PDA

View Full Version : CMMG Piston ARs

Run&Gun
09-04-2008, 9:51 AM
anyone here anything about the cmmg piston ARs? i was in river city gun exchange yesterday and saw them for the first time. they look nice and i have read a lot of good things about the rest of there products. they also have a sig 556 that i havent seen before. it was the swat but the rifle was all flat dark earth. i was pretty cool.

jandmtv
09-04-2008, 9:54 AM
Tag

aplinker
09-04-2008, 1:17 PM
They've only been out a couple months... You won't find too much info.

They haven't even put it up on their website or described the system.

I think they're in small numbers at this point. Apparently it's their own design.

The current model is a 16" carbine.

technique
09-04-2008, 4:34 PM
Might have to take a trip to RCGE tomorrow:)

aplinker
09-04-2008, 4:39 PM
Here are a couple pics

http://san1.atlanta.gbhinc.com/GB/106677000/106677798/pix2192166015.jpg

http://apexmtn.eaph4.com/share/Uppers/Piston/Piston3.JPG

supersonic
09-04-2008, 9:14 PM
Yeah, I saw it, too. What I don't like is that they chose to put those crappy DPMS "glacier" handguards on the thing. "Crappy" meaning: I had a set and they made my M4 look & feel like an airsoft. Plus, the genius who invented them felt that building more plastic into them would replace the need for metal heat shields. And, YES, they do melt inside, during sustained fire, causing hard, sticky, gooey plastic to "fuse" to the barrel. That being said, it's not a bad upper, otherwise, as far as I can tell.

PIRATE14
09-04-2008, 9:44 PM
They've only been out a couple months... You won't find too much info.

They haven't even put it up on their website or described the system.

I think they're in small numbers at this point. Apparently it's their own design.

The current model is a 16" carbine.

So far, we've sold about 2 dozen rifles......they are well liked by the guys that hav'em........

I haven't actually shot one yet......true, hard to believe....

One of customers comes by after his range days and lets us inspect the rifle and it has been running solid.....

I can't rember whose GP system it is but it's very robust similar to a POF but a little bit different.....

The HGs are about the only draw back as mentioned but I'd classify it as a BUY.........

Think we have half a doz in STK......

BHPFan
09-04-2008, 10:17 PM
I can't rember whose GP system it is but it's very robust similar to a POF but a little bit different.....

The GP retrofit on the CMMG gas piston upper is made by Kodiak Rifleworks.

I have one and like mine. However, I agree regarding the handguards. I am thinking about replacing them. Any suggestions?

PIRATE14
09-04-2008, 10:21 PM
The GP retrofit on the CMMG gas piston upper is made by Kodiak Rifleworks.

I have one and like mine. However, I agree regarding the handguards. I am thinking about replacing them. Any suggestions?

We were looking at a POF rail......or maye you could machine out a set....

NSR500
09-04-2008, 10:28 PM
ARMS SIR and the LWRC Rails (7") will fit over that system.

stockplayer
09-04-2008, 10:34 PM
I hope they flop.......so I wont have to buy one :)

aplinker
09-05-2008, 1:29 AM
I need to read up on the Kodiak system now... does it vent gases out the top? The carrier looks like it just has a replaced gas key.

We were looking at a POF rail......or maye you could machine out a set....

The problem with POF (and ARMS) is it raises the sights above the rail - by a lot. It makes normal mount heights (like EOTechs and ACOGs) feel strange in their cheek weld. The mounting system for the POF is really poor, too.

I'd bet a DD could be machined out.

trinydex
09-05-2008, 1:42 AM
does the DD need to be? does it fit the pws piston without mods? that was my impression.

aplinker
09-05-2008, 2:30 AM
Yeah, it fits PWS, but I doubt it would on this without being opened up, just judging from the thickness of the op-rod shroud.

Addax
09-05-2008, 6:20 PM
The CMMG Gas Piston System was designed and is manufactured by Kodiak Rifle Works for CMMG.

They used to have this system posted on their website, but they are now exclusive to CMMG and all info. about the system is no longer posted on their website.

Addax
09-05-2008, 6:22 PM
Yeah, it fits PWS, but I doubt it would on this without being opened up, just judging from the thickness of the op-rod shroud.

Just from looking at the pics, I don't think a DD Lite Rail will work, the Gas Tube and Shoulder are pretty large in diameter, and the Gas Tube sits higher, but I would have to see one and check out the dimensions.

Addax
09-05-2008, 6:57 PM
does the DD need to be? does it fit the pws piston without mods? that was my impression.

The DD Lite Rails install perfectly on our PWS based Gas Piston Uppers without any need to modify the rails.

Here is one of our Gas Piston Uppers with the DD Lite Rail 9.5 FSP.

http://i216.photobucket.com/albums/cc137/addax/IMG_9874.jpg

trinydex
09-05-2008, 7:36 PM
The CMMG Gas Piston System was designed and is manufactured by Kodiak Rifle Works for CMMG.

They used to have this system posted on their website, but they are now exclusive to CMMG and all info. about the system is no longer posted on their website.

how does theirs differ from pws? hammering effect? canting effect? mass effect (heheh pun pun)?