PDA

View Full Version : loaded handgun in pack while hiking

gibbygoo
09-04-2008, 12:08 PM
I am thinking of carrying a handgun while hiking. I prefer not to open carry, so if I stick it in a pack I'm breaking the law. What to do...

One of the reasons I want a CCW is so that I can do this, but it's not a reason to get a CCW.

Will I be a felon?

Bobula
09-04-2008, 12:17 PM
No, first offense is a misdemeanor

5150Marcelo
09-04-2008, 12:18 PM
No, first offense is a misdemeanor

You can even get that dropped to an infraction with a little help.

gibbygoo
09-04-2008, 12:22 PM
You can even get that dropped to an infraction with a little help.
I figure I could have been doing this all along. I have never been asked what I have in my pack. Like they say, "better to be judged by 12 than carried by 6".

AJAX22
09-04-2008, 12:24 PM
It doesn't do you ANY good in your pack, I can't think of a worse place to cary a pistol.

you might want to look into a fanny pack holster, many states use those for unloaded concealed cary.

what type of land will you be hiking on? it may be legal for you to just sling a rifle over your shoulder

gibbygoo
09-04-2008, 12:38 PM
It doesn't do you ANY good in your pack, I can't think of a worse place to cary a pistol.

you might want to look into a fanny pack holster, many states use those for unloaded concealed cary.

what type of land will you be hiking on? it may be legal for you to just sling a rifle over your shoulder

Sequoia National Forest. I can bring a rifle and have a hunting license, but a rifle is a lot to lug around if not hunting. The question of hunting with handguns after getting into the woods was also answered. I can pack pistols to the shooting spot. I like the idea of an airweight 38+p for a "just in case" situation. Like, "hand over your wallet"...it's right here in my pack. Or ask the zombie to hold one moment while I rustle through my pack. :)

Bobula
09-04-2008, 12:41 PM
If you have a hunting license you are legally allowed to carry a concealed handgun "while" hunting. I carry concealed while hunting, everytime I hunt.

AJAX22
09-04-2008, 12:48 PM
You need a lighter rifle ;)

but yeah like bobula said, its legal if you're hunting or on your way to/from going hunting....

Not sure about sequoia national forest though... someone else will have to chime in on that

Bobula
09-04-2008, 1:14 PM
Should be good to go

But I do agree, dont put it in the pack, it's useless there.

FCinCA
09-04-2008, 1:51 PM
Ok, I am not an attorney. Here is the information on Concealed Weapon Carry from the California Firearms Handbook.

Pursuant to Penal Code section 12025, a person is guilty of carrying a concealed firearm when he or she does any of the following:

• Carries concealed within any vehicle which is under his or her control, any pistol, revolver, or other firearm capable of being concealed upon the person.
• Carries concealed upon his or her person any pistol, revolver, or other firearm capable of being concealed upon the person.
• Causes to be carried concealed within any vehicle in which he or she is an occupant any pistol, revolver, or other firearm capable of being concealed upon the person.

Penal Code Section 12025 does not apply to or affect the lawful transportation or possession of a firearm under specific circumstances, including, but not limited to, the following:

• Licensed hunters or fishermen while engaged in hunting or fishing, or while going to or returning from such hunting or fishing expeditions.

Liberty1
09-04-2008, 1:52 PM
Read and develope your own understanding of how and where the different laws interact and are in effect.

It not just for Open Carry (http://californiaopencarry.org) info...

Bobula
09-04-2008, 2:01 PM
Ok, I am not an attorney. Here is the information on Concealed Weapon Carry from the California Firearms Handbook.

Pursuant to Penal Code section 12025, a person is guilty of carrying a concealed firearm when he or she does any of the following:

• Carries concealed within any vehicle which is under his or her control, any pistol, revolver, or other firearm capable of being concealed upon the person.
• Carries concealed upon his or her person any pistol, revolver, or other firearm capable of being concealed upon the person.
• Causes to be carried concealed within any vehicle in which he or she is an occupant any pistol, revolver, or other firearm capable of being concealed upon the person.

