PDA

View Full Version : Roll pin Punches, where?

Beej
09-02-2008, 1:39 PM
I live in North County San Diego and can't for the life of me find any place with roll pin punches so I can finally put together my AR. Anyone know of any local places that carry them? Any online spots for cheap? Midway sells them for $12.99 which is good but then they tack on a $3 special charge and want $12 more for shipping. Can't justify paying the extra $15 to ship a set of 4 roll pin punches.

MrSlippyFist
09-02-2008, 1:41 PM
Any set of punches you get at lowe's or harbor freight will work. Just be sure that you get one small enough (1/16") on up to about 1/4".

Mississippi
09-02-2008, 1:41 PM
Home Depot

jacques
09-02-2008, 1:44 PM
Sears

Beej
09-02-2008, 1:45 PM
Home depot have the roll pin punches? Or just regular punches?

Bruce3
09-02-2008, 2:01 PM
you don't need roll pin punches if your just assembling your lower, i used some el cheapo brass punches from ebay and they worked fine. i was able to put my lower together without a single scratch. i used the taped vise grips method and finished with punches. you may also want to look into getting a clevis pin to help install the front take down pin detent its only a dollar and will save you the trouble of looking for your detent that shot off.

mike22ca
09-02-2008, 2:04 PM
you don't need roll pin punches if your just assembling your lower, i used some el cheapo brass punches from ebay and they worked fine. i was able to put my lower together without a single scratch. i used the taped vise grips method and finished with punches. you may also want to look into getting a clevis pin to help install the front take down pin detent its only a dollar and will save you the trouble of looking for your detent that shot off.

+1, Ive used the same method on 4 lowers now no probs. I didnt have any probs with any take down detents or anything tho.

aplinker
09-02-2008, 2:09 PM
+1, Ive used the same method on 4 lowers now no probs. I didnt have any probs with any take down detents or anything tho.

You're one of the few without front takedown detent/spring issues.

I'd bet 1/3 have it fling.

The clevis pins are a cheap and excellent option - IMHO they should come with LPKs.

domokun
09-02-2008, 2:53 PM
I got me one of these John Masen kits from a gun show. It came with two sturdy hammers: a nylon and a brass hammer.

http://www.johnmasen.com/Merchant2/graphics/00000001/ma01full.gif (http://www.johnmasen.com/Merchant2/merchant.mv?Screen=PROD&Store_Code=J&Product_Code=MA01&Category_Code=TK)

It's one of the more well constructed hammer and punch set kits I've seen so far.

ocabj
09-02-2008, 2:55 PM
Gunsmithing tools? Brownells.

jumbopanda
09-02-2008, 2:58 PM
Midway does not charge that much for shipping, maybe you didn't meet the minimum order amount or something and they're taking on the difference.

mike22ca
09-02-2008, 3:22 PM

The clevis pins are a cheap and excellent option - IMHO they should come with LPKs.

I usually do that part in the bathroom just in case. Springs and detents would probably be a real ***** to find in carpet lol

chuck762
09-02-2008, 4:00 PM
I bought a set of roll pin punches and roll pin starter punches from Brownelles. The started punches are shorter to get stubborn pin moving with out bending or breaking the longer punches. If you do a lot of gun work it is worth the money for quality punches.
You can also get mayhew brand roll pin punches from machine shop sypply companies. I use those at work.

1911su16b870
09-02-2008, 4:04 PM
+1 on the special roll pin punches with the half-sphere on the end from Brownells.

kakpataka
09-02-2008, 4:08 PM
http://www.toolking.com/grip-on-tools_61135.aspx

shipped, it should be about 15.00 or so.

These will do the job. Its a good idea to have em.
The kit has about 9 roll punches. just make sure
you lube these punches after using them as they
tend to rust somewhat, or you can just get the
more expensive ones.

You are not likely to find roll pin punches locally.
I could not and I called around the whole sacto area.
No one had em and most places had no idea what they
were!

GuyW
09-02-2008, 4:20 PM
You guys are (taken all together) confusing....

Roll pins are hollow (never seen a punch that had a step in it to specifically fit roll pins) and somewhat springy. Used in some newer guns.

Old school steel-n-walnut guns of the better type used solid pins that were spherical-convex on the ends. They are often tapered (in a tapered hole), and go in only one way, and out one way.

