PDA

View Full Version : Great Dove Recipe (baked)

E Pluribus Unum
09-02-2008, 11:42 PM
I borrowed from three different online recipes for this and kinda "winged" it. All of the online recipes were complex. I did not want all the prep work; I just wanted something simple that tasted good. I combined the different aspects of all three recipes to create a very simple recipe that tasted awesome.

Needed Items:

.25 gallons 2% milk
8 Dove breasts with bones.
3 cubes of butter
1 Tablespoon Pepper
1 Tablespoon Seasoned Salt
1 Tablespoon Garlic Powder
4 pieces uncooked bacon

Thoroughly clean all the Dove. If any holes exist in the breast from shot, take a knife and cut the hole out a bit to make sure no feathers were pushed into the hole by the shot.

Marinade:
1) Take a large freezer bag and place all cleaned dove breasts into bag. Poor milk over the breasts until all breasts are fully submerged. Place in refrigerator for 4 hours. This helps take the "wild" taste out of it.

2) Take cubes of butter and place in mixing bowl. Use microwave to melt butter being careful not to burn. Microwave on high for 15 seconds; take the butter out and stir, mixing thoroughly for 10 seconds; repeat process until butter is completely melted. Add pepper, seasoned salt, and garlic powder to the butter and mix thoroughly for 15 seconds.

3) Empty milk from freezer bag. It is not necessary to wash the milk from the dove or the bag; simply drain the bulk of it, if there is a little extra, no worries.

4) Poor the butter mix over the Dove. Seal the bag. Open a small 1 inch section of the ziplock bag and use your mouth to suck the air out of the bag. Being mindful of the fluid in the bag, you do not want to breath in any of the fluid, remove enough air so that the butter mixture contacts all surfaces of the dove. (Note: if you do not feel comfortable with this step you can simply make more of the butter mix until there is enough to fully submerge the dove in the mix).

5) Place the freezer bag into the refrigerator; Marinate dove in butter mix for at least 4 hours. I prepared the dove at night and let it stay overnight for a total of 15 hours.

Cooking:
1) Place all 8 dove in a casserole dish evenly-spaced with the bone side down. Place bag of butter mix in microwave for 15 seconds to partially melt content and poor over the breasts. Slice the bacon in half and wrap each dove horizontally making sure that the ends of the bacon rest underneath the breasts.

2) Add 1 cup of water to the dish.

3) Cover with aluminum foil and bake on 350 degrees for 1 hour 15 minutes.

Eating:
The meat should easily pull away from the bone and you should be able to squeeze it and pull it apart to check that the meet was thoroughly cooked. I peel the meet away from the bone in halves, cut the piece of bacon in half, and eat one half of the breast with one half of the bacon. It tastes very good this way.

Eat and enjoy! :)

P.S.
Making broth:
After eating the dove, scrape the bottom of the cassorole dish of all grease and dove parts into a sauce pan. Take the dove breast bones and chop them up by pulling apart. Place all bone fragments into the sauce pan with the pan scrapings. Fill saucepan with water and place a lid on top. Bring to a boil and reduce heat to very low. Let simmer for an hour. Strain fluid into a bowl. This is now a good dove broth that can be used to make gravy, or a mean stew. I save the broth from all of the dove and when I have a decent amount I make a stew.

xYourLocalAR15x
09-03-2008, 10:02 AM
great recipe. try buttermilk next time instead of milk, it does wonders!

i'll try this recipe out if i ever bag any dove