View Full Version : Experience with SAI .308 M1 Garand

09-04-2008, 10:45 AM

I am interested in purchasing a Springfield Inc. M1 Garand in .308, (I know the options available, getting a GI and do a conversion) but this is the route I want to go. I am interested in the experiences of those that have them, and the availability. I know that SAI no longer makes them, and they are not particularly collectable. Thanks, USMCM16A2

09-04-2008, 7:35 PM
God. I had two of these ten years ago and just NEVER got jazzed to shoot them instead of an M1-A in 308. I wwas thinking the same thing, tho, a month or two ago and posted questions but when I found Springfield wasn't making t hem I joined the CMP. The early Springer ones were made with good USGI forged parts -- I don't know about the last few years.

09-04-2008, 8:13 PM
The latest venture by SA Inc. used cast receivers and new Wilson barrels and boyds (ugh) stock sets. the internals were the result of SA Inc buying up all the parts kits that were on the market 7-8 yrs ago and they just simply reparked them without regards to how worn or not worn the parts were. Some are great shooters and some are lemons.. one thing to remember with a 308 Garand tyhe occasional empty WILL eject straight backwards. if you are a lefty you WILL get knocked in the head by a hot empty at least once for every En-bloc you shoot. This is a result of a short cartridge in a long action. you can fiddle with the ejector and spring to try to attempt to aleviate this but you will still get a casing back at you once in a while.

While I DO have a tricked out Match 308 Garand. I would never do it again and once this barrel is shot out I will redo the rifle into a Match 30-06 Garand. I have 3 M1A's so that satifises my addiction for a semi 308 rifle. Along with my 1919A4 of course :)