Cheaper old guns may have had flat-ended solid pins.

The pin dictates (or should) which punch-type to use. Use the wrong one on the pin and you potentially screw 'em both up.

There are conventional punches - flat on the bottom. Steel, brass, (even flat nylon ends IIRC). Use 'em on flat-end or roll pins.

There are gun pin punches - semi-spherical concave on the end (to locate exactly on the round-ended gun pin).

Correct my errors please...

-hanko
09-02-2008, 4:46 PM

Roll pins are hollow (never seen a punch that had a step in it to specifically fit roll pins) and somewhat springy. Used in some newer guns.

A true roll pin punch has a small 'nub' on the end...the nub rests in the hollow of the pin. That allows you to drive the pin in or out without the punch slipping off the pin.

Find a tool store in your yellow pages that specializes in machinist tools...not likely to find a real roll pin punch at a big box store or your local hardware, with few exceptions

Roll pin starter punches are also available. They're drilled on the end to hold the pin. You'd use a starter punch to get the pin started (imagine that), and once started, finish the job with a regular roll pin punch. Brownells is the place.

Old school steel-n-walnut guns of the better type used solid pins that were spherical-convex on the ends. They are often tapered (in a tapered hole), and go in only one way, and out one way.

Punchs are made with a concave end to fit round-ended pins. Brownells is the place, again .

The pin dictates (or should) which punch-type to use. Use the wrong one on the pin and you potentially screw 'em both up.

There are conventional punches - flat on the bottom. Steel, brass, (even flat nylon ends IIRC). Use 'em on flat-end or roll pins.

There are gun pin punches - semi-spherical concave on the end (to locate exactly on the round-ended gun pin).

No errors;). Brownells excells v. Midway in quality, perhaps also in price but that depends on what you're buying. If you plan on using your tools to work on guns, go Brownells. If you're looking for a fast way to get a lower together, the vise grips procedure works; but it's a crutch if you don't have the correct punch.

hth

-hanko

chuck762
09-02-2008, 7:28 PM

Roll pin punch, also called spring pins

http://www.engineersedge.com/roll_pin.htm

Flat punch on a roll pin tends to slide off since there is little surface area.

A tapered pin is called oddly enough a... taper pin. AR15s usually use them on the front sight assembly to secure it to the barrel. Some have a slightl radius on it and some are flat. Use the appropriate punch.

bigdave1121
09-02-2008, 7:39 PM
Home Depot

Not according to the numb-nutted idiot I talked to at my local Home Depot. The guy didn't even know what I was talking about.

jacques
09-02-2008, 8:40 PM
I was looking around for a rivet set and nobody knew what it was....said those are really old. Nobody uses those any more.

45R
09-02-2008, 8:45 PM

No problems here :)

mossy
09-02-2008, 9:19 PM
i used a set of vice grips, with tape wrapped around the ends so it wont mess up the finish of the lower.

-hanko
09-02-2008, 9:30 PM
i used a set of vice grips, with tape wrapped around the ends so it wont mess up the finish of the lower.
With the correct punch you "wont mess up the finish of the lower".

-hanko

Rabidmonkey777
09-02-2008, 9:45 PM
Honest to god I used a nail and a ball peen hammer to set my pins, while the lower was clamped to my computer desk as I hunched over the build trying to complete it before the sun rose!!! I was up all night, and it turned out beautifully!! I love it!

DedEye
09-03-2008, 12:19 AM
I remember my first build and going to Home Depot trying to find roll pin punches. Confused expressions from the sales staff later, I just went home and used a hammer. It worked, but it wasn't the prettiest solution.

You just need a regular punch set, as others have mentioned.

r08ert209cali
09-03-2008, 1:20 AM
roll pin punches can be had localy from any snap-on tools truck.about 8 dollars each life time waranty.should not need them to assemble lower though.but if you want them with little wait this is your best bet.ps dont be shy just climb aboard.

c good
09-03-2008, 8:22 AM
Try Tool Depot in Encinitas. I don't know if they have them for sure but it's worth a try. c good

IllTemperedCur
09-03-2008, 8:51 AM
Online from McMaster Carr. Roll pin, brass, plastic and steel punches.