PDA

View Full Version : Accuracy difference in Gov't Profile versus Medium Contour

HK&1911
09-03-2008, 4:24 PM
Just a quick question...

I'm looking at a couple 20" barrels (BM/RIA/CMMG) and some are offered in a Gov't profile and other in a heavier "Medium Contour"/NM. I'm not looking at Varmint or Bull barrels.

Will I notice accuracy differences between the Gov't profile and the heavier ones at 200yds?

Under what conditions would I detect differences between the barrels (besides the weight)?

Thanks,

HK&1911

jandmtv
09-03-2008, 5:14 PM
Govt profile is thinner under that handguards, the medcon is thicker. Govt will heat up faster under rapid or semi rapid fire, medcon will heat up, but not a quick as the govt profile.

That being said, both of my CMMG uppers are medcon.

CHS
09-03-2008, 5:41 PM
Without free floated handguards, there will probably be some small accuracy difference. I would imagine it won't be too noticeable to you. Probably not at all if you shoot with iron sights.

If you free float, then a thicker profile or NM barrel will definitely be more accurate and probably pretty noticeable.

plinkmeister
09-03-2008, 5:52 PM
. Govt will heat up faster under rapid or semi rapid fire, medcon will heat up, but not a quick as the govt profile.

"Semi rapid fire" ??? Now what the hell is that supposed to mean? :laugh:

aplinker
09-03-2008, 8:21 PM
http://ar15barrels.com/profiles.shtml

that should give an idea of sizes.

You're trading weight for stiffness. I would go with a medium contour in 20". It will pay excellent dividends in accuracy. You may want to consider SS if you're going to go for accuracy.

A gov't profile will be pretty whippy at 20". You'll lose some accuracy.

How accurate do you need your rifle to be, and what kind of ammo do you expect to use? If we're talking surplus XM193 you're unlikely to see any difference.

HK&1911
09-04-2008, 6:24 AM
http://ar15barrels.com/profiles.shtml

that should give an idea of sizes.
difference.

Thanks for link!

Thanks for your input everybody. I believe I'll be happier with a heavier version.

HK&1911

hybridatsun350
09-04-2008, 9:12 AM
Go HBAR! Don't be a wimp about it! :p

Seriously though, The Gov't profile 20" looks like a really long pencil. I don't think I would count on that thing for any type of great accuracy. The Med-Con is better, but if you want real accuracy just go with an HBAR. It's a little heavier, but c'mon, it's an AR! That being said, it all depends on what kind of accuracy you are going for here. :cool2:

aplinker
09-04-2008, 12:19 PM
Go HBAR! Don't be a wimp about it! :p

Seriously though, The Gov't profile 20" looks like a really long pencil. I don't think I would count on that thing for any type of great accuracy. The Med-Con is better, but if you want real accuracy just go with an HBAR. It's a little heavier, but c'mon, it's an AR! That being said, it all depends on what kind of accuracy you are going for here. :cool2:

I would suggest HBAR is pretty much useless unless he goes stainless.

HBAR also starts to cross into the realm of no fun to carry.

Medcon and 20" is about the heaviest I'd want to lug all day. I'd probably go 18", too.

bahazero
09-04-2008, 4:54 PM
anyone have an idea how much a medcon weighs compared to the gov't profile complete upper?

hybridatsun350
09-04-2008, 10:17 PM
anyone have an idea how much a medcon weighs compared to the gov't profile complete upper?

From what I remember, the jump in weight from the Gov't to the HBAR is about a pound so I would say the med-con sits in the middle. Oh, and I am talking about 20" barrels here.

Not sure I would quote me on that though.... :)

My HBAR isn't that heavy!