a low profile gas block, or a flip up sight base you won't have bare metal showing. I don't believe the RRA uppers are parked under the sight base.

To me the RRA uppers are more of a "commercial" item, where the CMMG is more of a MILSPEC upper.

jandmtv
09-05-2008, 6:47 AM
+10000 for CMMG.

xxdabroxx
09-05-2008, 12:09 PM
i always get this backwards, a lower twist rate e.g.: 1:9 is better for lighter rounds and a higher twist rate of 1:7 is better for heaver rounds?

BONECUTTER
09-05-2008, 12:10 PM
i always get this backwards, a lower twist rate e.g.: 1:9 is better for lighter rounds and a higher twist rate of 1:7 is better for heaver rounds?

In a nutshell....yup

Think of it like throwing a football 1:7 (1 turn per 7 inches)= faster spin better for a heavy pig skin ball (77gr).
1:9 works for the average ball (55gr)
1:12 would be if your throwing a nerf football (40gr)....and 1:7 on a nerfball might cause instability in it similar to a 1:12 would cause with the heavy version.

Its all about finding the right arm for the ball if you get my drift.

Right now the military is using 1:7 because they need to stablize a 80gr tracer round.
Back in the day they started out as a 1:14 (hence the tumbling bullet AR stuff you have probably heard) and the bullets were not stable.

tenpercentfirearms
09-06-2008, 8:33 AM
Ok guys, i have been doing my homework on the topic of ar's for quite a while now, and my dad and i are going to 2nd amendment on saturday morning to pick up two double star stripped lowers. we have one parts kit already and will be assembling it into a 16" barrel w/ carry handle rifle. now my question is who has rra uppers in stock if anyone? also, who else makes a darn good upper for the price. main thing is that it is a mid length with carry handle and 16" barrel.

p.s.: thanks for the wealth of information that this site has given me, i never would have been able to assemble a california legal oll without the help of everyone here. cant wait to get an upper and break in the barrel.

-Dave

Why are you going to Second Amendment when you are only 35 minutes away from one of the largest AR-15 stocking dealer in the entire state?

www.tenpercentfirearms.com

Here is what your $130 or $140 lower from Second Amendment will get you (I forget their price).

A lower.

That is it.

Also note that their Stag LPKs are $75 and all of their Stag uppers are $15 more than mine.

My lowers are $150, but that also includes any gunsmithing service you might require. So if you want me to put it together for you, no charge.

More importantly, guess what I have in stock for you to touch, hold, look at, and compare? RRA uppers.

Why mail order when guys drive two to three hours just to see what we have and you are only 35 minutes away?

Fjold
09-06-2008, 9:01 AM
Why go to 2nd Amendment at all?

Even if they were cheaper on everything I wouldn't go to those used car salesmen.

aplinker
09-06-2008, 2:14 PM
1/9 is only a big deal if you shoot a lot of 77gr or M856.

Mid-length is great, though...

With Wes close to you, go there for sure.

Riflegear is fantastic, too.

RaceDay
09-06-2008, 2:16 PM
+1 on going to Ten Percent and supporting a forum sponsor.

Xerxes
09-06-2008, 6:03 PM
Just buy from CMMG directly by Internet.

They currently are the right guy doing all the right things at the right price.

They have
-1/7
-Chrome lined barrel standard
-Option of full auto bolt carrier which is the latest fad (no that is not illegal as even Colt is selling semi's with this.
-Proper mil-spec type metallurgy on upper and barrel
-Proper finish
-M4 ramps as standard
-Staked gas key that does not come loose
-High reliability marks (like no cracked bolts like DPMS)
-As mentioned fully parkerized barrel
-Great C.S.
-Great reviews from everyone
http://forums.officer.com/showthread.php?t=81462

Here is a comparison I stole from another thread
http://www.jesseshunting.com/photopost/data/500/medium/071120-AR-Comparison-Chart.jpg

It is nice to support your local dealer, especially if you are looking for that special service and personnel touch.

It is also helpful in building up a rapport with an FFL so as to make it easier to do PPT and out of state purchases without getting the cold shoulder instead.

But a lot of shops these days are run by rude and obnoxious folks (just read all the threads complaining about a gun shop they just visited, did a transfer at, made a purchase at).

Go to CMMG directly and call them to work up a price for a build. You should save considerably over full retail.
http://cmmginc.secure-mall.com/shop/?shop=1&cat=1&

Unless you see this as a growing hobby for yourself where having friendly terms with a local FFL will help you over the long run I would just save my money and buy directly.

aplinker
09-06-2008, 6:09 PM
That graphic is overused and some of it isn't up to date.