Penal Code Section 12025 does not apply to or affect the lawful transportation or possession of a firearm under specific circumstances, including, but not limited to, the following:

• Licensed hunters or fishermen while engaged in hunting or fishing, or while going to or returning from such hunting or fishing expeditions.

Thank you, I was looking for this

socalgunrunner
09-04-2008, 7:24 PM

Ok. So does this mean that I can pack a concealed pistol when I'm fishing off the Santa Monica Pier just as long as I have a fishing license?

If anyone wants to try this, be sure to let us all know how it turns out.

CAL.BAR
09-04-2008, 7:40 PM
I just came back from Sequoia. Rules for the park are no firearms and no hunting. Any firearms brought into the park must be locked up. (So say the rangers I spoke with and signs that I saw) I don't know where you are headed, but at least the part of the park along the General's Highway, that's the situation.

jmzhwells
09-04-2008, 7:46 PM
Im pretty sure you r allowed loaded OC in the national forest. Park is no guns w/o permit, then unloaded and dissassembled. For the forest u r allowed to have the guns. Look them up on line, call the local place where u plan on going they r a great resource even for the fish and game side.

scr83jp
09-04-2008, 10:00 PM
Sequoia National Forest. I can bring a rifle and have a hunting license, but a rifle is a lot to lug around if not hunting. The question of hunting with handguns after getting into the woods was also answered. I can pack pistols to the shooting spot. I like the idea of an airweight 38+p for a "just in case" situation. Like, "hand over your wallet"...it's right here in my pack. Or ask the zombie to hold one moment while I rustle through my pack. :)What's the difference with Sequoia it's still a national forest. I always carried 2 handguns on family backpacking hikes in the Klamath NF when we were heading out to camp and go fishing,a 4" Ruger .357 SS Security Six loaded with my own special pocket rockets in a holster on my hip & a Walther PPK S 380 hidden but accessible but I was a deputized peace officer & had a CCW issued for protection. When I visited Montana I was told I could keep a loaded handgun on the seat or dash in the car with me but couldn't carry it concealed until I entered USFS or BLM land different rules in different states.When I started attending the Univ of AZ in 1961 I noticed guys riding around on their honda motor bikes with 1 or 2 holstered revolvers on their hips it was legal to carry them openly but not concealed.

Rule .308
09-04-2008, 11:05 PM
I just came back from Sequoia. Rules for the park are no firearms and no hunting. Any firearms brought into the park must be locked up. (So say the rangers I spoke with and signs that I saw) I don't know where you are headed, but at least the part of the park along the General's Highway, that's the situation.

Sequoia National Park is in Sequioa National Forest but they are two entirely different things. I've been to both and you can rest assured that the National Forest segment is covered with armed hunters during deer season. While they are both on the western side of the Sierra Nevadas you cannot physically drive from the park section right into the other or vice versa, you have to come down out of the mountains, traverse across the flatlands for a ways and then re-enter the mountains to go from one to the other.

rayra
09-24-2008, 11:08 PM

Sequoia Park and Sequoia Forest are two different sets of rules.

dexter9659
09-25-2008, 12:00 AM

Agreed!!

Rumpled
09-25-2008, 1:52 AM
Be careful of the Sequoia National Monument as well.
Most of it is former National Forest, but they proably treat it like National Park now. I'm not positvie, but you're gonna wanna check that, too.

sargenv
09-25-2008, 7:03 AM
I do believe National Monuments allow firearms and hunting. National parks do not, and National Forests usually do. If in doubt, I'd check the rules for the specific Monument, park, or forest. Sometimes there are seasonal restrictions.

Chukar hunter
09-25-2008, 11:42 AM
If the hiking is within the "Historic" condor area, you can not have lead ammunition..... check with fish and game....

gibbygoo
10-04-2008, 6:54 PM
If the hiking is within the "Historic" condor area, you can not have lead ammunition..... check with fish and game....

