PDA

View Full Version : Weatherby Vanguard Synthetic....

rorschach
09-04-2008, 2:59 PM
...on sale at Turners for $399.00. 7 Calibers available from .223 to .300 Weatherby Mag.

Turners sucks, but I have always wanted a Weatherby in either .270Wby or .300Wby.

What sayeth the mob??

hybridatsun350
09-04-2008, 3:49 PM
I've got one in .22-250 and I really like how it shoots. It's a great rifle, but I can't speak for the cartridges you mentioned.

aplinker
09-04-2008, 4:10 PM
They're really Weatherbys in name, only...

They're made by Howa.

Good shooters.

X-NewYawker
09-04-2008, 4:10 PM
As an Italian Citizen I take offense to the "mob" reference but here goes:

I've shot MANY Weatherbys (even in the FIELD!) and the 300 in a light synthetic stock will kick the beans out of you unless it has the muzzle brake.
http://i125.photobucket.com/albums/p54/Fasanoland/bigAmmo.jpg
the 300 is the way to go since with the various loads it is the most versatile caliber as well as having the most resale since it is "the" Weatherby caliber.
http://i125.photobucket.com/albums/p54/Fasanoland/500460.jpg
Just make sure it has the muzzle brake or is at least THREADED for it so you can get one from Weatherby later.

rorschach
09-05-2008, 2:54 PM
They're really Weatherbys in name, only...

They're made by Howa.

Good shooters.

Aren't the current Weatherbys made by Smith & Wesson?

Julians4x4
09-05-2008, 3:00 PM
Aren't the current Weatherbys made by Smith & Wesson?

I thought Howa made the Vanguard for Weatherby or vise versa?

aplinker
09-05-2008, 7:56 PM
Unless something has changed in the last year I believe they're made by Howa for Weatherby.

Vigilante
09-08-2008, 6:30 PM
Unless something has changed in the last year I believe they're made by Howa for Weatherby.

Nothing has changed. Howa still makes the Vanguard and I am 100% sure. Smith and Wesson never made Weatherby rifles or shotguns that I am aware of, but Howa did make rifles for S&W and that may be what you are thinking of.

Back to the question at hand. I totally agree with X-NewYawker when he says that the .300 will kick badly with a light gun and a light synthetic stock. However, the .270 does not kick nearly as bad and is in fact pretty tolerable, but there is not as good of a selection of factory loads. I've shot just about every Weatherby caliber (the exceptions being .220 rocket, .224, and .375), and I have to say that the .300 is one of my least favorite calibers due to recoil. If you get an accu-brake installed then it wouldn't be half bad, but they aren't cheap. It's a great hunting cartridge w/ great ballistics though. The Vanguard is a great rifle and I will always recommend it to people. I say it's a hard deal to beat.