PDA

View Full Version : Position Shooting

Brent1too
09-03-2008, 6:29 PM
Hello. I was looking around at all the different places there are to shoot but i'm having some trouble figuring out what you can do at each range. I want to do position style shooting; prone, kneelng ,sitting. Nothing fancy. I've noticed a lot of bench type shooting so i'm not really sure what kind of things are allowed. I do know about the Santa Margarita Gun Club so far. Oh and someone mentioned to me an Adair Public shooting range out in Yuma. Yuma's not too far away I suppose.. Anyone ever been there?? I'm at pendleton. Thanks for any sort of help!

Mark One
09-03-2008, 7:03 PM
I think that santa margarita gun club will be my new place!

The closest rifle ranges to me where 2 hours away. Now this one is 30 minutes!!!!

BEST INFO EVER!

Thank you very much

slvrbulit12
09-03-2008, 8:12 PM
Where is the Santa Margarta gun club located?

Mark One
09-03-2008, 8:35 PM
Type it into Google.

Its inside Camp Pendleton somewhere

I use to go inside that base a lot of some reason or another. I am sure I passed this range and never thought twice about it. I figured it would be illegal of Civi's to shoot inside a Military base.

ocabj
09-03-2008, 10:00 PM
Anyone ever been there?? I'm at pendleton. Thanks for any sort of help!

You're at Camp Pendleton? Then you NEED to go to a SMGC event.

http://www.santamargaritagunclub.org/

There's no reason to not go since you're already on the base.

All the rifle matches are at Wilcox 103.

http://www.ocabj.net/gallery2/d/304-2/DSCN3428.jpg

The next event is the "600 yard Championship" on September 20 (I'll be there). I don't know why they are dubbing it that, but it's basically a 3x600 (3 strings of fire, each string is 22 rounds - 2 rounds for sighters, 20 rounds for record, fired from prone at 600 yards).

The next "Across the Course" match (200 yard standing, 200 yard sitting, 300 yard prone, 600 yard prone) is September 27 (I will also be at that match).

The SMGC events at Camp Pendleton's Wilcox Range 103 is one of the few full course High Power rifle venues available in SoCal. Why more people aren't taking advantage of it is beyond me.

http://www.ocabj.net/gallery2/d/4322-2/IMG_0336.JPG

http://www.ocabj.net/gallery2/d/4839-2/IMG_4311-pp.jpg

smokingloon
09-03-2008, 10:03 PM
I believe it is at wilcox range. The guy who runs the show is chief warrant officer Rucks. He is retired I believe.

edit: a little late. Trying not to go unk?

m24armorer
09-03-2008, 10:07 PM
Pendleton's nice, I haven't had to brush off a big Trantula in some time.

anothergunnut
09-04-2008, 8:27 PM
It doesn't help you but other Calgunners might want to know that at Manteca Sportsmen guests are welcome to shoot positions. The range has traditional benches but you are allowed to shoot various positions to the left of each bench. Just make sure the muzzle is ahead of the bench, follow standard safety rules, and you are good to go.

Astig Boy
09-04-2008, 9:38 PM
Hello. I was looking around at all the different places there are to shoot but i'm having some trouble figuring out what you can do at each range. I want to do position style shooting; prone, kneelng ,sitting. Nothing fancy. I've noticed a lot of bench type shooting so i'm not really sure what kind of things are allowed. I do know about the Santa Margarita Gun Club so far. Oh and someone mentioned to me an Adair Public shooting range out in Yuma. Yuma's not too far away I suppose.. Anyone ever been there?? I'm at pendleton. Thanks for any sort of help!

I give you props. Nearly everywhere you go now a days you see people with ironsights shooting at a bench...and they "think" they got skill. I understand you need a bench to hone your skill(trigger, breathing, aim, etc...) but if your there 100% of the time then what are you really practicing for? A bench is not always going to be available for you in the real world. I just feel more people need to get off that bench, get down and dirty, and do some real shooting. :D

devildog999
09-04-2008, 9:44 PM
I give you props. Nearly everywhere you go now a days you see people with ironsights shooting at a bench...and they "think" they got skill. I understand you need a bench to hone your skill(trigger, breathing, aim, etc...) but if your there 100% of the time then what are you really practicing for? A bench is not always going to be available for you in the real world. I just feel more people need to get off that bench, get down and dirty, and do some real shooting. :D

God I couldn't agree more. All this talk about shooting on Pendleton makes me really miss the Marines :(

I gotta find out if they let vets shoot on base.