PDA

View Full Version : Keltec in 308?

edittman1
09-04-2008, 2:08 PM
Anyone know if these are planned or out already?

I heard rumors. I'd really like to get one if so. :)

Seems like it'd be the obvious category for them to enter. They would make a small fortune for sure!

jandmtv
09-04-2008, 2:10 PM
Why in the hell would you waste money on a Keltec if you could get a .308 Saiga?

moulton
09-04-2008, 2:16 PM
http://www.kel-tec-cnc.com/images/downloads/RFB_Flyer_SHOT_2007_web.pdf

Hamster16
09-04-2008, 2:17 PM
i havent heard anything on the kel tec forums but they might be looking into making the su16 in different calibers. i took this from the survey on the web site. http://www.kel-tec-cnc.com/survey/?survey=2
* 12) What other caliber would you most like to see the SU-16 series available in?
o 5.45x39mm (Super Cheap!)
o 6.8 SPC (More Powerful)
o 6.5 Grendel (Long range accurate)
o 7.62x39 (Why the heck not?)
o .30 Carbine (Shoot it on a Pistol Range!)
o 7.92x33 Kurz (Wouldn’t that be cool?)

* 13) What pistol or rimfire calibers would you like to see the SU series available in?
o .17 HM2 (fairly cheap and accurate rimfire)
o None of these calibers interest me in an SU or PLR
o Some other caliber not listed interests me
o .22 WMR (more power rimfire)
o .17 HMR (long range rimfire)
o 5mm Rem Mag (recently re-released rimfire)
o 9mm Luger (Super Cheap!)
o .40 S&W (more power)
o .357 Sig (more power)
o 10mm (more power)
o .45 ACP (Bigger can be better)

edittman1
09-04-2008, 2:33 PM
Wow, that RFB looks interesting. Wonder what the price tag will be?

bobfried
09-04-2008, 3:15 PM
Wow, that RFB looks interesting. Wonder what the price tag will be?

Well the rep at the SHOT show was saying they are aiming for the $1,500 mark, right around the price of a comparable AR-10 or FAL which will be it's main competitors. You can throw in the M1A but it's really not in the same league when it comes to modernized MBR.

It's pretty cool since it takes FAL mags and has that almost lazy front ejecting method, only problem for me was that it was heavier than my Para FAL and extremely butt heavy which is terrible for handling. There were some talk of reducing the rear weight by using more plastic at the rear but there's only so much you can take out of a .308 receiver that's at the rear of a weapon. And 20 rounds of .308 isn't exactly light either and there's nothing they can do to lighten that portion.

jacques
09-04-2008, 4:45 PM
Everybody I have known who has a Keltec has had major problems with them. You get a brand new rifle that does not work.

I was up at an Appleseed last weekend, a guy had his brand new SU16. It would not extract!!!! I brought my spare AR clone the next day for him to use since he already had all the .223 ammo.

He was pretty pissed at the Keltec. My sons SU16, brand new, was double firing, had to be sent back. I still do not trust that rifle. I am afraid it is going to blow up in my face. He still is plagued with FTF's and ALL that.

My son is also very disappointed.

technique
09-04-2008, 4:47 PM
:eek: Keltec in .308....I wouldn't feel safe sitting next to anyone shooting one of those at the range let alone shooting one myself

JHC
09-04-2008, 4:50 PM
After having the back of my SU-16 blow apart next to my face there is no way I'd shoot a .308 KT unless it was clamped to a bench and I had a long string.

technique
09-04-2008, 4:55 PM
After having the back of my SU-16 blow apart next to my face there is no way I'd shoot a .308 KT unless it was clamped to a bench and I had a long string.

:useless:

dfletcher
09-04-2008, 5:30 PM
You mean this thing?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Smr9aeUoRQM

technique
09-04-2008, 5:36 PM
do you see the way the shells eject? they eject through some kind of tube and it sometimes takes the last one to push out the previous one. Weird

moulton
09-04-2008, 5:43 PM
do you see the way the shells eject? they eject through some kind of tube and it sometimes takes the last one to push out the previous one. Weird
looks like a rat pooping

JHC
09-04-2008, 5:55 PM
:useless:

http://i48.photobucket.com/albums/f242/crash76/1112061332a.jpg

Hamster16
09-04-2008, 6:17 PM
holly crap what happened. that looks really bad especially because i just bought an su16ca.

mattman
09-04-2008, 6:26 PM
Oh look that happened to you too... I would like the su-16 better if they made this thing out of metal.

Iknownot
09-04-2008, 6:36 PM
Having the back of the receiver crack because your piston rod is loose and the bolt carrier is smacking the back of the receiver is hardly having the rifle "blow up" next to your face.

I'm not defending K-T on the quality control, because I have stated it has issues, but embellishing the story really doesn't help people make informed decisions on whether or not to buy the rifle.

technique
09-04-2008, 6:42 PM
someone please dig up the pics of the completely KB'd Kel Tec. I searched but couldn't find it! It was ugly though.

sonicbuff
09-04-2008, 6:49 PM
:eek: Keltec in .308....I wouldn't feel safe sitting next to anyone shooting one of those at the range let alone shooting one myself

I'd buy insurance for your shoulder if you shoot a KT in 308.

I'm a KT owner, but I can't help it. :p

JHC
09-04-2008, 7:46 PM
Having the back of the receiver crack because your piston rod is loose and the bolt carrier is smacking the back of the receiver is hardly having the rifle "blow up" next to your face.

I'm not defending K-T on the quality control, because I have stated it has issues, but embellishing the story really doesn't help people make informed decisions on whether or not to buy the rifle.

The piston rod wasn't loose, it was still staked tight. KT put a new receiver on it for free and quickly which was great but they blamed it on my using cheep steel cased ammo that was possibly overcharged, which wasn't the case since I was using brass cased Federal American Eagle.

About embellishment, having the back of your receiver break out with the carrier following it while your face is resting in it's path is not as much fun as it sounds but I may just be too timid. I don't chime in very often with my opinion of whether someone should by a KT since incidents like mine seem to be isolated, but this thread about a .308 rifle made by these guys stirred me to post.

SJgunguy24
09-04-2008, 10:05 PM
A guy at work was going Ape-***t about his su16/keltec, so I started checking them out. They feel like toys,my gamo has more metal and quite a bit less pressure to deal with. I like my Saiga, all steel,proven platform and reliable as a sundial.

Iknownot
09-05-2008, 12:11 AM
About embellishment, having the back of your receiver break out with the carrier following it while your face is resting in it's path is not as much fun as it sounds but I may just be too timid. I don't chime in very often with my opinion of whether someone should by a KT since incidents like mine seem to be isolated, but this thread about a .308 rifle made by these guys stirred me to post.

Fair enough. I wouldn't want a .308 in the SU platform. It's too light. The RFB looks interesting. It seems to be more sturdy, at least according to people who have handled it so far. It's also going to be much more expensive than the SU, so that stands to reason.

Out of the calibers listed originally, the only ones I'd really be interested in are the cheap ones. I mean what's the point otherwise with regards to the SU?

30 carbine would be kind of pointless too, considering you can get a USGI carbine at similar pricing to new/used SUs.

I'd be most interested in K-T trying something in bolt action or lever rifle. I like K-T's small tweaks on existing platforms. A light weight, accurate 223 or 308 (or even better 7.62x54 since surplus is still cheap) bolt action that folded, would be kind of nifty.

I'm still waiting to see what people say about the SU-22 anyway. It looks like it could be a fun alternative to the Marlin 60 or the 10/22.