PDA

View Full Version : How do you aim a "cruiser" type shotty?

CCWFacts
09-03-2008, 12:28 AM
I notice that Mossberg etc make "cruiser" type shotties, which have pistol grips but no buttstock, like this (http://www.mossberg.com/images/Mossberg_Guns/930/New/50450.jpg).

How do you aim these things? I can understand, at very close distances, you can point shoot it, but is it usable at all at longer ranges? Do you somehow hold it as a pistol and try to use the sights?

DedEye
09-03-2008, 12:36 AM
What's a "shotty" :p?

You shoot it from the hip without reloading killing schoolbuses full of babies with each shot, of course. :rolleyes: ;)

Dark Water
09-03-2008, 2:57 AM
As far as I know up close and personal is all you got with a pistol grip shotgun.

SJgunguy24
09-03-2008, 3:05 AM
It also kills puppys, kittens and destroys the ozone layer!!!!!!

savs2k
09-03-2008, 3:41 PM
get as close as you can point pump and dump. if their far away and thats all you got you need to talk about their momma or something to get them to come closer =P

steadyrock
09-03-2008, 3:48 PM
I thought those were called "street sweepers". :rolleyes: In any case, I'm sure some combination of holding it sideways and/or at hip level and yelling the words "pop", "cap", and "azz" should work just fine.

Or, you can try to shoot it one-handed like a pistol. Just be sure and send me the Youtube if you do. ;)

JeffM
09-03-2008, 3:49 PM
What's a "shotty" :p?

You shoot it from the hip without reloading killing schoolbuses full of babies with each shot, of course. :rolleyes: ;)

ZOMBIEHUNTER
09-03-2008, 3:50 PM
from the hip there cool for self defense because the look scarier then a stocked gun

Patriot
09-03-2008, 3:53 PM
Front Toward Enemy :p

saki302
09-03-2008, 3:56 PM
They absolutely suck.

And I've shot one like a pistol before (SBS out of state with 3" magnums!), but then again I asked S&W to make a scandium .500 for me :D
I regret not getting video (cameras were pricey back then)- it recoiled so hard the pump racked back and ejected the shell!

You won't hit much with it- and it sticks out more than if you held a stocked one at the hip- try it and you'll see.

Shotgun spread is amyth, you still have to aim. Across a room it maybe spreads to the size of an orange with an open choke.

-Dave

PS- the one good use is to make a CA-legal AOW with one!!

kermit
09-03-2008, 4:08 PM
You can try the front bead and holding it like a pistol. but recoil is severe. Adding a laser or even a flashlight will give you an indicator for hip shooting, which is more comfortable. I took my pistol grip off and went back to the standard stock.

M. Sage
09-03-2008, 4:32 PM
I notice that Mossberg etc make "cruiser" type shotties, which have pistol grips but no buttstock, like this (http://www.mossberg.com/images/Mossberg_Guns/930/New/50450.jpg).

How do you aim these things? I can understand, at very close distances, you can point shoot it, but is it usable at all at longer ranges? Do you somehow hold it as a pistol and try to use the sights?

Point-shoot it.

RossRinSD
09-03-2008, 4:38 PM
I thought you just popped one off and guesstimated the second one from there.

joea
09-03-2008, 4:42 PM
I thought those were called "street sweepers". :rolleyes: In any case, I'm sure some combination of holding it sideways and/or at hip level and yelling the words "pop", "cap", and "azz" should work just fine.

Or, you can try to shoot it one-handed like a pistol. Just be sure and send me the Youtube if you do. ;)
http://world.guns.ru/shotgun/sh09-e.htm
<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/xiMQ981lph0&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/xiMQ981lph0&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

CSACANNONEER
09-03-2008, 4:43 PM
You really don't need to aim it. Just point it and keep pulling the trigger. No need to worry about wasting ammo 'cause Alison told me that as long as it has a pistol grip you can shoot more without having to reload!

CCWFacts
09-03-2008, 5:02 PM
Ok, that's what I thought. I guess you could do better with a mounted flashlight with a tight beam, or maybe a red dot sight, but it makes more sense to get one with a normal stock.

It's strange, both Mossburg and Remington make several "cruiser" models, and they seem utterly ridiculous to me, other than the fact that they have higher levels of inherent evil, as we all know that pistol grips cause otherwise healthy and normal guns to have higher capacity and have magical cop-killer baby-seeking fur-seal-annihilating qualities.

CSACANNONEER
09-03-2008, 5:18 PM
Ok, that's what I thought. I guess you could do better with a mounted flashlight with a tight beam, or maybe a red dot sight, but it makes more sense to get one with a normal stock.

