PDA

View Full Version : New Guy With Some Questions

Mark One
09-02-2008, 5:13 PM
Hello everyone,

I have been told about your site here by many people on other sites but haven't taken the time to register until today. I have lived in California my entire but have only been a firearm owner for about a year and a half. My collection is primarily WWI and WWII military surplus rifles such as Mosin Nagant 91/30's, M-44, M39, K98, Steyr M95 and a few others. But recently I have been in the need for something semi-auto. Maybe it because I was able to shoot a full auto M16 in North Carolina last month :D . Anyways I at first wanted a AK-47 but learned I would need to have a "Bullet Button" or "No Evil Features" I then thought a AR-15 would be a better choice only to find I needed to follow the same rules. So now I am in the market for a M1A, a little more expensive but the only thing I need to change is the Flash suppressor. But before I made my move I wanted to come here and ask some questions.

First, this new weapon will be used as a target/SHTF weapon and I was wondering; is the Bullet Button was really that much of a hassle?

Second, On the M1A one the only thing I have to change is the Flash Suppressor right? But then I can add anything I want besides the pistol grip correct?

Third, if anyone here lives around Southern California could you tell me of some good rifle ranges? I cant find any near me that go beyond 50 yards.

Thanks for your time
-Blake

ohsmily
09-02-2008, 5:39 PM
If you truly care about this stuff, then you should care enough to educate yourself on the legal issues. Here is some good information to get you started.

Here. Stop being confused and scared. Read the information in the following links.

http://www.calguns.net/caawid/flowchart.pdf

http://www.tenpercentfirearms.com/index.php?main_page=ar15

http://www.riflegear.com/t-evilfeatures.aspx

Mark One
09-02-2008, 6:03 PM
Thank you, I will have the information in those links memorized.

Greg-Dawg
09-02-2008, 6:06 PM
Welcome aboard!

Pilot
09-02-2008, 6:10 PM
where at in southern california do you live? i live in san diego out in jamul and i go to this range in dulzura thats about 10 minutes from me.

Mark One
09-02-2008, 6:14 PM
So if I understand this right.

As long as I build my own AR-15 with a OLL and have either a Bullet Button or a Prince 50 then I can have everything a normal AR-15 can have. Or I can have a monster man grip and use the detachable magazines without a tool.

Am I missing anything? It seems easy enough. I like the idea of the Prince 50, if I ever needed the weapon for a Zombie uprising I can just loosen the screw and detach the magazines.

So another question. What do you guys prefer for a target/SHTF weapon? AR-15? Or M1A?

Mark One
09-02-2008, 6:15 PM
where at in southern california do you live? i live in san diego out in jamul and i go to this range in dulzura thats about 10 minutes from me.

Sorry, I didnt see your post when I was typing mine.

I live in Aliso Viejo, near Laguna Beach.

BroncoBob
09-02-2008, 6:20 PM
Welcome to the forum.

AJAX22
09-02-2008, 6:21 PM
the saiga featurless AK47 varient is a good option, the trigger is in a more comfortable location and it has a standard stock. They are easily (and legally) modified to take standard AK47 magazines but will require some aditional components to be added (922r compliance parts)

they also make a 12 gauge shotgun version of the saiga ak47 ;) but a slightly different set of rules applies to that and they can be difficult to obtain.

The M1A is a solid well built battle rifle, it is a bit expensive to shoot, but so is everything else these days.

you have so many options it will blow your mind.

If you are able to, you really NEED to go out and visit Coldwar Shooters in Highland.

They have a wall of toys in there that will make you weak in the knees, litterally.

there are CA legal versions of:

Mp5
G3
Cetme
PSL
Sig556
UMP
AR15's of all shapes and sizes
AK47's
Saiga's in .308, 7.62x39, 5.45x39, .223, 12 gauge etc etc.
PS90's

and more... oh so much more...

bring a credit card with a high limit ;)

Pilot
09-02-2008, 6:21 PM
Sorry, I didnt see your post when I was typing mine.

I live in Aliso Viejo, near Laguna Beach.darn, thats a few hours from me

Mark One
09-02-2008, 6:49 PM
Well that's to bad.

It looks like I am stuck driving 2 hours to the nearest rifle range.

Now that I understand the laws a little better it is hard for be to decide on a AR-15 or a M1A. How much could I build a good AR-15 for? Or buy one?

Also, is there a way to get directions to that Cold War Shooters? I cant find it on their website.

Mark One
09-02-2008, 6:56 PM
I also wanted to ask.

Lets say I either build or buy a AR-15 with a Bullet button or Prince 50. If I move can I take the Bullet button or Prince 50 out? Or is it one of those things where once its in its always in?

ke6guj
09-02-2008, 7:09 PM
Also, is there a way to get directions to that Cold War Shooters? I cant find it on their website.
check out CWS's forum, http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/forumdisplay.php?f=112
7750 PALM AVE
UNIT G
HIGHLAND 92346
909 425-1300
915 479-8558

YOu should be able to toss that into yahoo maps or something and get directions. Basically it is just east of San Bernardino to give you an idea.

I'd call first to make sure they are gonna be open before you make that long a drive. Sometimes they are closed on weekends if they're doing a gunshow.

I also wanted to ask.

Lets say I either build or buy a AR-15 with a Bullet button or Prince 50. If I move can I take the Bullet button or Prince 50 out? Or is it one of those things where once its in its always in?They aren't welded or glued in, so they can be removed.

Pilot
09-02-2008, 7:44 PM
Well that's to bad.

It looks like I am stuck driving 2 hours to the nearest rifle range.

Now that I understand the laws a little better it is hard for be to decide on a AR-15 or a M1A. How much could I build a good AR-15 for? Or buy one?

i dont have much experiene with guns, but the m1a is a damn good rifle...a lot more recoil than the ar-15 though..

Mark One
09-02-2008, 8:08 PM
Thanks for the info on Cold War Shooters. My next day off I am going to try and make a run up there (with pay check).

As for recoil, I am use to shooting Mosin Nagants. So it is hard for me to judge these new commercial firearms.

I'll have some serious thinking to do on what rifle I want. I want to get one before the elections in case anything changes and plan on getting at least one of each model if things stay the same.

Thanks again for the welcome and all of the help.

Pilot
09-02-2008, 8:13 PM
have you thought about an m1 garand, if you can find one? a bit pricey im sure, but even better in my opinion than the m1a or ar-15. it has power, accuracy, and that "class" of a good ww2 rifle.

Guntech
09-02-2008, 8:13 PM
So if I understand this right.

As long as I build my own AR-15 with a OLL and have either a Bullet Button or a Prince 50 then I can have everything a normal AR-15 can have. Or I can have a monster man grip and use the detachable magazines without a tool.

Am I missing anything? It seems easy enough. I like the idea of the Prince 50, if I ever needed the weapon for a Zombie uprising I can just loosen the screw and detach the magazines.

So another question. What do you guys prefer for a target/SHTF weapon? AR-15? Or M1A?

With MMG and detachable mag you can have no evil features...That means no Bayonet lug, no flash hider

Patriot
09-02-2008, 8:17 PM
First, this new weapon will be used as a target/SHTF weapon and I was wondering; is the Bullet Button was really that much of a hassle?

The chances of needing a SHTF weapon are admittedly slim...however, though the BB is well-designed and not terribly inconvenient for range use, I would not opt for the additional complexity on a go-to weapon.

Murphy's Law in conjunction with potential screwups due to stress or adrenaline... :eek: