View Full Version : Paranoid about someone stealing my car with rifles inside

09-04-2008, 8:13 AM
I am a little paranoid about making stops after a trip to the shooting range with the fear that someone might steal my car while eating at a restaurant after a day of shooting. Questions.
1) Am I the only one with this fear? I only feel this way when I have my rifles inside the trunk.
2) Do you know if the car insurance will pay for the rifles if stolen?

I used to have a fear of someone questioning the legality of my OLL at the range and that is all gone now since the word has gone out that they are legal as long as you abide with the restrictions(ie BB and 10 round mags max.) thanks to CALGUNS.

09-04-2008, 8:17 AM
haha, i get like this too. i lock to trunk whenever i go anywhere lol not like itll really do anything it just maes me feel better haha, and as far as the insurance thing: i THINK for insurace to cover it it has to be "attached" to the vehicle semi permanently (my dads truck was broken into 4 years ago and $300 worth of CD's were taken but werent replaced cause they werent 'velcroed to the seat') but i honestly have no idea.

09-04-2008, 8:19 AM
I don't know how guys can even drive to the range with guns in the bed of their pickup -- I always think you're gonna stop at a red light and some guy will just grab the guns out of the back --

09-04-2008, 8:21 AM
At first I used to be pretty paranoid about it and now I'm comfortable with making a short stop or two on the way home...usually a quick in and out at a quiet grocery store.

09-04-2008, 8:31 AM
bah I dont worry too much about it
plus my mossberg 500 lives in there full time

09-04-2008, 8:34 AM
bah I dont worry too much about it
plus my mossberg 500 lives in there full time

haha, is that for CD instead of HD?

09-04-2008, 8:37 AM
If you're honestly that worried about it, you could always get put a Lo-jack system in your ride...

09-04-2008, 8:46 AM

09-04-2008, 8:53 AM
2) Do you know if the car insurance will pay for the rifles if stolen?

Thats a big Negative! If you have homeowners insurance or renters insurance, then they "might" cover the stolen firearms, but your car insurance covers just that, your car.

09-04-2008, 8:54 AM
Keep an eye out of your car and join the NRA, they'll cover your guns.

09-04-2008, 9:13 AM

Full Clip
09-04-2008, 9:24 AM
I'm sure most insurance companies will offer a similar rider.
But I always just go straight back to the house after range shooting. Unless I can park close and get a window seat allowing me to watch the car...
BTW, Stan, Nice Chrysler. I have an '08 300C (after turning in an '05). Great car.

09-04-2008, 9:32 AM
just get an alarm 50 bucks! and you don't have to worry! or add a kill switch to the fuel pump(a switch costs like under 5 dollars) no fuel = no start

09-04-2008, 9:45 AM
I hear tell they make some kind of pill that will take the paranoia away... :-)

But really...what kind of car do you drive? I ask because if it is not something that gets stolen alot I think you will be fine....and where do you live?

Here in Redding we do not have much car theft and I don't think there has ever been a car jacking that I heard of.

I drive a late model Chrysler that is a bit pimped out (see pic)....I keep my 870 in the trunk full time and when I go to shoot my rifles....TRG-22,Tikka Tac., Win M70,etc....I leave them in the car and stop at the store,eat,etc.

Guess I figure thats what I have been paying for insurence all these years for.

Take care,Stan

http://www.freeimagehosting.net/uploads/07950040e4.jpg (http://www.freeimagehosting.net/)

I'd be more worried about being pulled over for some type of chrome infraction then having somebody get into the trunk... :eek:

09-04-2008, 9:54 AM
I suppose you can do like some folks do with their Harleys - never let them out of your sight. Park where you can watch it.

09-04-2008, 9:55 AM
Keep an eye out of your car and join the NRA, they'll cover your guns.

Basic "free" coverage used to be $200 IIRC. Additional coverage costs money.

09-04-2008, 11:32 AM
dude i get so freaking paranoid too.

09-04-2008, 11:35 AM
i always try to park my car as close to the front as possible

09-04-2008, 12:10 PM
Making my calguns debut, I third or fourth the idea of an alarm. I have a decent sound system in my explorer and i was always paranoid that someone was going to follow me home one day or just look in my window and see 2 huge subs sitting there and attempt to steal them. Living in an apartment, I am pretty screwed if my alarm goes off because my truck is a good 50+ yards from my door to carport with buildings in the way. So I got a 2-way alarm (alarm goes off, sends signal to my alarm remote, then it tells me what's up). And when activated, the starter is dead so i guess you will really need to know what you are doing or towing my ride. Either way, you have no more then 15 seconds tell you deal with me.

As far as them stealing them right out of your vehicle at a restaurant or whatever, they will of course have to get in the car somehow and if you have a 2-way alarm, you will know about half a second after they break the window or anything else. And the Viper 5900 alarm that I use says it has a 1 mile range but hell, I don't walk that far from my car to even test that. And remote start is cool feature too.

Of course, the insurance stuff everyone has mentioned is great. I just haven't gone as far as getting extra coverage because I live in Huntington Beach, I worry about getting hit by drunks more then anything because of my swing shift hours.

09-04-2008, 12:31 PM
You are not paranoid. You are responsible.

When coming from the range with friends, the only stop we will make is for lunch. Always have the car in sight. Never more than 30ft from it. Guns locked up in the trunk. In fact, for range trips, I wont take the truck. Always the car, so everything is locked up tight. If I am coming from the range solo, then its straight home with no pit stops.