PDA

View Full Version : Magazine question

devildog999
09-03-2008, 5:05 PM
I have yet to take my AR15 to the range and am planning on doing so soon. Going to A Place To Shoot. Curious as to whether most of you load the mag by breaking the AR shotgun style or do you just release your mag (this is obviously a question geared to those that use the BB). I want to by some more mags but figure if most load it shotgun as they feel that legally the safer practice, no point in wasting my money. Hoping most just release the mag and slide in a new loaded one.

Thanks much

AJAX22
09-03-2008, 5:10 PM
the places I've been seem to prefer mags to be out of the gun and a colored indicator in the chamber....

but most ranges are hip to the prince 50 style and will accept broken open guns as satisfactory

nobs11
09-03-2008, 5:20 PM
I use MMGs on mine. Try it before your make up your mind. It only looks "ugly." Don't have to worry about overzealous range staff or anyone else.

CHS
09-03-2008, 5:32 PM
I legally drop my mags with a BB.

Remember, when using a BB you must only use 10rd (or less) mags. I have a few 10/20 magazines that I lawfully swap out using a tip of a bullet as a tool :)

devildog999
09-03-2008, 7:49 PM
I use MMGs on mine. Try it before your make up your mind. It only looks "ugly." Don't have to worry about overzealous range staff or anyone else.

Too late there, had my rifle for a couple weeks now. I fell in love with the basic feel of the M16 in the Corps, can't imagine switching to something without the "evil features". Just wouldn't feel right.

devildog999
09-03-2008, 7:50 PM
I legally drop my mags with a BB.

Remember, when using a BB you must only use 10rd (or less) mags. I have a few 10/20 magazines that I lawfully swap out using a tip of a bullet as a tool :)

I have a 10/20 right now. Gonna need to go out and get some more mags.

trapshot68
09-03-2008, 8:03 PM
last time I was there, the RO knew I had a BB, but as a courtesy asked that I do the break open reload. Their house, their rules...

But yeah, any other time, it's button punching.

aplinker
09-03-2008, 8:58 PM
I'm betting all your fears will dissipate once you hit the range and see everyone else shooting OLLs.

You can legally drop mags with a BB. I RARELY see anyone top loading anymore.

You should read through why it's legal to drop mags from Gene's original description of the BB so you can articulate it.

devildog999
09-03-2008, 9:54 PM
I'm betting all your fears will dissipate once you hit the range and see everyone else shooting OLLs.

You can legally drop mags with a BB. I RARELY see anyone top loading anymore.

You should read through why it's legal to drop mags from Gene's original description of the BB so you can articulate it.

I understand why it is legal, and I personally don't have a prob with dropping a mag. I just want to make sure that I don't do the wrong thing to create a problem for myself. Like I said, have yet to take my M4 to the range, and have yet to see any other OLL as I usually go to Oak Tree Gun Club (they have no rifle range), so I wanted to be sure how most do it.

Thanks for the help gents

AdamM
09-04-2008, 1:06 AM
I drop mags at LPRG all the time no questions asked