It's strange, both Mossburg and Remington make several "cruiser" models, and they seem utterly ridiculous to me, other than the fact that they have higher levels of inherent evil, as we all know that pistol grips cause otherwise healthy and normal guns to have higher capacity and have magical cop-killer baby-seeking fur-seal-annihilating qualities.

I've seen one person who actually has a valid reason for needing and using one. He is a professional rattlesnake remover and will take a PG shotgun when he has to crawl under a house or trailer. For most people, they are just useless small part compensators.

rue
09-03-2008, 5:29 PM
Just to add my opinion they seem handy if you want to hide them more then making them useful at all. I actually prefer the pistol grip with buttstock style stock on my shotguns that way I can control recoil and I can use a pistol grip which I'm more used to shooting in a rifle or something. I think that the recoil reducing one is the ticket myself.

JOEKILLA
09-03-2008, 5:40 PM
http://world.guns.ru/shotgun/sh09-e.htm
<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/xiMQ981lph0&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/xiMQ981lph0&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

Ahhhhh, the Street Sweeper. The one that got away. I should've bought that instead of a Mini-14 :mad:

CHS
09-03-2008, 5:43 PM
I don't see many legitimate uses for one of these. They are pretty silly.

That said, I absolutely want one because they look really fun :)

Guns don't have to be useful if they're fun!

sorensen440
09-03-2008, 6:04 PM
hehe.... shotty

I wouldnt waste the money on one of those
Im sure there just fine in the home but what if you were dealing at a bit more distance??

saki302
09-06-2008, 11:46 PM
If you've shot clays for any length of time, you'll always prefer the straight stock. If you're a black rifle guy, you'll get used to the better handling of the straight stock quickly :D PGs have their place, for room clearing, etc. (one handed use), but if you have the wrist and grip strength, the straight stocks work pretty much the same.

Now the street sweeper- I'd like to own one just because puppies and kittens die and democrats wake in cold sweats every time you fire or touch one :D
I thought they were kind of retarded until they banned them all, and went ranting and raving about how evil they are. Just as I'd never have bought a .50BMG if they hadn't gone and banned them..

-Dave

PS- under a house, I'd probably rather have a 44 mag revolver loaded with snake shot

apbrian112
09-07-2008, 11:47 AM
i recently tried shooting my 870 equipped with the top folding remington stock in the folded position (so pretty much just the pistol grip)... eh, it's not ideal but it's not as bad as you think. just hold your arms out and shoot!

having the stock deployed isn't much better since the stock is just steel and the buttplate (if you can call it that) is literally a 1/8" rubber pad that was glued on by remmington. i thought my m1s90 used to hurt...

sb_pete
09-08-2008, 1:04 AM
Just get a nice cheek weld with the nub and the tang safety under your cheek bone, line up with the target and...
post pics of results:p

nick
09-08-2008, 1:14 AM
i recently tried shooting my 870 equipped with the top folding remington stock in the folded position (so pretty much just the pistol grip)... eh, it's not ideal but it's not as bad as you think. just hold your arms out and shoot!

having the stock deployed isn't much better since the stock is just steel and the buttplate (if you can call it that) is literally a 1/8" rubber pad that was glued on by remmington. i thought my m1s90 used to hurt...

I think, they were talking about the ones with proper stocks.

motorhead
09-08-2008, 11:25 PM
pistol grips make it easier to climb out of your tank.

DubsGuns
09-09-2008, 4:35 PM
attatch a tactical flashlight laser combo, or just the laser.
As long as you use 00 buck, the laser should put you right in the neighborhood.

Full Clip
09-09-2008, 4:50 PM
http://www.mossberg.com/images/Mossberg_Guns/930/New/54125.jpg
Eh, my Mossberg 500 (like above) has plenty of spread at about 10 yards with 00 buck.
Only modification was to replace the original hard plastic grip with an Hogue rubber one.
Also fun to shoot with Mini Shells, though they don't feed worth a damn.

09-09-2008, 5:38 PM
Place your nose on the safety so that you can see the bead sight and pull the trigger.:62: I think you will only do it once.

BossHog
09-09-2008, 6:58 PM
Eh, my Mossberg 500 (like above) has plenty of spread at about 10 yards with 00 buck. Only modification was to replace the original hard plastic grip with an Hogue rubber one.

Ditto. I have the same setup also and it's a blast to shoot.

Guntech
09-09-2008, 7:28 PM
At the bad guy with one hand.

jdberger
09-09-2008, 7:39 PM
I thought they were supposed to be fired sideways, over your head while you're taking cover behind the passenger window of a car.

No?

:confused:

Hopi
09-09-2008, 7:43 PM
Point-shoot it.

+1

Mine works great that way.