What about target shooting, “plinking”, or firearms for personal protection?
The Commission does not regulate these activities. Use of lead projectiles is legal
unless another government entity has determined otherwise for lands they administer.
The regulations prohibiting lead only relate to possession while engaged in specified
hunting activities.
http://dfg.ca.gov/wildlife/hunting/condor/
http://dfg.ca.gov/wildlife/hunting/condor/docs/LeadInformation.pdf

packnrat
10-05-2008, 12:19 PM

only while hunting.:eek:

plinking you can shoot any kind of shot...go figure.:chris:

:TFH:

Whitesmoke
10-05-2008, 8:11 PM

Not true....you can't have it while "hunting".

vandal
10-05-2008, 10:35 PM
So you can carry a concealed handgun while hunting. In the California Condor areas you can't have lead ammo if you are hunting. So in Condor areas either you're NOT hunting and your concealed handgun is illegal, or you ARE hunting and your lead JHP ammo is illegal.

I guess you just have to CCW with non-lead ammo. So I would go .45 ACP!

Rover
10-06-2008, 2:41 AM
Ok. So does this mean that I can pack a concealed pistol when I'm fishing off the Santa Monica Pier just as long as I have a fishing license?

If anyone wants to try this, be sure to let us all know how it turns out.

I'm curious about that too, I have my fishing liscense and at least 1 pole in my trunk at all times, so technicly I'm always on my way to go fishing, don't want to be the test pilot for that, but would love to know the results.

sacgsxr
10-07-2008, 6:23 PM
I'm curious about that too, I have my fishing liscense and at least 1 pole in my trunk at all times, so technicly I'm always on my way to go fishing, don't want to be the test pilot for that, but would love to know the results.

Me too. CCW while fishing? Seems unlikely.

sacgsxr
10-07-2008, 6:41 PM

this link seems to have some info on it.
http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/showthread.php?p=1472182

JDay
11-10-2008, 5:24 AM
What's the difference with Sequoia it's still a national forest. I always carried 2 handguns on family backpacking hikes in the Klamath NF when we were heading out to camp and go fishing,a 4" Ruger .357 SS Security Six loaded with my own special pocket rockets in a holster on my hip & a Walther PPK S 380 hidden but accessible but I was a deputized peace officer & had a CCW issued for protection. When I visited Montana I was told I could keep a loaded handgun on the seat or dash in the car with me but couldn't carry it concealed until I entered USFS or BLM land different rules in different states.When I started attending the Univ of AZ in 1961 I noticed guys riding around on their honda motor bikes with 1 or 2 holstered revolvers on their hips it was legal to carry them openly but not concealed.

Thats the nice thing about Arizona, legal loaded open carry.

JDay
11-10-2008, 5:27 AM
http://dfg.ca.gov/wildlife/hunting/condor/
http://dfg.ca.gov/wildlife/hunting/condor/docs/LeadInformation.pdf

What was the point of the lead ammo ban then?

JDay
11-10-2008, 5:29 AM

I believe the law was intended to let you CCW while in a boat.

Alaric
11-12-2008, 2:05 PM
What was the point of the lead ammo ban then?

To protect condors from lead poisoning when the eat the carcass of an animal shot with a lead bullet(s). Lead tastes good, the Romans used to use it as a seasoning. There's some speculation that may have led to the downfall of the Roman Empire (pun intended) as it causes all sorts of negative health effects.

Basically, there's two scenarios:

1. Animal (deer, pig, coyote, etc.) get's shot and takes off into the wilds. Hunter can't find it but the animal bleeds out. Condor finds carcass and eats lead, getting poisoned.

2. Unethical hunter takes only what he wants from his kill (rack, specific cuts, etc.) and leaves carcass with lead bullets to be consumed by condor.

You can supposedly get a coupon for cheap lead-free bullets if you hunt.