CMMG is a good choice. There are shops here who do support us and do sell for less than "full retail." You also gain their expertise and help with your questions/needs. It's pretty easy to figure out who's helpful and not.

The online retailers who support this site (riflegear, evil-black-rifles, DD's, many MANY others) often come in less than others, but many people overlook it. So "saving money" isn't really something you give up.

Give your business to the people who support us, or we may no longer have people that do.

They currently are the right guy doing all the right things at the right price.

They have
-1/7
-Chrome lined barrel standard
-Option of full auto bolt carrier which is the latest fad (no that is not illegal as even Colt is selling semi's with this.
-Proper mil-spec type metallurgy on upper and barrel
-Proper finish
-M4 ramps as standard
-Staked gas key that does not come loose
-High reliability marks (like no cracked bolts like DPMS)
-As mentioned fully parkerized barrel
-Great C.S.
-Great reviews from everyone
http://forums.officer.com/showthread.php?t=81462

Here is a comparison I stole from another thread
http://www.jesseshunting.com/photopost/data/500/medium/071120-AR-Comparison-Chart.jpg

It is nice to support your local dealer, especially if you are looking for that special service and personnel touch.

It is also helpful in building up a rapport with an FFL so as to make it easier to do PPT and out of state purchases without getting the cold shoulder instead.

But most shops these days are run by rude and obnoxious folks (just read all the threads complaining about a gun shop they just visited, did a transfer at, made a purchase at).

Go to CMMG directly and call them to work up a price for a build. You should save considerably over full retail.
http://cmmginc.secure-mall.com/shop/?shop=1&cat=1&

Unless you see this as a growing hobby for yourself where having friendly terms with a local FFL will help you over the long run I would just save my money and buy directly.

TonyM
09-06-2008, 6:10 PM

Only problem with that is, in the last year I placed an order with them to get no real response as to when the upper would ship, then when I contacted them they told me it could be 6 months.

I'm not sure if they're still in this inventory/order position today, but if they are, I think it's better to buy it from a dealer that has done the waiting for you and has the upper in stock today (which AIM, the link I posted above no longer does).

elSquid
09-06-2008, 6:27 PM
Only problem with that is, in the last year I placed an order with them to get no real response as to when the upper would ship, then when I contacted them they told me it could be 6 months.

I'm not sure if they're still in this inventory/order position today, but if they are, I think it's better to buy it from a dealer that has done the waiting for you and has the upper in stock today (which AIM, the link I posted above no longer does).

Yeah. Endless waiting for uppers is a pain. I've had to do that a couple of times before and I wasn't very happy about the experience. It's not worth it to save a couple of bucks - and that makes the assumption that at the end of the process you do manage to save money, which may not be the case.

If the OP is a 1/2 hour from 10%, to me that would seem to be an easy choice. Drive over, check out the various components in person, and get exactly what you want with as little hassle as possible.

-- Michael

Xerxes
09-06-2008, 11:54 PM

Thats the problem when you do good work.....you become popular then you get bum rushed....

Then you can't keep up and you hire mediocore help and your reputation goes to sheot.

I have bought 3 CMMG's uppers before they became popular and one after.

I can see them going the way of DPMS and bushmaster and RRA and others as popularity translates to compromise and lowering of standards.

It happens to all businesses and is called growing pains.

I am hoping CMMG can keep up with growth but who knows.

I am very satsified with the uppers I have from them as they do everything right just like the over quoted chart.

Looks like they are continuing to do so but now have a long delivery time according to the above posts, but not unexpected when you are getting BUM RUSHED.

That should probably be added to the chart as well as that might carry more weight with folks in which case Bushmaster seems to do well in that regards.

....and Oh, U-Clap-Linker, can you update that overused chart and have it done by Friday so we can all be enlightened? Or maybe you can offer something more up to date to offer?

xxdabroxx
09-08-2008, 11:11 AM
We looked into 10% however, they didnt have any lowers in stock that appealed to us at the time. just so you all know, we supported 2nd am. no more than necessary, bullet button and one 10rd mag to stick in the mag well.

back OT. 1:7 twist is good for what range of bullet weight and 1:9 is good for what bullet weight range?

aplinker
09-08-2008, 11:50 AM
http://ammo.ar15.com/ammo/project/perf_whattwist.html